Rescuing Texas History, 2007 - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[400 N. Queen - Redlands Hotel]

Description: Photograph of the south and west sides of the Redlands Hotel, on the corner of Oak and Queen streets, at 400 N. Queen in Palestine, Texas. It is a Two-Part Vertical Block building that has a U-shaped plan and load-bearing masonry walls, with Renaissance Revival-style architectural elements. Noteworthy features include the quoin-like brick in the end bays of the west and south elevations, and the entablature with large brackets.
Date: 1950~
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[407 E. Kolstad - Mallard Alexander House]

Description: Photograph of a light-colored house surrounded by a lawn and trees. One of the oldest homes in Palestine, this house was built using slave labor in 1848 by Judge John B. Mallard. Surrounded by stately oak and cedar trees, it continues to be on its original foundation of one and one-half foot cedar logs and has been repaired and remodeled by later owners. Marked by the State of Texas n 1952, it has been the home of the Forrest Bradberrys since 1957. Judge Mallard and his wife, the former Susan S. Scott, came to Texas from Mississippi in 1845 and settled at Old Fort Houston. In February 1846, he moved to Palestine, the new county seat of Anderson County which had been organized that same year, and purchased ten acres, known as the Mallard Block. This acreage was located just north of the then city limits which is now in Old Town Palestine. The Mallards had seven children including Mrs. Bettie Oder, a beloved teacher in Palestine for forty-six years. Mrs. Oder was born at this home in 1849 and died in Houston in 1940. Also born here was Mrs. Barbara Alexander Eppner. The first census of early Palestine was compiled n 1848 by Mrs. John Mallard, and included the families living in the original town site, a total of 148 whites and 31 negro slaves. Judge Mallard, the first lawyer to practice in Palestine, served as a member of the Fifth Texas Legislature, and was the second Chief Justice of Anderson County. In 1852, he formed a law partnership with Judge William Alexander and Judge John H. Reagan. In 1854, Judge Mallard died and on March 8, 1857, his widow married Judge Alexander. Judge William Alexander, born in Scotland on September 10, 1814, came to Galveston in 1850 and ...
Date: 1950~
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[601 E. Hodges - Elmwood]

Description: Photograph of the front and east side of "Elmwood," a white, two-story house located at 601 E. Hodges in Palestine, Texas. The house has a wrap-around porch and a two-story pedimented portico with Ionic-style columns; these elements altered the original Queen Anne-style architecture.
Date: 1950~
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[601 E. Hodges - Elmwood]

Description: Photograph of the front and east side of "Elmwood," a white, two-story house located at 601 E. Hodges in Palestine, Texas. The house has a wrap-around porch and a two-story pedimented portico with Ionic-style columns; these elements altered the original Queen Anne-style architecture.
Date: 1950~
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[638 S. Magnolia - Silliman House]

Description: Photograph of the front and north side of the Silliman House, a two-story, brick Georgian Revival-style house located at 638 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It has some stone accents including light-colored quoins on the corners.
Date: 1950~
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[1003 N. Link - H.H. Link House]

Description: Photograph of the front and south side of the "H.H. Link House" located at 1003 N. Link in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story, white house with both Queen Anne and Classical Revival-style architectures, including two-story Ionic columns across the front. The foreground of this image is blurred, obscuring part of the house.
Date: 1950~
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

50000th Telephone in Austin

Description: Woman talking on telephone, men standing and smiling
Date: January 1, 1950
Creator: Douglass, Neal
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Adult Choir]

Description: Photograph of the First Christian Church Adult Choir. Back row - left to right: A.E. Catanach, not know, not known, Peg Catanach, Curtis Lacy, not known, Ralph Breelove, not known, not known, McIntosh, Austine Mills. Front row - left to right: Mathilda Steed, not known, Mildred Allgood, Gladys Lacy, Lolly Prafka, Alma Rigsby, Allene Breedlove, not known, Peggy McIntosh, Willie Mae West.
Date: 1950
Creator: Pridgen's Studio
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: First Christian Church of Port Arthur

[Aerial View of Orange, Texas]

Description: Aerial photograph of Orange, Texas. Many of the buildings in the photograph are now gone. Mrs. Lutcher Stark of Orange bought most of the downtown properties and built a performing arts theater and museum. The buildings that did survive are mostly occupied by Lamar University, Orange extension. The Sabine River is on the lower left.
Date: 1950
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Heritage House Museum

Aerial views

Description: Looking NW from about the north approach from Lamar bridge. At the lower right, RR tracks cross Lamar Blvd. and note the RR Depot in the mid center of photograph and the water tank toward the bottom left. West 6th St runs in the center from left to right.
Date: April 18, 1950
Creator: Douglass, neal
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Aerial views - East Avenue Highway

Description: Aerial photograph of downtown Austin. The photograph shows a view of downtown Austin from East Avenue highway during the construction of IH 35. The intersection is Airport Boulevard on the foreground, with the golf course on the right hand side in the middle of the photo, which later became Hancock Center, the first shopping center in Austin.
Date: September 20, 1950
Creator: Douglass, Neal
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Aerial views - East Avenue Highway

Description: Aerial view of neighborhood south of the University of Texas in foreground, with the University Campus in the center and the Capitol and downtown visible above Texas Memorial Stadium. Red River Street is prominent in the frame.
Date: September 20, 1950
Creator: Douglass, Neal
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Aerial views - East Avenue Highway

Description: Aerial view of State Capitol and north downtown, looking north to the University of Texas. East Avenue on the far right corner of the photograph.
Date: September 20, 1950
Creator: Douglass, Neal
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library