Rescuing Texas History, 2007 - 53 Matching Results

Search Results

[George W. Michaels]

Description: Photograph of George W. Michaels around 1880.
Date: 1880~
Partner: Heritage House Museum

First Catholic Church built in 1880

Description: First Catholic church built in 1880 at Pine and Sixth Streets. This church was formerly known as St. Vitalis
Date: 1880~
Partner: Heritage House Museum

[Steamboat Pearl Plant]

Description: Photograph of steamboat "Pearl Plant" near Front at Third Street. There are many people on the decks on the boat. The steamboat has two large smoke stacks. There is a man smoking a pipe on the bottom left of the photograph.
Date: 1880~/1889~
Partner: Heritage House Museum

[Unidentified Man]

Description: Photo of an unidentified man.
Date: 1880~
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[Amende School]

Description: Amende School was a private girls school which was located in Palestine before the advent of free public schools.
Date: 1880~
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[Palestine Building - Corner of Spring and N. Sycamore]

Description: Photo of the building at the corner of Spring and N. Sycamore streets. This building was occupied by Durr's Book Store, Kolstad's Jewelry Store and A.W. Gregg's Law Office was in the front of the second floor. You can see the steeple of the St. Phillips church in the background. This church has since been moved to the opposite side of the street. At the rear end, north, was the Post Office. The Watson Hotel was across the street on the corner of N. Sycamore. The Episcopal church then stood where Bratton Drug Store was later located. The man on the horse is Dr. H.H. Link, the father of Drs. E.W. and H.R. Link. Standing alongside is Mr. Ben Broyles, George Broyles father. West on Spring Street were Barnes's Tin Shop, owned by Dr. George Barnes's father; Mr. John Hearne's Drug Store; at least two saloons, one owned by Joe Ampson and one by Sam Stein and in one of the saloons was a billiard hall. Mr. Stein was Mrs. J.W. Henry's father.
Date: 1880~
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[Palestine Fire Department]

Description: Photo of the men of the Palestine Fire Department, posing outside of firehouse #1, home of the Hope Hook and Ladder Company.
Date: 1880~
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[Palestine Fire Department]

Description: Photo of the men of the Palestine Fire Department, posing outside of firehouse #1, home of the Hope Hook and Ladder Company. They were apparently getting ready to be in some sort of parade as there is a float in the background.
Date: 1880~
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[Stern Wheeler H.A. Harvey Jr.]

Description: Photo of the Stern Wheeler H.A. Harvey Jr. This boat set a speed record of four days for completing the trip from Magnolia in southern Anderson County to Galveston, while fully loaded with cotton and other freight. In the picture, the steamboat is shown tied up at the Commerce Street landing in Dallas. After plying the Trinity River for several years, it was sold and sailed to Louisiana in 1898 when Trinity River navigation died out.
Date: 1880~
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[George Wright Home - 900 Block S. Sycamore]

Description: Photo of the George Wright home, which was located in the 900 block of S. Sycamore. It was demolished when the Memorial Hospital was built.
Date: 1880~
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Gideon Gooch, J.P. Allen, N.W. Hunter and an Unidentified Man]

Description: The man sitting left was Mr. N.W. Hunter, the son of the pioneer, Dr. James Hunter, who came to Texas in 1838 and lived in Ft. Houston. Mr. N.W. Hunter was the father of Miss Kate Hunter, Mrs. J.L. Carson, and Miss Pauline Hunter. He was also the great grandfather of Malcolm Hunter. Mr. Gideon Gooch stands on the left and Mr. J.P. Allen stands on the right. The man sitting on the right is unidentified.
Date: 1880~
Creator: Rose, Philip H.
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[Three Members of the Dilley Rifles Company]

Description: Photograph of three members of the Dilley Rifles, Palestine. Back of photo identifies them as Warner Williams, Capt; George R. Howard, 1st Lt; and George McClintock, 2nd Lt.
Date: 1880~
Creator: Bailey & Terry
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[Unidentified Church]

Description: Photo of an undentified church in Palestine.
Date: 1880~
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Engraving of the International Hotel - Palestine]

Description: Engraving of the International Hotel, which was once located at 313 Spring Street, Palestine. In 1873, following the coming of the railroad to town, the Laclede Hotel was built on this site, but was destroyed by fire in 1876. The following year, a Dr. Manning of Oakwood erected a brick building known as the International Hotel on that location. It was purchased in 1882 by Col. George Burkitt who turned over operations to Mrs. Emma Nolen. During her tenure, the property was known as the Nolen Hotel, but when she moved to St. Louis, Col. Burkitt himself took over the management. That building was razed in 1922 and the "new" O'Neill Hotel was built here. After many years of use, the hotel was sold a number of times. Despite halfhearted attempts to restore it, the condition of the building went downhill. It was demolished in August 1983 and the property is remains vacant today.
Date: 1880~
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Photo - Drawing of Heards Hotel]

Description: Adjusted photograph of a drawing of Heards Hotel, which was later called the Stern Hotel, Palestine.
Date: 1880~
Creator: Osjetea Briggs
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Palestine Fire Department]

Description: Photo of the men of the Palestine Fire Department, posing outside of firehouse #1, home of the Hope Hook and Ladder Company.
Date: 1880~
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Palestine Fire Department]

Description: Photo of the men of the Palestine Fire Department, posing outside of firehouse #1, home of the Hope Hook and Ladder Company.
Date: 1880~
Partner: Palestine Public Library