Rescuing Texas History, 2007 - 431 Matching Results

Search Results

[410 Avenue A - First Presbyterian Church]

Description: Copy negative of the front of the First Presbyterian Church, located at 410 Avenue A in Palestine, Texas. It is a red-brick building with white stone accents that has a Gothic architecture design including leaded stained glass and Tiffany memorial windows. There is a tall silver spire above the tower on the left side of the building. A smaller building is visible to the left.
Date: 1900~
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[411 S. Sycamore - A.S. Fox Home]

Description: Photograph of a family on the lawn of the A.S. Fox home, located at 411 S. Sycamore in Palestine, Texas. There are two young girls wearing light-colored dresses, standing on the left side of the image and looking at a spouting fountain in the yard; a man is standing on the right side of the image, holding a toddler. The house is visible in the background. It is a two-story, light-colored building with two chimneys and a widow's walk on the room, as well as a wrap-around front porch with woodwork. A woman is standing on the porch looking toward the camera. A smaller, more ornate building is also visible on the far left of the image.
Date: 1900~
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

5th Street and Avenue D in Clifton

Description: View of the building at the southeast corner of Avenue D and 5th Street in downtown Clifton. The building contains J. M. Brock's Drug Store (on the corner), Greer's Barber Shop (on Avenue D), and The Clifton Record (on 5th Street). This building was destroyed by fire on December 23, 1905.
Date: 1900~/1910~
Partner: Bosque County Historical Commission

5th Street in Clifton, North Side

Description: View of the north side of Fifth Street in downtown Clifton, Texas. The building in the foreground is on the southeast corner of Avenue D and 5th Street and was destroyed by fire on December 23, 1905. The Clifton Record newspaper office can be seen on the left side of this building. The building in the background is on the southwest corner of Avenue D and 5th Street.
Date: 1900~/1910~
Partner: Bosque County Historical Commission

[Anderson County Jail]

Description: This is a photograph of the second Anderson County Jail. The jail was built on the southwest corner of the courthouse square in 1879-80. It was, at the time, the most architecturally advanced building on the square of Palestine. Its clock tower, rising one floor beyond the two-story sheriff’s office and jail, could be seen all the way to New Town, the part of town near the railroad depot. The jail was used until 1931, when it was considered inadequate for county needs. It was torn down and a more modern structure built, the three-story white brick building that now stands on the site.
Date: 1900~
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[The "Banner Limited"]

Description: Wabash Railway's The "Banner Limited" dating from the turn of the century, traverses the 286 mile route between St. Louis and Chicago. It was a daylight train - No. 11 southbound and No. 10 northbound - operating on a schedule of about seven hours. In this photograph the "Banner Limited" is headed by an Atlantic type 4-4-2 locomotive, engine No. 602, with a consist of old wooden cars which have underbody truss rods and open platforms. As early as June 1916, this train was cited in the Official Guide of the Railways as having modern steel equipment, comprising Smoking, Chair, Dining, and Observation cars.
Date: 1900~
Partner: Museum of the American Railroad