Rescuing Texas History, 2007 - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Hunting Camp]

Description: Photo of a group of men at a hunter camp in Anderson County.
Date: c. 1880
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Hunting Camp]

Description: Photo of a group of hunters at their camp in Anderson County.
Date: c. 1880
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Palestine Building - Corner of Spring and N. Sycamore]

Description: Photo of the building at the corner of Spring and N. Sycamore streets. This building was occupied by Durr's Book Store, Kolstad's Jewelry Store and A.W. Gregg's Law Office was in the front of the second floor. You can see the steeple of the St. Phillips church in the background. This church has since been moved to the opposite side of the street. At the rear end, north, was the Post Office. The Watson Hotel was across the street on the corner of N. Sycamore. The Episcopal church then stood where Bratton Drug Store was later located. The man on the horse is Dr. H.H. Link, the father of Drs. E.W. and H.R. Link. Standing alongside is Mr. Ben Broyles, George Broyles father. West on Spring Street were Barnes's Tin Shop, owned by Dr. George Barnes's father; Mr. John Hearne's Drug Store; at least two saloons, one owned by Joe Ampson and one by Sam Stein and in one of the saloons was a billiard hall. Mr. Stein was Mrs. J.W. Henry's father.
Date: c. 1880
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Palestine Fire Department]

Description: Photo of the men of the Palestine Fire Department, posing outside of firehouse #1, home of the Hope Hook and Ladder Company.
Date: c. 1880
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Palestine Fire Department]

Description: Photo of the men of the Palestine Fire Department, posing outside of firehouse #1, home of the Hope Hook and Ladder Company.
Date: c. 1880
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Palestine Fire Department]

Description: Photo of the men of the Palestine Fire Department, posing outside of firehouse #1, home of the Hope Hook and Ladder Company. They were apparently getting ready to be in some sort of parade as there is a float in the background.
Date: c. 1880
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Photo - Drawing of Heards Hotel]

Description: Adjusted photograph of a drawing of Heards Hotel, which was later called the Stern Hotel, Palestine.
Date: c. 1880
Creator: Osjetea Briggs
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Second Anderson County Courthouse]

Description: Photo of the second Courthouse that stood in Palestine, Anderson County. It served the county from approximately 1860 until 1885.
Date: c. 1880
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Spring Street - Palestine]

Description: Photo of Spring Street, Palestine, taking looking toward the west.
Date: c. 1880
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Third Anderson County Courthouse]

Description: In 1885, Palestine, like most of the country, was in the midst of a depression, complicated by a series of railroad strikes, so there was little new construction. However, Anderson County had to have a new courthouse because the old one was literally falling down. And they were determined to have the finest and most up-to-date building that could be constructed. The Architect that was hired was William C. Dodson of Waco and building commenced in June of 1885 after demolition was completed on the old building. It was completed in May 1886 at a cost of $40,000 and was indeed impressive looking with it's tall three story dome and clocktower. The life of the building was cut short when a couple of incendiaries set fire to it on the night of January 6, 1913, in order to destroy evidence against one of them. The plan failed because the actual court records were housed in fireproof rooms, which were not damaged.
Date: c. 1885
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Third Anderson County Courthouse]

Description: Photograph of an ornate building identified as the Anderson County Courthouse in Palestine, Texas. In the foreground, the lawn has been landscaped. In 1885, Palestine, like most of the country, was in the midst of a depression, complicated by a series of railroad strikes, so there was little new construction. However, Anderson County had to have a new courthouse because the old one was literally falling down. And they were determined to have the finest and most up-to-date building that could be constructed. The Architect that was hired was William C. Dodson of Waco and building commenced in June of 1885 after demolition was completed on the old building. It was completed in May 1886 at a cost of $40,000 and was indeed impressive looking with it's tall three story dome and clocktower. The life of the building was cut short when a couple of incendiaries set fire to it on the night of January 6, 1913, in order to destroy evidence against one of them. The plan failed because the actual court records were housed in fireproof rooms, which were not damaged.
Date: c. 1885
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Unidentified Church]

Description: Photo of an undentified church in Palestine.
Date: c. 1880
Partner: Palestine Public Library