Rescuing Texas History, 2007 - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

Exterior of Tarrytown Methodist Church

Description: Photograph of Tarrytown Methodist Church. This is the back side taken from Greenlee Drive.
Date: July 26, 1950
Creator: Douglass, Neal
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Cartoonist Buz Sawyer

Description: Photograph of a cartoonist standing at a drafting desk. He is sketching a football player on a large piece of paper and there are several photographs of football players on the desk next to the tablet.
Date: November 4, 1950
Creator: Douglass, Neal
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Man with dogs at Georgetown

Description: Photograph of an unidentified man sitting on a porch with three dogs and holding two puppies.
Date: May 1, 1950
Creator: Douglass, Neal
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Arturo Toscanini NBC Symphony

Description: Photograph of a man in a suit; he's holding a piece of paper in one hand and has his other hand on a trunk lid that is covered in writing and stickers. Behind him, musicians seem to be tuning various instruments. They appear to be in a gymnasium; a basketball hoop is visible on the wall to the left.
Date: April 29, 1950
Creator: Douglass, Neal
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Woman in office

Description: Photograph of a woman standing at an open filing cabinet.
Date: September 14, 1950
Creator: Douglass, Neal
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Eubank & Park Drugs]

Description: Photograph of the Eubank & Park Drug store in Childress, Texas. The drug store is sandwiched between two other businesses. There is a large sign in front of the drug store and above the entrance of the drug store.
Date: unknown
Partner: Childress County Heritage Museum

[Childress City Hall and Fire Station, Early 1900's]

Description: Photograph of the Childress fire station next to City Hall. There are two men standing in the open doorway of the garage. The building is unmarked except for a sign that says "City Secretary, City Tax Collector, Water Department" which is to the right of the men standing in the garage.
Date: unknown
Partner: Childress County Heritage Museum

[The Best Courts in Childress, Texas]

Description: Photograph of Best Courts in Childress, Texas. The tourist court is located on the corner of an intersection and stands next to residential homes. The tourist court is labeled with several signs.
Date: unknown
Partner: Childress County Heritage Museum

McFarland Battery & Electric

Description: Photograph of five unidentified men inside McFarland Battery & Electric which was owned by A. V. McFarland, the original director of the Childress County Heritage Museum. The men are standing in a garage area and there is an early-model car behind them. A sign on the wall on the left side of the image says "We are not responsible for loss by fire or theft."
Date: unknown
Partner: Childress County Heritage Museum

[Furr Home in Kirkland]

Description: Photograph of the Furr residence in Kirkland, Texas. It is a two story house with a front and back porch. A picket fence surrounds the home.
Date: unknown
Partner: Childress County Heritage Museum

Ribbon Cutting of the First Childress County Heritage Museum

Description: Janet Norris (Mrs. E. E. Smith) cuts a red ribbon as Mayor Glen Buckley and County Judge Harper Knight hold the ribbon taut for her at the ribbon cutting and opening of the Childress County Heritage Museum in 1976. The ribbon cutting and opening of the CCHM happened in conjunction with the county's bi-centennial celebration. The museum's new home was in a refurbished jail on the courthouse square.
Date: unknown
Partner: Childress County Heritage Museum

Judge A. J. Fires

Description: Framed portrait of Judge A. J. Fires looking towards the camera in a dark suit with white collared shirt and a polka-dot bow tie. His right hand is sitting on an open book and holding his eye glasses. Fires arrived in Childress in a snow storm on November 10, 1886, and was active in the organization of the county seat. He was elected county judge and later district judge. The flag at the Childress post office was lowered to half staff at the time of his death at age 81.
Date: unknown
Partner: Childress County Heritage Museum

["Boneheads" Working in the Community]

Description: Photograph of an explorer scout troop, known as the "Bonehead Boys", putting up signs in an open field. The men and boys are standing around a newly put up sign labeled "Childress & Baylor Lakes".
Date: 1958
Partner: Childress County Heritage Museum

[Childress Green House 1950's]

Description: Photograph of a greenhouse in Childress, Texas. There are several trees and plants surrounding the greenhouse and there is a bench in the foreground.
Date: unknown
Partner: Childress County Heritage Museum

[Childress High School Boys Football Team 1930]

Description: Photograph of Childress High School Boys Football Team in 1930. The members are posing in three rows, the back two rows are standing and the front row is sitting. Two men in suits are standing on the right hand side of the photograph. The football players are wearing their team sweaters which displays a large "C". They are standing in front of an unidentifiable brick building.
Date: 1930
Partner: Childress County Heritage Museum

The Childress Index

Description: Photograph of a window display at The Childress Index taken at night. There is a poster on a Samson card table which reads: "Win! A genuine Samson regular $4.00 card table in our canned foods guessing contest. Ask for details!" On either side of the table are stacked IGA products including apricots, cranberry sauce, salad dressing, fruit cocktail, and tomato juice. There are two unidentified men sitting inside of the store in the center of the frame.
Date: unknown
Creator: Stanford Studio
Partner: Childress County Heritage Museum

["Bonehead" Troop Gathers for Cato's Funeral]

Description: Photograph of the "Bonehead Boys" at the funeral of their deceased scout master, Edwin "KOW" Cato. The men are posing in four rows, the front two are kneeling and the back two rows are standing. There is a bus behind them with their troop name "Bonehead Boys" painted across the roof, right above the windows.
Date: 1960
Partner: Childress County Heritage Museum

[Former Childress County Agent Chile Smith and 4-H Member Larry Murphy]

Description: Photograph of former Childress County Agent, Chile Smith, and 4-H member, Larry Murphy. The two men are shaking hands as Chile Smith hands a certificate to Larry Murphy. The certificate is facing the camera. They are inside an office and are both wearing cowboy hats.
Date: 1959
Partner: Childress County Heritage Museum

[Childress Lions Club]

Description: Photograph of the members of the Childress Lions Club. All of the members are adult men. They are posing in three rows, the two back rows are standing and the front row is sitting cross legged. There is an unidentifiable building in the background.
Date: unknown
Partner: Childress County Heritage Museum

[A. L. Mills with Buffaloes in Childress Fair Park 1960's]

Description: Photograph of a man, A. L. Mills, looking at a mother buffalo and her calf through a wire fence. The man is wearing a coat and has his hands in his pockets. Both the buffaloes and the man are faced towards each other. There are leafless tress in the background.
Date: unknown
Partner: Childress County Heritage Museum