Rescuing Texas History, 2007 - 1,800 Matching Results

Search Results

[Adult Choir]

Description: Photograph of the First Christian Church Adult Choir. Back row - left to right: A.E. Catanach, not know, not known, Peg Catanach, Curtis Lacy, not known, Ralph Breelove, not known, not known, McIntosh, Austine Mills. Front row - left to right: Mathilda Steed, not known, Mildred Allgood, Gladys Lacy, Lolly Prafka, Alma Rigsby, Allene Breedlove, not known, Peggy McIntosh, Willie Mae West.
Date: 1950
Creator: Pridgen's Studio
Partner: First Christian Church of Port Arthur

[Aerial View of Orange, Texas]

Description: Aerial photograph of Orange, Texas. Many of the buildings in the photograph are now gone. Mrs. Lutcher Stark of Orange bought most of the downtown properties and built a performing arts theater and museum. The buildings that did survive are mostly occupied by Lamar University, Orange extension. The Sabine River is on the lower left.
Date: 1950
Partner: Heritage House Museum

[Anderson Campground - Brushy Creek Arbor]

Description: This is a photo of the Anderson County Campground. There is a Texas Historical Commission Marker at the site, which was dedicated on September 6, 1981. That same day a National Register of Historic Places designation was also given to the site. Commonly called the Brushy Creek Arbor, Anderson Campground has a long and well known history. During the 1850's, the nearby area was settled with families, most of whom had come from a place called Brushy Creek, which was in Anderson County, South Carolina. By the 1870's a religious campground was constructed, with water provided from a nearby Artesian spring. Families came and stayed for days, bringing their own food, bedding, and supplies. Sermons were preached several times a day. Religious camp meetings were popular in the late 1800's and early 1900's, although there are few visible signs remaining. This arbor is one of the few that has survived intact for over 130 years. Both the church associated with it, Brushy Creek United Methodist, and the arbor itself have changed very little. The total area covers 5.6 acres. Although the last camp meetings were held in the 1930's, the arbor continued to be used for weeklong summer revivals into the 1950's. On the first Sunday of each September, a large homecoming of descendants of the early Brushy Creek families is held at the arbor. A program, business meeting, and meal are part of the agenda, plus a guest speaker and recognition of families. the annual homecoming is a popular, well-attended event. Many descendants still live in the county.
Date: 1950~
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Anderson County Courthouse]

Description: Photograph of the southwest corner of the Anderson County Courthouse, located at 500 N. Church in Palestine, Texas. The three-story building has Classical Revival-style elements including Ionic columns across the front. There is a dome topped with a statue of Lady Justice in the center of the roof and there are awnings on all of the windows.
Date: 1950~
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Anderson County Courthouse]

Description: Photograph of the west side of the Anderson County Courthouse, located at 500 N. Church in Palestine, Texas. The three-story building has Classical Revival-style elements including Ionic columns across the front. There is a dome topped with a statue of Lady Justice in the center of the roof and there are awnings on all of the windows.
Date: 1950~
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library