Rescuing Texas History, 2007 - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Interior of the Stark Museum of Art]

Description: Photograph of the atrium of the Stark Museum of Art in Orange, Texas. Janis Zilker Becker motions towards the Frederic Remington sculpture named The Broncho Buster which is displayed along with two of his other bronzes. Jennifer Stafford looks on from the right. There are five Navajo blankets hanging on a wall above them.
Date: March 28, 1993
Partner: Heritage House Museum

Judge and Elizabeth Neff

Description: Portrait of Judge Neff and Mrs. Elizabeth Neff
Date: May 16, 1995
Partner: Heritage House Museum

Lipscomb Street North of Courthouse, 1998

Description: Photograph of a Lipscomb Street north of the Courthouse. There are three old, historically preserved buildings. The building closest building on the left side of the frame is white with a porch. The building in the middle is wooden and the third building on the right side of the frame is wooden with a tin roof. To side of the first building is an old wooden wagon. In front of the first building is a telephone pole and hitching post. There are tiny yellow flowers all over the ground.
Date: 1998
Partner: Wolf Creek Heritage Museum

[Choraliers Visit Avery Island, Louisiana]

Description: Photograph of the choraliers visit to Avery Island, Louisiana. Left to right: Sharon (Mary Ann Murphy's granddaughter), Margret Anne Blitch, Dan and Audrey Daniel, Lois Bryan, Angie Bowers, Rose Merriman, Mary Ann Murphy, Jack Cansler, and Lois Copeland.
Date: May 13, 1998
Partner: First Christian Church of Port Arthur

[Choraliers Visit Avery Island, Louisiana]

Description: Photograph of the Choraliers visit to Avery Island, Louisiana. Left to right: Angie Bowers, Bill Kettrick, Lois Copeland, Bob Bowers, Edna Nixon, Rex Copeland, Audrey Daniel, Lois Bryan, Jim Sutherline, and Bill Hauck, minister.
Date: May 13, 1998
Partner: First Christian Church of Port Arthur

Building where Norden Bomb Sight was stored

Description: Photograph of a building at the Childress Army Air Field in which the Norden Bombsight was stored. The building is dilapidated. The photograph was taken prior to restoration attempts.
Date: September 5, 1997
Partner: Childress County Heritage Museum

T Patch Memorial in Dallas

Description: Photograph of a memorial in honor of the Texas 36th Infantry Division who were among the first to invade Hitler's Europe in World War II. The memorial contains a brief summary of the T Patchers actions during the war and a list of some awards and citations the division received. L. M. Buddy and Katie Sinclair dedicated the memorial.
Date: 1991-05-30~
Partner: Sulphur Springs Public Library

T Patch Memorial in Dallas

Description: Photograph of a memorial in honor of the Texas 36th Infantry Division who were among the first to invade Hitler's Europe in World War II. The memorial contains a brief summary of the T Patchers actions during the war and a list of some awards and citations the division received. L. M. Buddy and Katie Sinclair dedicated the memorial.
Date: 1991-05-30~
Partner: Sulphur Springs Public Library

Buddy and Katie Sinclair Dallas, TX, T Patch Memorial

Description: Photograph of L. M. "Buddy" and Katie Sinclair standing beside the memorial that they dedicated in honor of the "Texas" 36th Infantry Division. The soldiers in the division were the first American troops to invade Hitler's Europe at Salerno Beach, Italy on September 9, 1943. The monument also contains a brief summary of the division's actions during World War II and contains a list of the awards and citations the division received.
Date: 1996-09-07~
Partner: Sulphur Springs Public Library

[Dismantling old water tower, removing the top]

Description: A crane removing the top half of the tank of the municipal water tower. The tower was erected in 1923 and held 50,000 gallons of water.
Date: March 15, 1999
Creator: Henderson, John
Partner: Sanger Public Library

[Dismantling old water tower, full shot]

Description: The crane is in place to dismantle the minicipal water tower. Originally purchased October 15, 1923 for $5,650 from Pittsburgh - Des Moines Steel Co. Dallas, TX. Held 50,000 gallons of water.
Date: March 15, 1999
Creator: Henderson, John
Partner: Sanger Public Library

[House at 1248 S. Royall]

