Rescuing Texas History, 2007 - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

Texas Ave

Description: Photograph of a portion of the business area in Kemah, Texas along Clear Creek during a typical high tide. Water from Clear Creek has filled several parking lots and has crossed the street in areas. Several cars are parked at various businesses. A motel, seafood restaurant, tire shop, grocery store, and auto parts store are pictured.
Date: April 20, 1973
Creator: Clear Lake Photography
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Kemah Historical Society

Texas Ave at high tide

Description: Photograph of a portion of the business area in Kemah, Texas along Clear Creek during a typical high tide. Several cars are parked in the lot of a lounge and pharmacy on Texas Ave. The water from Clear Creek has filled the parking lot and has reached the street.
Date: April 20, 1973
Creator: Clear Lake Photography
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Kemah Historical Society

[Madison Gas Station/Store - 109 South Main Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Mr. Madison's Ford Gas Station and Store on Ogden Street. Reportedly the first Ford agency in Del Rio in 1920.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Val Verde County Historical Commission

[Railroad House - 114 East Martin Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Southern Pacific Railroad built house for workers; built by John Taini.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Val Verde County Historical Commission

[Railroad House - 112 East Martin Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Southern Pacific Railroad house built for workers; built by John Taini.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Val Verde County Historical Commission

[Railroad House - 110 East Martin Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Southern Pacific Railroad built house for workers; built by John Taini.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Val Verde County Historical Commission

[Railroad Rooms - 109 West Martin Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Mr. White and Mr. McGity built early "rooms" for Southern Pacific Railroad employees. Facility is adobe.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Val Verde County Historical Commission

[Charles Miller home - 112 West Martin Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Reportedly Charles Miller came to Del Rio with the Southern Pacific Railroad as a painter, built one of the first hotels in town, and served as Justice of the Peace; house built by John Taini.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Val Verde County Historical Commission

[Madison Garage - Corner Martin and South Main Streets]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Reportedly Mr. Madison's first Ford garage, built by Mr. Randall; later used by school district as bus repair shop. No longer standing.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Val Verde County Historical Commission

[Taylor Duke Commercial Building - Main Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Reportedly Taylor Duke Meat Market was built by Mr. Randall; later used for other commercial enterprises.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Val Verde County Historical Commission

[Old Federal Building - Corner of Main and Broadway]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Built by the United States government in 1915-16, this Italian Renaissance structure originally housed the Post Office as well as the Federal Court system; c. 1995 it became the Val Verde County Judicial Center.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Val Verde County Historical Commission

[Del Rio News Herald - Corner Main and Broadway Streets]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Reportedly the building originally housed a bakery, restaurant, and print shop during the early 20th century. The Del Rio News Herald covered the original facade to look more modern. At turn of 21st century, The Herald restaurant restored the building to its original look.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Val Verde County Historical Commission

[Marcy Martin - Main Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Reportedly built as a grocery store; served as "western" store at time of photo.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Val Verde County Historical Commission

[F. C. Blaine Home -- Broadway Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Reportedly home built by F. C. Blaine in the 1880s who sold it to Mr. Ware (who had built the "Opera House" in 1886, later known as "Rita Theatre" and later as "Paul Poag Theatre"); First Church of Christ Scientist owned home at time of photo. Later note on survey says the building was "destroyed 1978."
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Val Verde County Historical Commission

[Duke Home - 108 East Broadway]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Victorian style home used as an office in 1976.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Val Verde County Historical Commission

[Railroad House - East Martin Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Southern Pacific Railroad built house for workers; built by John Taini.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Val Verde County Historical Commission

[Price Lumber Company - a - 43? South Main Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Reportedly built originally by Mr. Price for the Price Lumber Company; serving as carpet store in 1976. Adobe structure.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Val Verde County Historical Commission

[Tom Payne Building - 432 South Main Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Tin building altered from original construction reportedly sometime between 1885-1900; orginally used as a store; used as a store by Gordon Walton in 1976. (other side of alley for Price Lumber Building)
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Val Verde County Historical Commission

[Walton Building - a - 432 South Main Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Appears this building is attached to Tom Payne Building and reportedly built as a store in 1922; operated as a store by owner Gordon Walton in 1976.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Val Verde County Historical Commission