Rescuing Texas History, 2007 - 104 Matching Results

Search Results

[Roundhouse at Gainesville, Texas]

Description: Santa Fe Railway's nine-stall roundhouse at Gainesville, Texas on February 27, 1938. Locomotives, laying over between freight runs, are two Consolidations, type 2-8-0, Nos. 1904 and 1910; one Mikado, type 2-8-2, No. 4051; and one yard switcher, type 0-8-0, No. 787.
Date: February 27, 1938
Creator: Mizell, Charles M.
Partner: Museum of the American Railroad

[Cincinnati Union Station]

Description: One of the nation's greatest railroad terminals, the Cincinnati Union Station, March 1933. This terminal was designed to accommodate, daily, 17,000 people and 216 trains (108 inbound and 108 outbound). This station has eight platforms serving 16 tracks. Each platform has length of 1,600 feet. This terminal represents a total investment in excess of forty-one million dollars.
Date: March 1933
Creator: Nowak, Ed
Partner: Museum of the American Railroad

[The Train That Brought FDR to Childress, Texas]

Description: Photograph of a steam engine traveling across an open field. There are parked cars waiting along both sides of the train tracks and the drivers are waiting outside their cars. President Franklin D. Roosevelt is a passenger on the train according to the handwriting on the edge of the photograph.
Date: 1938
Creator: Stanford Studio
Partner: Childress County Heritage Museum

Dust Storm in Perryton, Texas

Description: Photograph of enormous dust clouds engulfing the town of Perryton, Texas. Across the bottom is written, "Dust Storm - Perryton, Texas. April 14, 1935. No. 4. The Perry Studio - Perryton, Texas".
Date: April 14, 1935
Creator: The Perry Studio
Partner: Wolf Creek Heritage Museum

[1003 N. Link - H.H. Link House]

Description: Close-up photograph of the front walk leading to the entrance of the "H.H. Link House" located at 1003 N. Link in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story, white house with both Queen Anne and Classical Revival-style architectures, including two-story Ionic columns across the front.
Date: 1930~
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[1003 N. Link - H.H. Link House]

Description: Photograph of the front of the "H.H. Link House" located at 1003 N. Link in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story, white house with both Queen Anne and Classical Revival-style architectures, including two-story Ionic columns across the front.
Date: 1930~
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[1101 N. Perry - Howard House]

Description: The Howard House was the former home of Colonel George Howard and his wife, Cornelia Cox Howard. Built in 1851 the house is located on land deeded August 17, 1850 to Colonel Howard from Judge Reuben Reeves and his wife, Sarah. Colonel Howard and Mrs. Howard came to Palestine from Tennessee in 1849. Given the title of Colonel when he organized a company of men during the Civil War, he later served in the Texas Legislature, held several county offices and was Mayor of Palestine from 1886-1887. Colonel Howard was an active merchant in Palestine and in 1855 his store was located on the east side of the courthouse square. The Howard House of Greek revival influence is one of the best preserved examples of the ante bellum homes in the city. A walk of handmade brick leads to the house with its pillared portico and a center hall runs through the house with rooms on either side. There are a number of furnishings and other interesting items which are original to the house including a beautifully carved piano. The home remained in the possession of descendants of the Howard family until it was purchased by the City of Palestine on November 23, 1964 for a museum. Since that time it has been repaired and is being furnished by various organizations for meetings.
Date: 1930~
Partner: Palestine Public Library