Rescuing Texas History, 2007 - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Orange Jail, 1888]

Description: Photograph of the Orange Jail in 1888. It is a small building on the river's edge.
Date: 1888
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Heritage House Museum

[Crescent City Saloon]

Description: Photograph of men standing outside the Crescent City Saloon on the corner of Fourth and Front Streets in Orange, Texas.
Date: August 18, 1888
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: Heritage House Museum

[Hanging Tree - Orange, Texas]

Description: Sepia photograph picturing a lynching in the "hanging tree" at Fifth and Front Street in Orange, Texas in 1888. Across the street is a saloon. Many spectators are watching, including children. A steam engine is standing by in the background.
Date: August 18, 1888
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Heritage House Museum

[Employees of T. Bancroft and Sons Shingle Mill]

Description: Employees of T. Bancroft and Sons Shingle Mill, Orange, Texas. Photo was taken in front of Dry Kiln at the rear of the mill in 1885. Top Row: George W. Bancroft, McKinley, Edwin "Tiny" Rosenbaum, Bob Mickelborough. George W. Curtis, Jim Fuller, Cal Bonneau, Edward Rosenbaum. Middle Row: E.W. Bancroft, Al Anderson, Trav Smith, Ashborn, Jim Childers, W.H. Ogden. Bottom Row: Palmer, Pombeff, Milton Holley, John Dupont, John Taylor, Mark Godwin, Eli Davis, Will McKinley, Joe Signoret, Trahan.
Date: 1885
Creator: The Fox Co.
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Heritage House Museum

Bancroft Shingle Mill Crew in 1880

Description: Photograph of the Bancroft Shingle Mill Crew. There are twenty-seven men, all standing except seven who are seated. One row of men are standing on the ground and the other row is on a platform behind them. The men are wearing button-up shirts, some are wearing vests, suspenders or jackets and all except one are wearing hats. In the foreground are wooden beams and bits of wood. Written on or above some of the men are the numbers 1 through 10.
Date: 1880
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Heritage House Museum

[1885 Fire Wagon]

Description: Photograph and description of Orange's volunteer firemen standing by a fire wagon in 1885. This is the oldest known picture of an Orange scene.
Date: 1885
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Heritage House Museum

[Steamboat Pearl Plant]

Description: Photograph of steamboat "Pearl Plant" near Front at Third Street. There are many people on the decks on the boat. The steamboat has two large smoke stacks. There is a man smoking a pipe on the bottom left of the photograph.
Date: 1880~/1889~
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Heritage House Museum

Allie Bland's House and Cove School

Description: Photograph of the Cove School at left and Ms. Allie Bland's house on the right. There is a white-picket fence surrounding the yard of the house and the school. In front of the fence is a man in a dark suit and hat. Within the house yard are two women in long skirts and a man in a vest and hat. There are large trees with moss surrounding the buildings.
Date: 1885
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Heritage House Museum

First Courthouse in Lipscomb

Description: Photograph of the first courthouse in Lipscomb, Texas. In the foreground is a field with tall grass and brush. The courthouse has a wooden fence around it and part of it is brick. On either side of the courthouse are two nearby houses and trees. Behind it is a windmill. Written on the photograph at the bottom is, "CourtHouse Lipscomb County 1887".
Date: 1887
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Wolf Creek Heritage Museum

[Amende School]

Description: Amende School was a private girls school which was located in Palestine before the advent of free public schools.
Date: 1880~
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[Gideon Gooch, J.P. Allen, N.W. Hunter and an Unidentified Man]

Description: The man sitting left was Mr. N.W. Hunter, the son of the pioneer, Dr. James Hunter, who came to Texas in 1838 and lived in Ft. Houston. Mr. N.W. Hunter was the father of Miss Kate Hunter, Mrs. J.L. Carson, and Miss Pauline Hunter. He was also the great grandfather of Malcolm Hunter. Mr. Gideon Gooch stands on the left and Mr. J.P. Allen stands on the right. The man sitting on the right is unidentified.
Date: 1880~
Creator: Rose, Philip H.
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[Palestine Fire Department]

Description: Photo of the men of the Palestine Fire Department, posing outside of firehouse #1, home of the Hope Hook and Ladder Company.
Date: 1880~
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[Palestine Brass Band]

Description: Photo of a brass band that was based in Palestine in the mid 1880's. Left to right: - Dillar P.A. Kolstad Prof Armenda John Hunter Lee Wallace P. Burkett Ezell A.O. Lovely Michen Micheaux J.B. McKnight James Swinney - Olsen
Date: 1885~
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[Avenue A - Palestine]

Description: Photo of a snowy Avenue A, Palestine taken December 24, 1887
Date: December 24, 1887
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[Palestine Building - Corner of Spring and N. Sycamore]

Description: Photo of the building at the corner of Spring and N. Sycamore streets. This building was occupied by Durr's Book Store, Kolstad's Jewelry Store and A.W. Gregg's Law Office was in the front of the second floor. You can see the steeple of the St. Phillips church in the background. This church has since been moved to the opposite side of the street. At the rear end, north, was the Post Office. The Watson Hotel was across the street on the corner of N. Sycamore. The Episcopal church then stood where Bratton Drug Store was later located. The man on the horse is Dr. H.H. Link, the father of Drs. E.W. and H.R. Link. Standing alongside is Mr. Ben Broyles, George Broyles father. West on Spring Street were Barnes's Tin Shop, owned by Dr. George Barnes's father; Mr. John Hearne's Drug Store; at least two saloons, one owned by Joe Ampson and one by Sam Stein and in one of the saloons was a billiard hall. Mr. Stein was Mrs. J.W. Henry's father.
Date: 1880~
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[Palestine Fire Department]

Description: Photo of the men of the Palestine Fire Department, posing outside of firehouse #1, home of the Hope Hook and Ladder Company. They were apparently getting ready to be in some sort of parade as there is a float in the background.
Date: 1880~
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[Stern Wheeler H.A. Harvey Jr.]

Description: Photo of the Stern Wheeler H.A. Harvey Jr. This boat set a speed record of four days for completing the trip from Magnolia in southern Anderson County to Galveston, while fully loaded with cotton and other freight. In the picture, the steamboat is shown tied up at the Commerce Street landing in Dallas. After plying the Trinity River for several years, it was sold and sailed to Louisiana in 1898 when Trinity River navigation died out.
Date: 1880~
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission