Rescuing Texas History, 2007 - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[1885 Fire Wagon]

Description: Photograph and description of Orange's volunteer firemen standing by a fire wagon in 1885. This is the oldest known picture of an Orange scene.
Date: 1885
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Heritage House Museum

[Ad for Silliman Hardware & Grocery Co.]

Description: Ad, which was in the Palestine Daily Herald for Silliman Hardware and Grocery Company, a business in Palestine which was founded in 1871. It was one of the largest hardware stores in the region toward the end of the 19th century. Proprietor was John H. Silliman and he and his family resided at 638 S. Magnolia.
Date: 1880~
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Palestine Public Library

Allie Bland's House and Cove School

Description: Photograph of the Cove School at left and Ms. Allie Bland's house on the right. There is a white-picket fence surrounding the yard of the house and the school. In front of the fence is a man in a dark suit and hat. Within the house yard are two women in long skirts and a man in a vest and hat. There are large trees with moss surrounding the buildings.
Date: 1885
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Heritage House Museum

[Amende School]

Description: Amende School was a private girls school which was located in Palestine before the advent of free public schools.
Date: 1880~
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[Avenue A - Palestine]

Description: Photo of a snowy Avenue A, Palestine taken December 24, 1887
Date: December 24, 1887
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

Bancroft Shingle Mill Crew in 1880

Description: Photograph of the Bancroft Shingle Mill Crew. There are twenty-seven men, all standing except seven who are seated. One row of men are standing on the ground and the other row is on a platform behind them. The men are wearing button-up shirts, some are wearing vests, suspenders or jackets and all except one are wearing hats. In the foreground are wooden beams and bits of wood. Written on or above some of the men are the numbers 1 through 10.
Date: 1880
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Heritage House Museum

[Collage of Photos Concerning Christopher Columbus Rogers]

Description: Top is the picture of Spring Street, or "Front" street, in Palestine looking as it did when Christopher Columbus Rogers ruled the pioneer metropolis with a smoking revolver. There were four saloons in the block to the left of the corner. Rogers died with his boots on in one of these establishments, Robertsons's saloon. The Colt pistol is supposed to have been used by Rogers in the killing of nine men. It was reported that after he shot a man, he retired the pistol and never used it again.
Date: 1880~
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[Crescent City Saloon]

Description: Photograph of men standing outside the Crescent City Saloon on the corner of Fourth and Front Streets in Orange, Texas.
Date: August 18, 1888
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: Heritage House Museum

[Dilley Rifle Company]

Description: Photo of the Dilley rifles in formation during what appears to be some kind of a parade up Avenue A in Palestine. Photo is taken looking toward the east. Note the tower from the jail in the background.
Date: 1880~
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Employees of T. Bancroft and Sons Shingle Mill]

Description: Employees of T. Bancroft and Sons Shingle Mill, Orange, Texas. Photo was taken in front of Dry Kiln at the rear of the mill in 1885. Top Row: George W. Bancroft, McKinley, Edwin "Tiny" Rosenbaum, Bob Mickelborough. George W. Curtis, Jim Fuller, Cal Bonneau, Edward Rosenbaum. Middle Row: E.W. Bancroft, Al Anderson, Trav Smith, Ashborn, Jim Childers, W.H. Ogden. Bottom Row: Palmer, Pombeff, Milton Holley, John Dupont, John Taylor, Mark Godwin, Eli Davis, Will McKinley, Joe Signoret, Trahan.
Date: 1885
Creator: The Fox Co.
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Heritage House Museum

[Engraving of the International Hotel - Palestine]

Description: Engraving of the International Hotel, which was once located at 313 Spring Street, Palestine. In 1873, following the coming of the railroad to town, the Laclede Hotel was built on this site, but was destroyed by fire in 1876. The following year, a Dr. Manning of Oakwood erected a brick building known as the International Hotel on that location. It was purchased in 1882 by Col. George Burkitt who turned over operations to Mrs. Emma Nolen. During her tenure, the property was known as the Nolen Hotel, but when she moved to St. Louis, Col. Burkitt himself took over the management. That building was razed in 1922 and the "new" O'Neill Hotel was built here. After many years of use, the hotel was sold a number of times. Despite halfhearted attempts to restore it, the condition of the building went downhill. It was demolished in August 1983 and the property is remains vacant today.
Date: 1880~
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Palestine Public Library

First Courthouse in Lipscomb

Description: Photograph of the first courthouse in Lipscomb, Texas. In the foreground is a field with tall grass and brush. The courthouse has a wooden fence around it and part of it is brick. On either side of the courthouse are two nearby houses and trees. Behind it is a windmill. Written on the photograph at the bottom is, "CourtHouse Lipscomb County 1887".
Date: 1887
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Wolf Creek Heritage Museum

[Gideon Gooch, J.P. Allen, N.W. Hunter and an Unidentified Man]

Description: The man sitting left was Mr. N.W. Hunter, the son of the pioneer, Dr. James Hunter, who came to Texas in 1838 and lived in Ft. Houston. Mr. N.W. Hunter was the father of Miss Kate Hunter, Mrs. J.L. Carson, and Miss Pauline Hunter. He was also the great grandfather of Malcolm Hunter. Mr. Gideon Gooch stands on the left and Mr. J.P. Allen stands on the right. The man sitting on the right is unidentified.
Date: 1880~
Creator: Rose, Philip H.
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission