Rescuing Texas History, 2007 - 36 Matching Results

Search Results

[Gentle Ambulance]

Description: Man, woman and child in front seat of an ambulance with two nurses and the "patient" in back. Probably a 1928 Cadillac limousine.
Date: 1930~
Partner: Sanger Public Library

[407 E. Kolstad - Mallard Alexander House]

Description: Photograph of the Mallard Alexander House located at 407 E. Kolstad in Palestine, Texas. The house is a light-colored, one-story building with a front porch in the center of the building. In the foreground, the front lawn contains a number of large trees.
Date: 1930~
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Sanger School class picture 1930, Third Grade]

Description: Mrs. Winnie Minick's third grade class of 1930 Front row: James Giles, Douglas Tippen, Don Hampton, Wayne Dickens, Troy Strickland Second row: Cynthia Crowson, unknown, Catherine Flowers, unknown, unknown, ___? Sims, Rebecca Batis, Alta F. Williams, Idaleene Scheu, unknown, Ouida F. Holt Third row: unknown, Woody Marion, unknown, ___? Marion, Franklin Landers, Winnie Minick, unknown, unknown, Walter Lee Jones Back row: Frank Lee Terrell, LeRoy Brown, unknown, unknown, ___? Belcher, unknown, Ralph Brewer, Billy Gentle, Dick Ready, Harold Sims
Date: 1930~
Partner: Sanger Public Library

[St. Phillips Episcopal Church - 106 E. Crawford]

Description: Copy negative of the front of the St. Phillips Episcopal Church, located at 106 E. Crawford in Palestine, Texas, taken from W Crawford Street. It is a brick building that has windows with pointed arches. There is a taller, square tower on the northwest corner of the building. Other buildings are partially visible on the right side of the building and automobiles are parked along the streets. Text at the bottom of the photo says "Episcopal Church, Palestine, Tex."
Date: 1930~
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Avenue A - Palestine]

Description: Photo of Aveune A from what appears to be the top of courthouse looking west.
Date: 1930~
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Palestine Airport]

Description: Photo of the hangers at the Palestine Airport.
Date: 1930~
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[McKnight Plaza - Palestine]

Description: Photo of McKnight Plaza taken during the 1930s. This business district was the primary area for businesses owned and operated by African-Americans in Palestine, and was located in the 100 block of Avenue A, on the south side of the street next to what is now United Realty (the former First National Bank Building). The building was demolished in 1945.
Date: 1930~
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Hotel O'Neill - 313 Spring Street]

Description: Copy negative of storefronts on Spring Street in Palestine, Texas. There are two connected brick buildings, two stories on the left and four stories on the right; they have some brick embellishments around the windows. The first building appears to have two storefronts that have a sidewalk cover across the front and a barber's pole on the left corner as well as the words "Bus Station" on one window. To the right, a store labeled "O'Neill Drug Store" is in the larger building, and a roof with a second-story balcony is visible on the far right, over another entrance. There are cars parked along the street and several people visible outside the buildings.
Date: 1930~
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[1101 N. Perry - Howard House]

Description: The Howard House was the former home of Colonel George Howard and his wife, Cornelia Cox Howard. Built in 1851 the house is located on land deeded August 17, 1850 to Colonel Howard from Judge Reuben Reeves and his wife, Sarah. Colonel Howard and Mrs. Howard came to Palestine from Tennessee in 1849. Given the title of Colonel when he organized a company of men during the Civil War, he later served in the Texas Legislature, held several county offices and was Mayor of Palestine from 1886-1887. Colonel Howard was an active merchant in Palestine and in 1855 his store was located on the east side of the courthouse square. The Howard House of Greek revival influence is one of the best preserved examples of the ante bellum homes in the city. A walk of handmade brick leads to the house with its pillared portico and a center hall runs through the house with rooms on either side. There are a number of furnishings and other interesting items which are original to the house including a beautifully carved piano. The home remained in the possession of descendants of the Howard family until it was purchased by the City of Palestine on November 23, 1964 for a museum. Since that time it has been repaired and is being furnished by various organizations for meetings.
Date: 1930~
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Rusk School Students - Palestine]

Description: Photo of unidentified second and third grade students that attended Rusk School, located in Palestine, Texas.
Date: 1930~
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[Unidentified Business]

Description: Photo of an unidentified business.
Date: 1930~
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[Schwitter's Grocery - 409 Avenue A]

Description: Frank and Rosa Schwitter's Grocery store in 1930. They stand in the center of this photo with Mrs. Artie Pagett to the right. To the left is Lillie Sullivan (Her husband was a clerk here), Herman Brumbly, and Vernon Wyett. One of the African Americans in the back is Clarence "Slick" Muse. It is unknown who the other man is. All of these people, with the exception of Lillie Sullivan, were employed here.
Date: 1930~
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[An Explosion on Main Street - Palestine]

Description: Photo of the results of an explosion that occured in a business located on Main street in downtown Palestine.
Date: 1930~
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[1003 N. Link - H.H. Link House]

Description: Close-up photograph of the front walk leading to the entrance of the "H.H. Link House" located at 1003 N. Link in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story, white house with both Queen Anne and Classical Revival-style architectures, including two-story Ionic columns across the front.
Date: 1930~
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[1003 N. Link - H.H. Link House]

Description: Photograph of the front of the "H.H. Link House" located at 1003 N. Link in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story, white house with both Queen Anne and Classical Revival-style architectures, including two-story Ionic columns across the front.
Date: 1930~
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

Robert Turpin

Description: Robert Turpin wearing a suit in an unknown room.
Date: 1930~
Partner: Heritage House Museum