Rescuing Texas History, 2007 - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Amende School]

Description: Amende School was a private girls school which was located in Palestine before the advent of free public schools.
Date: 1880~
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[Avenue A - Palestine]

Description: Photo of a snowy Avenue A, Palestine taken December 24, 1887
Date: December 24, 1887
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[Collage of Photos Concerning Christopher Columbus Rogers]

Description: Top is the picture of Spring Street, or "Front" street, in Palestine looking as it did when Christopher Columbus Rogers ruled the pioneer metropolis with a smoking revolver. There were four saloons in the block to the left of the corner. Rogers died with his boots on in one of these establishments, Robertsons's saloon. The Colt pistol is supposed to have been used by Rogers in the killing of nine men. It was reported that after he shot a man, he retired the pistol and never used it again.
Date: 1880~
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[Gideon Gooch, J.P. Allen, N.W. Hunter and an Unidentified Man]

Description: The man sitting left was Mr. N.W. Hunter, the son of the pioneer, Dr. James Hunter, who came to Texas in 1838 and lived in Ft. Houston. Mr. N.W. Hunter was the father of Miss Kate Hunter, Mrs. J.L. Carson, and Miss Pauline Hunter. He was also the great grandfather of Malcolm Hunter. Mr. Gideon Gooch stands on the left and Mr. J.P. Allen stands on the right. The man sitting on the right is unidentified.
Date: 1880~
Creator: Rose, Philip H.
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[I&GN Land Sales Poster]

Description: Photo of a poster used to attract immigrants to purchase homes in Texas along the Internation & Great Northern Railroad line.
Date: 1880~
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[I&GN Land Sales Poster]

Description: Photo of a poster used to attract immigrants to purchase homes in Texas along the Internation & Great Northern Railroad line.
Date: 1880~
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[Palestine Brass Band]

Description: Photo of a brass band that was based in Palestine in the mid 1880's. Left to right: - Dillar P.A. Kolstad Prof Armenda John Hunter Lee Wallace P. Burkett Ezell A.O. Lovely Michen Micheaux J.B. McKnight James Swinney - Olsen
Date: 1885~
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[Palestine Building - Corner of Spring and N. Sycamore]

Description: Photo of the building at the corner of Spring and N. Sycamore streets. This building was occupied by Durr's Book Store, Kolstad's Jewelry Store and A.W. Gregg's Law Office was in the front of the second floor. You can see the steeple of the St. Phillips church in the background. This church has since been moved to the opposite side of the street. At the rear end, north, was the Post Office. The Watson Hotel was across the street on the corner of N. Sycamore. The Episcopal church then stood where Bratton Drug Store was later located. The man on the horse is Dr. H.H. Link, the father of Drs. E.W. and H.R. Link. Standing alongside is Mr. Ben Broyles, George Broyles father. West on Spring Street were Barnes's Tin Shop, owned by Dr. George Barnes's father; Mr. John Hearne's Drug Store; at least two saloons, one owned by Joe Ampson and one by Sam Stein and in one of the saloons was a billiard hall. Mr. Stein was Mrs. J.W. Henry's father.
Date: 1880~
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[Palestine Fire Department]

Description: Photo of the men of the Palestine Fire Department, posing outside of firehouse #1, home of the Hope Hook and Ladder Company.
Date: 1880~
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[Palestine Fire Department]

Description: Photo of the men of the Palestine Fire Department, posing outside of firehouse #1, home of the Hope Hook and Ladder Company. They were apparently getting ready to be in some sort of parade as there is a float in the background.
Date: 1880~
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[N.R. Royall]

Description: N. R. Royall
Date: 1888
Creator: Bailey
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[Stern Wheeler H.A. Harvey Jr.]

Description: Photo of the Stern Wheeler H.A. Harvey Jr. This boat set a speed record of four days for completing the trip from Magnolia in southern Anderson County to Galveston, while fully loaded with cotton and other freight. In the picture, the steamboat is shown tied up at the Commerce Street landing in Dallas. After plying the Trinity River for several years, it was sold and sailed to Louisiana in 1898 when Trinity River navigation died out.
Date: 1880~
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[Third Anderson County Courthouse]

Description: Photograph of the third Anderson County Courthouse in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story brick building with stone accents and a taller tower on one corner.
Date: [1885..1916]
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[Three Members of the Dilley Rifles Company]

Description: Photograph of three members of the Dilley Rifles, Palestine. Back of photo identifies them as Warner Williams, Capt; George R. Howard, 1st Lt; and George McClintock, 2nd Lt.
Date: 1880~
Creator: Bailey & Terry
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[Unidentified Man]

Description: Photo of an unidentified man.
Date: 1880~
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission