Rescuing Texas History, 2007 - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[The Old Pilgrim Church - Elkhart, Texas]

Description: Photograph of a replica of the original Pilgrim Church, built near the later brick church just outside of Elkhart, Texas. It is a one-story log building and the wooden front door is open. A Texas Historical Commission plaque is posted on a stone to the right of the building; the Pilgrim Cemetery is partially visible in the background.
Date: 1979~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[717 S. Sycamore]

Description: Photograph of the front and south side of a two-story frame house located in 717 S. Sycamore in Palestine, Texas. It has Queen Anne-style details on the porch woodwoork and gable ends with Italianate-style influences (including round-arched upper sashes on the second floor windows, and pedimented architraves).
Date: 1979~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[1003 N. Link - H.H. Link House]

Description: Photograph of the front of the "H.H. Link House" located at 1003 N. Link in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story, white house with both Queen Anne and Classical Revival-style architectures, including two-story Ionic columns across the front.
Date: unknown
Location Info:
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[501 S. Magnolia]

Description: Photograph of the south side of a two-story house located at 501 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. The house is brick on the first floor with wooden siding on the front and upper floor, painted light brown or beige with dark brown shutters.
Date: 1979~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[921 N. Cedar - Bailey - Summers House]

Description: Close-up of the southeast corner of the "Bailey-Summers House," a two-story, Classical Revival-style house located at 921 N. Cedar St. in Palestine, Texas. The dominant architectural feature is the front portico with two-story Ionic columns.
Date: 1979~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[619 S. Sycamore - A.R. Howard Home]

Description: Photograph of the front and south side of "A.R. Howard Home," a two-story, Victorian Italianate-style house located at 619 S. Sycamore in Palestine, Texas. This house is noteworthy because of its load-bearing masonry (brick) construction and its segmental-arched openings, bracketed eaves, and low-pitched roof. The house is behind a brick fence with metal ornamentation.
Date: 1965~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[Soldier in Spanish American War Uniform]

Description: The man in this photograph has been tentatively identified as having been a soldier during the Spanish American war. On the back of the photograph it reads "Property of J.F. Grigsby - 408 So. Sycamore Street, Palestine Texas". The photo is now owned by the Anderson County Historical Commission.
Date: 1898~
Creator: Bushnell
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[Vannoy Cafe]

Description: Photograph of the interior of the Vannoy Cafe. Several men and a young boy are seated at the counter; one gentleman is standing next to an open seat. Three women are behind the counter. The young woman seated at the window on the right side of the photograph has been identified as Oneta Faye Killebrew Tyer, and the woman standing beside her as Mrs. Jean Vannoy. Various items are stacked on the counter and shelf against the wall. The front door and windows are visible in the background.
Date: 1960~
Creator: Watkins Studio
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[Texas Theater - 213 W. Crawford]

Description: Photograph of the front of the Texas Theater, part of the 200 Block of W. Crawford Street in Palestine, Texas. The building is made of brick and has masonry embellishments on the facade. There is a "Texas" sign on the front of the building and several signs are visible above the box office, one says "The Brasher Dubloon."
Date: 1950~
Location Info:
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission