Rescuing Texas History, 2007 - 198 Matching Results

Search Results

[1003 N. Link - H.H. Link House]

Description: Photograph of the front and south side of the "H.H. Link House" located at 1003 N. Link in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story, white house with both Queen Anne and Classical Revival-style architectures, including two-story Ionic columns across the front. The foreground of this image is blurred, obscuring part of the house.
Date: 1950~
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Anderson Campground - Brushy Creek Arbor]

Description: This is a photo of the Anderson County Campground. There is a Texas Historical Commission Marker at the site, which was dedicated on September 6, 1981. That same day a National Register of Historic Places designation was also given to the site. Commonly called the Brushy Creek Arbor, Anderson Campground has a long and well known history. During the 1850's, the nearby area was settled with families, most of whom had come from a place called Brushy Creek, which was in Anderson County, South Carolina. By the 1870's a religious campground was constructed, with water provided from a nearby Artesian spring. Families came and stayed for days, bringing their own food, bedding, and supplies. Sermons were preached several times a day. Religious camp meetings were popular in the late 1800's and early 1900's, although there are few visible signs remaining. This arbor is one of the few that has survived intact for over 130 years. Both the church associated with it, Brushy Creek United Methodist, and the arbor itself have changed very little. The total area covers 5.6 acres. Although the last camp meetings were held in the 1930's, the arbor continued to be used for weeklong summer revivals into the 1950's. On the first Sunday of each September, a large homecoming of descendants of the early Brushy Creek families is held at the arbor. A program, business meeting, and meal are part of the agenda, plus a guest speaker and recognition of families. the annual homecoming is a popular, well-attended event. Many descendants still live in the county.
Date: 1950~
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Anderson County Courthouse]

Description: Photograph of the west side of the Anderson County Courthouse, located at 500 N. Church in Palestine, Texas. The three-story building has Classical Revival-style elements including Ionic columns across the front. There is a dome topped with a statue of Lady Justice in the center of the roof and there are awnings on all of the windows.
Date: 1950~
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

Bridge Between Port Arthur and Orange, Texas

Description: Photographic postcard of the cantilever bridge crossing the Neches River in Southeast Texas. It connects Port Arthur with Bridge City in Orange County. It is the highest bridge in Texas and is now known as the Rainbow Bridge. The card was mailed Dec 10, 1950 from Orange, Texas.
Date: 1950~
Partner: Heritage House Museum

[Classroom at Tilley School]

Description: Photograph of two students in a classroom at the Tilley School in Orange, Texas. They are pointing to a poster of book covers of American biographies. Looking on are Principal Myrtle Richardson ans teacher Mary Lynn Weir.
Date: 1950
Partner: Heritage House Museum

[Dossman-Rueter Wedding #9]

Description: Photograph of a group of people, identified as the wedding party in the Dossman-Rueter wedding, posing together in front of a church alter. The bride and groom are standing in the center of the front row, with three women to the right and three men to the left. Behind them is a second row of two women (left) and two men (right). In the background, decorative woodwork is visible on the wall behind the alter, as well as a crucifix, lit candles, and windows on either side of the alter area.
Date: [1950..1959]
Creator: Blewitt, William
Partner: Bosque County Historical Commission

[Hassell-Foster Funeral Home - 207 S. Magnolia]

Description: Photograph of the front of the Hassell-Foster Funeral Home, which was located at 207 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It is a three-story stucco building with a square tower on the corner. It has a wrap-around porch that has Queen Anne-style turned-wood posts and decorative woodwork. A sign outside the front entrance says "Hassell-Foster Funeral Home" ad several cars are parked on the right side of the image, near a second entrance that has a canopy.
Date: 1950~
Location Info:
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission