Rescuing Texas History, 2007 - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Letter to Henry DeBarger, March 29th, 1841]

Description: Letter to Henry DeBarger of York, Pa. from someone in the paper mill business in Philadelphia. Signature of person sending the letter is indecipherable.
Date: March 29, 1841
Partner: Private Collection of Caroline R. Scrivner Richards

Republic of Texas Land Grant Certificate

Description: This is a land grant from the Republic of Texas. It is to James Cole of Robertson County and is signed by Sam Houston.
Date: March 28, 1844
Partner: Dallas Heritage Village

Eugene, Arthur and Mrs. Thomas Bancroft

Description: Photograph of Mrs. Thomas Bancroft and her two sons, Eugene William Bancroft on her right and Arthur J. Bancroft on her left. Mrs. Bancroft is wearing a dark dress, white gloves, lace collar and a bonnet with a large bow tied underneath her chin. She has her arm around Eugene who is wearing a dark dress with white collar. Arthur is wearing a dark outfit with white collar.
Date: 1858
Partner: Heritage House Museum

[Bancroft Family]

Description: Oval photo of Mrs. Thomas Bancroft with her sons, Eugene and Arthur. She wears a bonnet with lace around the opening. She is seated between her sons.
Date: 1861~
Partner: Heritage House Museum

New Map of the State of Texas 1874

Description: This is a map of the state of Texas from 1874. It was prepared for Morphis' History of Texas.
Date: 1874
Creator: G.W. & C.B. Colton & Co.
Partner: Dallas Heritage Village

[600 Block S. May - Dilley's Iron Foundry]

Description: Illinois-native George Mansfield Dilley, the prominent railroad-building contractor who played an instrumental role in the expansion of railroads throughout Texas and the South, established this foundry in 1873, one year after the railroad arrived in Palestine. The George M. Dilley & Son Foundry, located adjacent to the I&GN tracks, at one time contained more than ten buildings. The enterprise manufactured some farm equipment and machinery, but its primary output was gray iron and brass castings for Texas railroads. The elder Dilley moved to Dallas in the 1880s, but the foundry continued to be run by his son, George Edward Dilley – one of Palestine’s most prominent citizens of the late 19th century. G.E. Dilley continued operations at the foundry until his death in 1932; his son Clarence V. Dilley then took over until his own death five years later. In the mid-1930s, the plant had an average payroll of about twenty thousand dollars, for a workforce of twenty to twenty-five men. The foundry ceased operations in the late 1930s. All that remains today are the frame office building, the nearby brick brass furnace building, and a lengthy iron fence which borders the property and faces May Street (which local historians believe was named after G.M. Dilley’s infant daughter, Edna May Dilley, who died in 1872).
Date: 1875~
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[600 Block S. May - Dilley's Iron Foundry]

Description: Illinois-native George Mansfield Dilley, the prominent railroad-building contractor who played an instrumental role in the expansion of railroads throughout Texas and the South, established this foundry in 1873, one year after the railroad arrived in Palestine. The George M. Dilley & Son Foundry, located adjacent to the I&GN tracks, at one time contained more than ten buildings. The enterprise manufactured some farm equipment and machinery, but its primary output was gray iron and brass castings for Texas railroads. The elder Dilley moved to Dallas in the 1880s, but the foundry continued to be run by his son, George Edward Dilley – one of Palestine’s most prominent citizens of the late 19th century. G.E. Dilley continued operations at the foundry until his death in 1932; his son Clarence V. Dilley then took over until his own death five years later. In the mid-1930s, the plant had an average payroll of about twenty thousand dollars, for a workforce of twenty to twenty-five men. The foundry ceased operations in the late 1930s. All that remains today are the frame office building, the nearby brick brass furnace building, and a lengthy iron fence which borders the property and faces May Street (which local historians believe was named after G.M. Dilley’s infant daughter, Edna May Dilley, who died in 1872).
Date: 1875~
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Spring Street - Palestine]

Description: Photo of Spring Street in Palestine with a view of the railroad tracks and a wooden depot.
Date: 1879~
Partner: Palestine Public Library

Bancroft Shingle Mill Crew in 1880

Description: Photograph of the Bancroft Shingle Mill Crew. There are twenty-seven men, all standing except seven who are seated. One row of men are standing on the ground and the other row is on a platform behind them. The men are wearing button-up shirts, some are wearing vests, suspenders or jackets and all except one are wearing hats. In the foreground are wooden beams and bits of wood. Written on or above some of the men are the numbers 1 through 10.
Date: 1880
Partner: Heritage House Museum

First Catholic Church built in 1880

Description: First Catholic church built in 1880 at Pine and Sixth Streets. This church was formerly known as St. Vitalis
Date: 1880~
Partner: Heritage House Museum

[George W. Michaels]

Description: Photograph of George W. Michaels around 1880.
Date: 1880~
Partner: Heritage House Museum

[Palestine Building - Corner of Spring Str & N. Sycamore]

Description: Photograph of a two-story building complex at the corner of Spring and N. Sycamore streets in Palestine, Texas. There is a two-story wrap-around porch on the corner; the suites on the left side of the building have entrances only on the first floor. This building was occupied by Durr's Book Store, Kolstad's Jewelry Store and A.W. Gregg's Law Office was in the front of the second floor. You can see the steeple of the St. Phillips church in the background. There are people standing in the street and around the entrances.
Date: 1880~
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Photo - Drawing of Heards Hotel]

Description: Adjusted photograph of a drawing of Heards Hotel, which was later called the Stern Hotel, Palestine.
Date: 1880~
Creator: Briggs, Osjetea
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Spring Street - Palestine]

Description: Photo of an Spring Street (once Front Street) in Palestine, Texas. Railroad tracks are visible, as well as the original wooden depot.
Date: 1880~
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Steamboat Pearl Plant]

Description: Photograph of steamboat "Pearl Plant" near Front at Third Street. There are many people on the decks on the boat. The steamboat has two large smoke stacks. There is a man smoking a pipe on the bottom left of the photograph.
Date: 1880~/1889~
Partner: Heritage House Museum

[Caroline McGuire Street]

Description: Caroline McGuire Street, born Jan 2, 1880.
Date: 1881
Partner: Private Collection of Caroline R. Scrivner Richards

[Caroline McGuire Street]

Description: Caroline McGuire Street, born Jan 2, 1880.
Date: 1882
Partner: Private Collection of Caroline R. Scrivner Richards

[Wedding Portrait of Mr. & Mrs. Dan Sullivan]

Description: This is a framed wedding portrait of Dan Sullivan and Mary Horkan. He is seated in a dark suit. She stands beside him. She is wearing a long white dress.
Date: 1883
Partner: Dallas Heritage Village

[1885 Fire Wagon]

Description: Photograph and description of Orange's volunteer firemen standing by a fire wagon in 1885. This is the oldest known picture of an Orange scene.
Date: 1885
Partner: Heritage House Museum