Rescuing Texas History, 2007 - 7,573 Matching Results

Search Results

[Bascoms Chapel Methodist Church - Palestine]

Description: There has been an active Methodist presence in Palestine since about 1850. At that time the only local congregation met in Bascom’s Chapel, an extant building located at 812 N. Mallard, which has since been converted into a private residence. During the early 20th century the original congregation split, with some members establishing this church, the Centenary Methodist Church, and some founding Grace United Methodist Church, located just north of downtown.
Date: 1850~
Partner: Palestine Public Library

Eugene, Arthur and Mrs. Thomas Bancroft

Description: Photograph of Mrs. Thomas Bancroft and her two sons, Eugene William Bancroft on her right and Arthur J. Bancroft on her left. Mrs. Bancroft is wearing a dark dress, white gloves, lace collar and a bonnet with a large bow tied underneath her chin. She has her arm around Eugene who is wearing a dark dress with white collar. Arthur is wearing a dark outfit with white collar.
Date: 1858
Partner: Heritage House Museum

[Letter from Jacob De Cordova, dated Nov. 20, 1859]

Description: Letter from Jacob De Cordova, dated Nov. 20, 1850 to "My dear Doctor," probably Thomas Moore of Burnet County. Discusses his travels through Texas, and various land transactions. He directs that any letters sent by Phin be forwarded to Graham. Phineas De Cordova was Jacob De Cordova's brother and partner in their Land agent business.
Date: November 20, 1859
Creator: De Cordova, Jacob Raphael
Partner: Bosque County Historical Commission

[School Children in Palestine]

Description: Photo of children from Palestine area. Age is estimated on Keah Kolstad's age as about 12: Back Row - Left to Right: John Jackson Albert Joast Keah Kolstad Sue Watts Prof. Dechard Mrs. Dechard Texanna Prew Ott Reeves John Link Second Roy - Right to Left: Ella Friend Bea Kirksey Lizzie McCoy Edd Link George Howard Wilber Joast Alice Watts Jimmie Howard Billie Jackson Ben Howard Front Row - Right to Left: Sue Alexander Lizzie Unger Fannie Unger Teta Kirksey Barbara Alexander
Date: 1865~
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[Early "California Limited" entering Los Angeles]

Description: One of the early "California Limiteds" entering the suburbs of Los Angeles, possibly dating from the late 1870's. The ten-wheeler, type 4-6-0, heading the train bears an original Santa Fe engine No. 54, indicative of ancient age. At the turn of the century the Santa Fe owned a large fleet of these locomotives: 478 ten-wheelers; these were versatile engines, known as "Jack of all Trades." However, no steam locomotives of this type were built to Santa Fe blueprints later than 1901. Observe the consist: the old weather-worn wooden railway post office car in the lead and the other open-platform wooden cars - all heated by potbellied iron stoves which burned wood or coal, and illuminated by kerosene. In this era, travel by rail had potential hazards but its popularity never waned.
Date: 1870~
Partner: Museum of the American Railroad