Rescuing Texas History, 2007 - 140 Matching Results

Search Results

[Rainbow & Veteran's Memorial Bridges]

Description: Color photo postcard picturing the new Veteran's Memorial Bridge in front of the older Rainbow Bridge. These bridges connect Bridge City and Port Arthur, Texas over the Neches River. Written on the back of the card, "Twin bridges span the Neches River connecting Bridg City & Port Arthur. The cable-stayed Veteran's Memorial Bridge was dedicated on Sept. 8, 1990, 52 years after the Rainbow Bridge. The clearance of the new bridge is 143 feet; the old bridge is 176 feet." It is postmarked Bridge City, Texas on Sept 8, 1990.
Date: August 1990
Creator: Chiasson, Charlotte
Partner: Heritage House Museum

[Hanging Tree - Orange, Texas]

Description: Sepia photograph picturing a lynching in the "hanging tree" at Fifth and Front Street in Orange, Texas in 1888. Across the street is a saloon. Many spectators are watching, including children. A steam engine is standing by in the background.
Date: August 18, 1888
Partner: Heritage House Museum

[Photograph of Fleet Berthing Facilities, Orange, Texas]

Description: Photograph of a fleet berthing facility near Orange, Texas. There is a large pier with several large boats on top and behind it. In the center of the peer is a large tower with cables. In the background is a tree-covered hill and in the foreground is a stretch of water. Typed across the bottom right hand corner is, "Brown and Root Inc. Contract NOy 13243, Fleet Berthing Facilities, Orange/Texas, View of Pier 1 From Pier 2, 8/2/46, NO 64".
Date: August 2, 1946
Partner: Heritage House Museum

Follett, Texas Main Street, 1918

Description: Photograph looking straight down the main street of Follett, Texas. The street is a dirt road. On the left side of the road are electric poles and five buildings. On the right side of the road in the foreground is a field of brush, three tanks in front of a wooden building with a sign that says, "GARAGE", and three other buildings. The foreground is the dirt road.
Date: August 22, 1918
Partner: Wolf Creek Heritage Museum

[New Edition to the Timothy Wall at the First Christian Church]

Description: Photograph of Edward Anderson, the new Timothy at First Christian Church, honored by having his photo hung on the Timothy Wall in the narthex of the sanctuary. In photo, left to right: John M. Hughes, Minister; Mary Jane Anderson, Eddie's wife; Glynn Lowther, Deacon; Edward Anderson receiving a congratulatory handshake from Charles Poston, Chairman of the Official Board; Miss Verna Evelyn Johnson, Minister of Education; and E.M. Reeder, Church elder.
Date: August 31, 1958
Creator: J.C. Watkins Photography
Partner: First Christian Church of Port Arthur

[First Christian Church Chuck Wagon Supper]

Description: Photograph of the First Christian Church Chuck Wagon Supper on grounds of the historic home, Rose Hill, adjacent to the Sabine-Neches Waterway and at foot of Woodworth Blvd. at Lakeshore Drive. A large number of people are congregating around several picnic tables and chairs.
Date: August 30, 1957
Creator: J.C. Watkins Photography
Partner: First Christian Church of Port Arthur

Vaughn Building

Description: Exterior view of The Vaughn Building at 805 Brazos. Businesses advertised in window are Bechtol-Parsons-Doss Insurance and George Meyer Real Estate.
Date: August 25, 1960
Creator: Douglass, Neal
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library