Rescuing Texas History, 2007 - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Aerial View of Orange, Texas]

Description: Aerial photograph of Orange, Texas. Many of the buildings in the photograph are now gone. Mrs. Lutcher Stark of Orange bought most of the downtown properties and built a performing arts theater and museum. The buildings that did survive are mostly occupied by Lamar University, Orange extension. The Sabine River is on the lower left.
Date: 1950
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Heritage House Museum

Bridge Between Port Arthur and Orange, Texas

Description: Photographic postcard of the cantilever bridge crossing the Neches River in Southeast Texas. It connects Port Arthur with Bridge City in Orange County. It is the highest bridge in Texas and is now known as the Rainbow Bridge. The card was mailed Dec 10, 1950 from Orange, Texas.
Date: 1950~
Item Type: Postcard
Partner: Heritage House Museum

[Classroom at Tilley School]

Description: Photograph of two students in a classroom at the Tilley School in Orange, Texas. They are pointing to a poster of book covers of American biographies. Looking on are Principal Myrtle Richardson ans teacher Mary Lynn Weir.
Date: 1950
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Heritage House Museum

[Entrance ot DuPont Sabine River Works - Orange, Texas

Description: Photographic postcard picturing the entrance to the DuPont Sabine River Works, a power and chemical plant in Orange, Texas. Outside the entrance is a tall flag pole and a landscaped parking area full of automobiles.
Date: 1950~
Item Type: Postcard
Partner: Heritage House Museum

[First Presbyterian Church]

Description: Photograph of the First Presbyterian Church in Orange, Texas. This building is also know as the Lutcher Memorial Building because it was was planned, built and underwritten by Mrs. Henry Jacob (Frances Ann) Lutcher as a memorial to the Henry Jacob Lutcher Family. It is an example of classic Greek Revival architecture, completed in 1912. It was one of the earliest air-conditioned buildings in the United States. The church has a large copper dome, large granite Corinthian columns on the front, and exquisite stained-glass windows.
Date: 1950
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Heritage House Museum

[Frances Ann Lutcher Hospital]

Description: Photograph of the south side of the Frances Ann Lutcher Hospital in 1950. It is a four-story brick building seen from Second Street.
Date: 1950
Creator: Clough's
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Heritage House Museum

[Goldfine's Store]

Description: Photograph of the interior of Goldfine's Department Store. The shoe department is to the left and men's clothing is to the right.
Date: 1950~
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Heritage House Museum

[Holland Hotel]

Description: Photograph of several cars in front of the Holland Hotel. Texas Optical and a jewelry store are near the hotel.
Date: 1950~
Creator: Gunn's Studio
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Heritage House Museum

[IOOF Hall in Orange, Texas]

Description: Photograph of the IOOF Hall the corner of Main and Fourth Streets. Beneath the club is a Toyland store. Automobiles are parked on the curbs.
Date: 1950~
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Heritage House Museum

[National Guard Armory]

Description: Photograph of the entrance to the National Guard Armory at Fourteenth and Cypress Streets. It was used as the USO headquarters during World War II. A flag pole stands in the courtyard area.
Date: 1950
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Heritage House Museum

Orange Leader Editor Cullen Browning in a small office

Description: Cullen Browning, editor of the The Orange Leader sits in a small make-shift office at 503-505 Front Ave. Another worker named Ken Freuden can be seen in the back of the room. This was around 1950, when the original office was undergoing renovation.
Date: 1950~
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Heritage House Museum

[Parade in 1950s]

Description: Photograph of a parade in Orange, Texas. Men in western wear are riding horses past a white two-story building.
Date: 1950~
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Heritage House Museum

[Remodeling Job at 503 Front Street]

Description: Photograph of a remodeling job at 503 Front Street in 1950. A man is standing on a desk, lifting a board, while a woman types at a desk next to him. They both wear hardhats. The man wears a nail bag with '"Harding & Lawler Building Materials" written on it.
Date: 1950
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Heritage House Museum

[Sabine River Authority Offices Drawing]

Description: Photograph of an architectural drawing of the Sabine River Authority Office Building, Canal Division, in Orange, Texas. The drawing is by Dimitri Demopulos. The building was designed by Golemon & Rolfe A.I.A. Architects and Engineers.
Date: 1950/1959
Creator: Golemon and Rolfe A.I.A. Architects and Engineers
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Heritage House Museum

[St. Mary's Catholic Church]

Description: Photograph of St. Mary's Catholic Church in Orange, Texas. It is located at Orange Avenue and Eighth Street. The church entrance includes a bell tower with a steeple on top.
Date: 1950~
Creator: Lawless and Son
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Heritage House Museum

[Street scene]

Description: Photograph of street scene in Orange. The view is from 5th Street looking south from Green St.
Date: 1950/1959
Creator: Richard Poland
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Heritage House Museum

[Tilley School in Riverside]

Description: Photograph of the Tilley School in Riverside. Later this building became part of Lamar University. There is a swing set in the school yard and some bicycles parked near the side doorway.
Date: 1950
Creator: Clough's
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Heritage House Museum

[E.W. Brown Home after the Fire]

Description: Photograph of the E.W. Brown III home after the fire in the early 1950s. It was on the corner of Elm and Ninth Street. It had been the Levingston residence earlier.
Date: 1950~
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Heritage House Museum

[Warehouse under Construction]

Description: Photograph of a warehouse under construction. The concrete floors are still wet and the wooden structure of the building can be seen.
Date: 1950
Creator: Pridgen's Studio
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Heritage House Museum

The Whangdoodle Cafe]

Description: Photograph of a woman standing outside of the Wangdoodle Cafe. There is a neon sign above the door.
Date: 1950~
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Heritage House Museum

[Orange Tigers "B" Squad, 1951]

Description: Photograph of the Orange Tigers Football "B" Squad. They are in front of a building with "Orange High School Tigers" written on it.
Date: 1951
Creator: Flickinger, B.D.
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Heritage House Museum

[Stark Hi Twirlers]

Description: Photograph of seven girls who are members of the "Stark Hi Twirlers" They wear uniforms and boots and carry batons. They are posed as if marching across a field.
Date: 1951
Creator: Flickinger, B.D.
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Heritage House Museum