Rescuing Texas History, 2007 - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Aerial View of Orange, Texas]

Description: Aerial photograph of Orange, Texas. Many of the buildings in the photograph are now gone. Mrs. Lutcher Stark of Orange bought most of the downtown properties and built a performing arts theater and museum. The buildings that did survive are mostly occupied by Lamar University, Orange extension. The Sabine River is on the lower left.
Date: 1950
Partner: Heritage House Museum

Bridge Between Port Arthur and Orange, Texas

Description: Photographic postcard of the cantilever bridge crossing the Neches River in Southeast Texas. It connects Port Arthur with Bridge City in Orange County. It is the highest bridge in Texas and is now known as the Rainbow Bridge. The card was mailed Dec 10, 1950 from Orange, Texas.
Date: 1950~
Partner: Heritage House Museum

[Classroom at Tilley School]

Description: Photograph of two students in a classroom at the Tilley School in Orange, Texas. They are pointing to a poster of book covers of American biographies. Looking on are Principal Myrtle Richardson ans teacher Mary Lynn Weir.
Date: 1950
Partner: Heritage House Museum

[Crime Scene in Orange, Texas]

Description: Photograph of a crime scene. L - R : Captain L.B. Haydon, Deputy Sheriff Red Bland, Robert Charles Henderson, Alton Williams, and Sheriff Chester Holt. A victim named Mrs. Nick Leon was leaving Weingarten's on Turrett Rd. when she was robbed and stabbed. Henderson was the suspect. He was arrested on September 15, 1952 for the offence.
Date: 1952
Partner: Heritage House Museum

[First Presbyterian Church]

Description: Photograph of the First Presbyterian Church in Orange, Texas. This building is also know as the Lutcher Memorial Building because it was was planned, built and underwritten by Mrs. Henry Jacob (Frances Ann) Lutcher as a memorial to the Henry Jacob Lutcher Family. It is an example of classic Greek Revival architecture, completed in 1912. It was one of the earliest air-conditioned buildings in the United States. The church has a large copper dome, large granite Corinthian columns on the front, and exquisite stained-glass windows.
Date: 1950
Partner: Heritage House Museum