Description: Photograph of the front of a white, two-story, Four Square-style frame house located at 1248 S. Royall in Palestine, Texas. It has a wrap-around porch with double columns on red-brick piers. A tree is in the foreground, to the right of the front walk.
Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[1305 S. Sycamore - Broyles House]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for the "William and Caroline Broyles House" outside the front entrance. Text: A native of Huntsville, Alabama, William Broyles came to Texas following the Civil War. Traveling by boat to Shreveport, Louisiana, he continued his journey to Texas on foot, finally settling in Palestine. Broyles worked as a carpenter and later opened a mercantile store near the Anderson County courthouse. Following the arrival of the railroad and the subsequent relocation of the town, he opened the first store in the new townsite. In 1878 he established a lumber business which eventually included a lumberyard, saw mill, and cabinet shop. A real estate investor as well as merchant, Broyles played an important role in the economic development of Palestine. He had this home built for his wife, Caroline, in 1895. Designed by local architect Luther McKlemurry, the home is a fine example of 19th-century eclecticism, exhibiting influences of Italianate, Queen Anne, and Second Empire styles. Outstanding features include its tower, roof cresting, and fine milled woodwork crafted by workers at Broyles' lumber company. Landscaping originally surrounding the home included elaborate flower gardens and an adjacent pecan orchard.
Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[1211 S. Sycamore]

Description: Photograph of the front of a white, two-story house with blue accents, located at 1211 S. Sycamore in Palestine, Texas. It has Queen Anne-style architecture including an angled, two-story tower on the northwest corner.
Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[1103 S. Sycamore]

Description: Photograph of the front and side of a white, one-story house located at 1103 S. Sycamore in Palestine, Texas. It has a green roof and Queen Anne-style details, including Doric-like columns along the porch, and the front gable end with jigsawn bargeboard, turned pedant, and shingled siding.
Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[House at 408 S. Sycamore]

Description: Photograph of the front and part of the south side of a blue, one-story frame house with white accents, located at 408 S. Sycamore in Palestine, Texas. The house has some Queen Anne-style details, including cut-away corners on the side bay and decorative woodwork around the front porch; it also has stained-glass windows in the upper, dormer window. Part of a neighboring house and a stone fence are visible on the right of the image.
Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[716 S. Sycamore]

Description: Photograph of the southwest corner of a yellow, two-story, Victorian-style house with a wrap-around porch located at 716 S. Sycamore in Palestine, Texas.
Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Cunningham House]

Description: Photograph of the front of a two-story, Victorian-style house painted yellow with white trim, located in Palestine, Texas. It was once occupied by the Cunningham Family.
Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Historical Marker: Palestine High School]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Palestine High School in Palestine, Texas. Text: A public school system in Palestine was established in 1881 under control of the municipal government, the first classes were held at the old Palestine Female Institute (built in 1858), then a high school was built in 1888 at the institute site on Avenue A. In 1915 voters passed a $100,000 bond issue for a new high school. The city council chose this site in newly created, 22-acre Reagan Park for the campus. Fort Worth architects Sanguinet & Staats were chosen for the design, which features Tudor Gothic -- or Jacobethan -- detail in brick, limestone, and occasional tile panels. The 2-story structure, on a raised basement, is framed with reinforced concrete, allowing ample window space for air and light. The original plan included eight lecture rooms, a library, a gymnasium, laboratories, and an auditorium. A principal and 10 teachers comprised the first faculty, and the first graduating class in 1917 contained 38 students. This building became a junior high in 1939, and was named in 1955 for John Henninger Reagan (1818-1905), Texas statesman and Palestine resident. Elementary grades were assigned here from 1966 to 1976, when the school was closed. The building was then preserved and rehabilitated as a museum and cultural center.
Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Reagan School - 400 S. Michaux]

Description: Photograph of the front of the Reagan School located at 400 S. Michaux in Palestine, Texas. The three-story brick building has Tudor Revival-style architectural features and served as a school for various grades between 1916 and 1976, later becoming a museum.
Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Dilley Foundry Office Bldg - 601 S. May]

Description: Photograph of the south side of the Dilley Foundry Office Building, located at 601 S. May in Palestine, Texas. It is a one-story frame building, resembling a center-passage house There is a porch running the length of the south side of the house that has decorative jigsawn woodwork.
Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[814 S. Sycamore - Campbell - Pennybacker House]

Description: Photograph of the front of the "Pennybacker Campbell House," a 2 ½-story, white, frame, Queen Anne-style house located at 814 S. Sycamore in Palestine, Texas.
Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Pennybacker-Campbell-Wommack House]

Description: Close-up photograph of the historic marker for the Pennybacker-Campbell-Wommack House located at 814 S. Sycamore in Palestine, Texas. Text: "Silk Stocking Row" Victorian residence built in 1890. Noted as family home of Mrs. Percy V. Pennybacker (1861-1938), teacher, author of widely-used school History of Texas, first Texan president General Federation Women's Clubs. Purchased 1900 by Thomas M. Campbell (1856-1923), famous lawyer, banker, governor of Texas in 1907-1911. Enlarged by Gov. Campbell, house is now property of great-grandson, Drew Wommack, Jr. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1969.
Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library