Rescuing Texas History, 2007 - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[400 N. Queen - Redlands Hotel]

Description: Photograph of the south and west sides of the Redlands Hotel, on the corner of Oak and Queen streets, at 400 N. Queen in Palestine, Texas. It is a Two-Part Vertical Block building that has a U-shaped plan and load-bearing masonry walls, with Renaissance Revival-style architectural elements. Noteworthy features include the quoin-like brick in the end bays of the west and south elevations, and the entablature with large brackets.
Date: 1919~
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[400 N. Queen - Redlands Hotel]

Description: Photograph of the south and west sides of the Redlands Hotel, on the corner of Oak and Queen streets, at 400 N. Queen in Palestine, Texas. It is a Two-Part Vertical Block building that has a U-shaped plan and load-bearing masonry walls, with Renaissance Revival-style architectural elements. Noteworthy features include the quoin-like brick in the end bays of the west and south elevations, and the entablature with large brackets.
Date: 1919~
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[1917 Pumper]

Description: Photograph of a 1917 Pumper truck that won an award in LaFrance's 150th Anniversary Festivities in Elmira, New York.
Date: 1917
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Heritage House Museum

["Los Angeles Limited" in Cheyenne, Wyoming]

Description: Photograph of one of the Union Pacific Railroad's most famous passenger trains - the "Los Angeles Limited" headed by an Atlantic type 4-4-2 locomotive, Engine No. 116 as it passes through Cheyenne, Wyoming. The train consisted of seven handcrafted wooden cars - heated by potbellied iron stoves and illuminated by kerosene lamps.
Date: 1916~
Creator: Stimson, J.
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Museum of the American Railroad

Armistice Day Parade

Description: Photograph of an Armistice Day Parade in Orange, Texas on November 11, 1918. In the foreground is an American flag covered vehicle. A large crowd is moving towards the top of the photograph. Within the crowd are uniformed men, individuals and families. On the bottom left hand corner are wooden beams.
Date: November 11, 1918
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Heritage House Museum

[Army Hospital]

Description: Photograph of the Army Hospital after the hurricane of 1919 in Corpus Christi. Inscription on back of photo, " The remains of the Army Hospital (this used to be the Beach Hotel) These parts of the second story porch that are gone are concrete. Isn't much of the pretty lawn in sight now."
Date: 1919
Creator: Shirkey, Marie
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Corpus Christi Museum of Science and History

[Artesian Park]

Description: Photograph of flooded park and surrounding buildings after the 1919 hurricane in Corpus Christi. Inscribed on the back of the photo, "Sept. 1919 - Artesian Park - Looking east from Mesquite St. (La Playa Hotel on left - Tribble's Market - Givens Apts. and house across from it -)
Date: September 1919
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Corpus Christi Museum of Science and History

[Back of our house]

Description: Photograph of a damaged house in Corpus Christi, Texas around the time of a hurricane in 1919. Caption says, “Back of our house. Notice the windows also, where our kitchen used to be. We used to have to go up several steps to get into it, but not now."
Date: 1919
Creator: Shirkey, Marie
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Corpus Christi Museum of Science and History

[Back of Winona Hotel and Tribble's Meat Market]

Description: Photograph of buildings damaged in the 1919 hurricane in Corpus Christi. Inscribed on the back of the photo, "Back of the Winona Hotel and Tribble's Meat Market."
Date: 1919
Creator: Shirkey, Marie
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Corpus Christi Museum of Science and History

[Ben Parker Homestead]

Description: Photo of the Ben Parker Home, located west of Elkhart, Texas. People pictured are: (left to right) Ben J. Parker, Ross Parker, Lorene Parker, Estelle Parker (on porch), Joe Bailey Parker, Docia Parker (on porch in chair holding:) Dale Parker, Charm Parker, Jack Parker, Lucinda Ellen (Lula) Parker.
Date: 1911~
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Palestine Public Library

Birdseye View of Meridian

Description: Photo taken from top of Bosque Co. courthouse in Meridian, looking toward north, north east. Can see front and side of what is now the Lumpkin Bldg, going out Morgan St. Meridian College is in far background; the old mill to the back and side of the old church on Morgan St (Hwy 22). Scattered homes throughout country side. A "Rock Shop - Horseshoeing and General Repairs" sign on building behind what is now Barlett's Pharmacy.
Date: 1910~
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Bosque County Historical Commission

[Business Houses on Front Street]

Description: Photograph of a corner on Front and Fourth Street in Orange, Texas. Horse-drawn carts are on the streets. Where Smith Cleaners is now. Once was the longest bar in Texas. The Stark Building is to the right.
Date: 1910
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Heritage House Museum

["The California Limited"]

Description: Santa Fe's oldest name train - the California Limited stand in the Los Angeles California depot. This de Luxe passenger train headed by a beautiful ten wheeler, type 4-6-0 engine No. 53, with a consist of six superb passenger cars, all handcrafted wood - having open platforms and under body truss rods - has consummated its long journey - approximately 2,267 miles - requiring about 68 hours - from Chicago.
Date: 1910~
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Museum of the American Railroad

[Cars overturned on the beach]

Description: Photograph of overturned cars on the beach in Corpus Christi, Texas around the time of a hurricane in 1919. Caption says, "Cars left on the beach after the storm. You see how clean it is swept. So many places are swept so clean or are so wrecked that you actually can't tell what they were or hardly tell where you are."
Date: 1919
Creator: Shirkey, Marie
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Corpus Christi Museum of Science and History

[Chaparral and Aubrey Street]

Description: Photograph of building after the hurricane of 1919 in Corpus Christi. Inscribed on the back of the photo, "At the corner south of our house. the way things looked when we rolled in from Missouri - after lots of cleaning up had been done, our house located back of that house roof just below the X. See that big timber at the bottom of the roof? That's the kind that did a lot of the damage coming in from the gulf." Written on front of photo, "Cor. Chaparral and Aubrey Sts."
Date: 1919
Creator: Shirkey, Marie
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Corpus Christi Museum of Science and History

[Chaparral and Taylor Streets]

Description: Photograph of debris and damage left from the 1919 hurricane in Corpus Christi. Inscribed on the back of the photo, " Sept. 1919, Corner of Chaparral and Taylor Streets - Looking toward bluff - the wrecked house in the foreground was the Cross Studio."
Date: September 1919
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Corpus Christi Museum of Science and History

[Chaparral and Taylor Streets]

Description: Photograph of debris in the flooded intersection of Chaparral and Taylor Streets after the hurricane of 1919 in Corpus Christi. Inscription on the back of photo,"Corner of Chaparral and Taylor Streets, west from where the Pavilion and Seaside hotels were. Episcopalian Church about at X."
Date: 1919
Creator: Shirkey, Marie
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Corpus Christi Museum of Science and History

[Chaparral Street north of drug store with storm debris]

Description: Photograph of Chaparral Street, flooded with a large pile of debis. Plaza Hotel stands to the right. Inscription on back of photo reads, "Chaparral St. just north of the city Drug Store. X shows the Plaza Hotel (the one across from the park) out in the middle of the street. You know there were buildings all along where the vacant spots are now. The picture covers two blocks. X the Horne Apartments."
Date: 1919
Creator: Shirkey, Marie
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Corpus Christi Museum of Science and History

[Chaparral Street with trees down]

Description: Photograph of houses on Chaparral Street by the Seashore Club. Inscribed on the back of the photo, "Down by the Seashore Club (Loyd's Pier). Notice the pretty salt cedar from the arbor, also another if those big tree trunks. There have been streets here but not now." Written on the front of the photo, "Chaparral St."
Date: 1919
Creator: Shirkey, Marie
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Corpus Christi Museum of Science and History

[Chicago "Pay-Car"]

Description: This photograph portrays an unusual rail consist: Chicago and Western Indiana Railroad's Engine No. 202, a 2-6-2 type heading the "pay-car" in Chicago. In this era the railroad's tracks were being elevated throughout the metropolitan area.
Date: 1915~
Creator: Hastman, Lee
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Museum of the American Railroad

[Childress High School Football Coaches and Manager]

Description: Photograph of the coaches and manager of the Childress High School Football Team. They are posing with their arms around one another, shoulder to shoulder. The football team is visible in the background doing exercises.
Date: 1912
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Childress County Heritage Museum

[Christening of the Ship, War Marvel]

Description: Photograph of the christening and launching of the wooden ship, War Marvel, at National Shipbuilding Company in Orange, Texas. A scaffold stands at her bow holding the men and women taking part in the ceremony. Large American flags decorate her prow.
Date: 1918~
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Heritage House Museum

Clifton College Graduating Class of 1910

Description: Group of seven students posing for picture, three girls seated in front and two girls and two boys standing in back, the girls are wearing white dresses and the boys are wearing dark suits with white ties First row, left to right: Pauline Lewis, Georgie Swenson, Vela Oxford Standing in back: Jesse Eggin, Selma Peterson, Gordon Grimland, Helen Rea
Date: 1910
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Bosque County Historical Commission