Rescuing Texas History, 2007 - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[400 N. Queen - Redlands Hotel]

Description: Photograph of the south and west sides of the Redlands Hotel, on the corner of Oak and Queen streets, at 400 N. Queen in Palestine, Texas. It is a Two-Part Vertical Block building that has a U-shaped plan and load-bearing masonry walls, with Renaissance Revival-style architectural elements. Noteworthy features include the quoin-like brick in the end bays of the west and south elevations, and the entablature with large brackets.
Date: 1950~
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[407 E. Kolstad - Mallard Alexander House]

Description: Photograph of the Mallard Alexander House located at 407 E. Kolstad in Palestine, Texas. It is a light-colored house surrounded by a lawn and trees, with a circular drive partially visible on the right side of the image.
Date: 1950~
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[601 E. Hodges - Elmwood]

Description: Photograph of the front and east side of "Elmwood," a white, two-story house located at 601 E. Hodges in Palestine, Texas. The house has a wrap-around porch and a two-story pedimented portico with Ionic-style columns; these elements altered the original Queen Anne-style architecture.
Date: 1950~
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[601 E. Hodges - Elmwood]

Description: Photograph of the front and east side of "Elmwood," a white, two-story house located at 601 E. Hodges in Palestine, Texas. The house has a wrap-around porch and a two-story pedimented portico with Ionic-style columns; these elements altered the original Queen Anne-style architecture.
Date: 1950~
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[638 S. Magnolia - Silliman House]

Description: Photograph of the front and north side of the Silliman House, a two-story, brick Georgian Revival-style house located at 638 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It has some stone accents including light-colored quoins on the corners.
Date: 1950~
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[1003 N. Link - H.H. Link House]

Description: Photograph of the front and south side of the "H.H. Link House" located at 1003 N. Link in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story, white house with both Queen Anne and Classical Revival-style architectures, including two-story Ionic columns across the front. The foreground of this image is blurred, obscuring part of the house.
Date: 1950~
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Anderson Campground - Brushy Creek Arbor]

Description: This is a photo of the Anderson County Campground. There is a Texas Historical Commission Marker at the site, which was dedicated on September 6, 1981. That same day a National Register of Historic Places designation was also given to the site. Commonly called the Brushy Creek Arbor, Anderson Campground has a long and well known history. During the 1850's, the nearby area was settled with families, most of whom had come from a place called Brushy Creek, which was in Anderson County, South Carolina. By the 1870's a religious campground was constructed, with water provided from a nearby Artesian spring. Families came and stayed for days, bringing their own food, bedding, and supplies. Sermons were preached several times a day. Religious camp meetings were popular in the late 1800's and early 1900's, although there are few visible signs remaining. This arbor is one of the few that has survived intact for over 130 years. Both the church associated with it, Brushy Creek United Methodist, and the arbor itself have changed very little. The total area covers 5.6 acres. Although the last camp meetings were held in the 1930's, the arbor continued to be used for weeklong summer revivals into the 1950's. On the first Sunday of each September, a large homecoming of descendants of the early Brushy Creek families is held at the arbor. A program, business meeting, and meal are part of the agenda, plus a guest speaker and recognition of families. the annual homecoming is a popular, well-attended event. Many descendants still live in the county.
Date: 1950~
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Anderson County Courthouse]

Description: Photograph of the southwest corner of the Anderson County Courthouse, located at 500 N. Church in Palestine, Texas. The three-story building has Classical Revival-style elements including Ionic columns across the front. There is a dome topped with a statue of Lady Justice in the center of the roof and there are awnings on all of the windows.
Date: 1950~
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Anderson County Courthouse]

Description: Photograph of the west side of the Anderson County Courthouse, located at 500 N. Church in Palestine, Texas. The three-story building has Classical Revival-style elements including Ionic columns across the front. There is a dome topped with a statue of Lady Justice in the center of the roof and there are awnings on all of the windows.
Date: 1950~
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Burning of the Railroad YMCA]

Description: Burning of the Railroad YMCA. The Railroad YMCA opened in April of 1903 and continued as the YMCA until the building burned in the mid 1950's. The building faced South Magnolia and was on the lot in front of the present Railroad General Office Building.
Date: 1955~
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Interior of St. Phillips Episcopal Church - Palestine]

Description: Photo of the interior of the St. Phillips Episcopal Church, Palestine. It was originally built c. 1870 on the corner of Crawford and Sycamore Streets in Palestine and was moved across Sycamore Street about 1909, which is where it sits today.
Date: 1950~
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Palestine Depot]

Description: Photograph of the Palestine Train Depot. This building was torn down sometime in the 1980's.
Date: 1950~
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Palestine Train Depot]

Description: Photograph of the Palestine Train Depot. This building was torn down sometime in the 1980's.
Date: 1950~
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Palestine Public Library