Rescuing Texas History, 2007 - 61 Matching Results

Search Results

[I&GN Hospital - 919 S. Magnolia]

Description: Photograph of part of the front of the International & Great Northern (I&GN) Railroad Hospital located at 919 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It is a three-story, metal-framed, brick-faced hospital along with an outbuilding (the Nurses' Home). The building has a box-like massing with some Classical Revival detailing, especially around the primary entrance. The wide, cast stone bands divide the exterior into three components and emphasize the horizontal massing of the building.
Date: 1991
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Interior of the Dome of the Anderson County Courthouse]

Description: Close-up photograph of the stained glass design on the inside of the dome in the Anderson County Courthouse, located at 500 N. Church in Palestine, Texas. Most of the design has plain rectangles in varying shades of brown, there is a six-pointed star in the center, surrounded by other decorative accents.
Date: 1991
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Anderson County Courthouse]

Description: Photograph of the south side of the Anderson County Courthouse, located at 500 N. Church in Palestine, Texas, taken from the corner of N. Perry and E. Crawford streets. The three-story building has Classical Revival-style elements including Ionic columns across the front. There is a dome topped with a statue of Lady Justice in the center of the roof.
Date: 1991
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Mule Barn - Crawford Street - Palestine]

Description: Photograph of the front and east side of the "Mule Barn" located at 310 E. Crawford Street in Palestine, Texas. It is a one-story building with a taller storefront and a porch roof across the front. The sign at the top of the building says "Shelton's Feed" and there are other signs that say "dog food," "feed-fertilizer," and "Lone Star."
Date: 1991
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Mule Barn - Crawford Street - Palestine]

Description: Photograph of the front and west side of the "Mule Barn" located at 310 E. Crawford Street in Palestine, Texas. It is a one-story building with a taller storefront and a porch roof across the front. The sign at the top of the building says "Shelton's Feed" and there are other signs that say "dog food," "feed-fertilizer," and "Lone Star."
Date: 1991
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Palestine Public Library - 1101 N. Cedar]

Description: Photograph of the front and south side of the Palestine Public Library (previously the Alamo School), a two-story, light-colored brick building located at 1101 N. Cedar in Palestine, Texas. There are brick accents around the windows and some other points. A book drop is outside the entrance and several cars are parked in the parking lot; part of a second building is partially visible on the left.
Date: 1991
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Gregg/Link Building - 101 W. Spring]

Description: Photograph of the east side of "The Gregg-Link Building" located at 101 E. Spring in Palestine, Texas, taken at the intersection of E. Spring and N. Sycamore streets. It is a three-story building with Romanesque Revival-style architectural detailing.
Date: November 1991
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Hinzie Building - 111 W. Spring Street]

Description: Photograph of the front of "The Hinzie Building" located at 111 W. Spring in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story, white, brick building with Victorian Italianate-style embellishments, including segmented-arched hoodmolds, quoins along the side of the front, and an elaborately detailed parapet.
Date: November 1991
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Courthouse Square - Palestine]

Description: Photograph of a series of connected commercial businesses on the west side of N. Church Street in Palestine, Texas, across the street from the Anderson County Courthouse. Storefronts for five buildings are visible; each of the buildings are single stories and have various sidewalk covers and roofs. The buildings all seem to be stone or brick, and several of the buildings have detailed brick- or stonework around the rooflines and edges. Cars are parked on the street outside the stores.
Date: November 1991
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Federal Building - 101 E. Oak]

Description: Close-up photograph of the front entrance and part of the south facade of the "Federal Building," located at 101 E. Oak in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story brick building with Renaissance Revival-style details.
Date: November 1991
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Reagan School - 400 S. Michaux]

Description: Photograph of the front of the Reagan School located at 400 S. Michaux in Palestine, Texas. The three-story brick building has Tudor Revival-style architectural features and served as a school for various grades between 1916 and 1976, later becoming a museum.
Date: November 1991
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Gregg/Link Building - 101 W. Spring]

Description: Photograph of the south side of "The Gregg-Link Building" (far left) located at 101 E. Spring in Palestine, Texas. It is a three-story building with Romanesque Revival-style architectural detailing. Other buildings are visible, looking east down Spring Street.
Date: November 1991
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Courthouse Square - Palestine]

Description: Photograph of several commercial buildings on the west side of N. Church Street in Palestine, Texas, across the street from the Anderson County Courthouse. There are four connected buildings; the first three on the left are single-story buildings of brick and/or stucco. The one on the far left has columns built into the front and a decorative triangular section above; the second is plain with a sidewalk cover and the third is plain with a cloth awning. On the far right, the fourth building is two stories with decorative brickwork and a roof over the sidewalk. Some signs are visible including an "Anderson County Abstract Company" sign on the third building and cars are parked on both sides of the street.
Date: November 1991
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Anderson County Courthouse]

Description: Photograph of the west side of the Anderson County Courthouse, located at 500 N. Church in Palestine, Texas, taken at night. The three-story building has Classical Revival-style elements including Ionic columns across the front. There is a dome topped with a statue of Lady Justice in the center of the roof.
Date: 1991~
Location Info:
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[Anderson County Courthouse]

Description: Photograph of the west side of the Anderson County Courthouse, located at 500 N. Church in Palestine, Texas, taken at night. The three-story building has Classical Revival-style elements including Ionic columns across the front. There is a dome topped with a statue of Lady Justice in the center of the roof.
Date: 1991~
Location Info:
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[Historical Marker: Palestine High School]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Palestine High School in Palestine, Texas. Text: A public school system in Palestine was established in 1881 under control of the municipal government, the first classes were held at the old Palestine Female Institute (built in 1858), then a high school was built in 1888 at the institute site on Avenue A. In 1915 voters passed a $100,000 bond issue for a new high school. The city council chose this site in newly created, 22-acre Reagan Park for the campus. Fort Worth architects Sanguinet & Staats were chosen for the design, which features Tudor Gothic -- or Jacobethan -- detail in brick, limestone, and occasional tile panels. The 2-story structure, on a raised basement, is framed with reinforced concrete, allowing ample window space for air and light. The original plan included eight lecture rooms, a library, a gymnasium, laboratories, and an auditorium. A principal and 10 teachers comprised the first faculty, and the first graduating class in 1917 contained 38 students. This building became a junior high in 1939, and was named in 1955 for John Henninger Reagan (1818-1905), Texas statesman and Palestine resident. Elementary grades were assigned here from 1966 to 1976, when the school was closed. The building was then preserved and rehabilitated as a museum and cultural center.
Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Reagan School - 400 S. Michaux]

Description: Photograph of the front of the Reagan School located at 400 S. Michaux in Palestine, Texas. The three-story brick building has Tudor Revival-style architectural features and served as a school for various grades between 1916 and 1976, later becoming a museum.
Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Dilley Foundry Office Bldg - 601 S. May]

Description: Photograph of the south side of the Dilley Foundry Office Building, located at 601 S. May in Palestine, Texas. It is a one-story frame building, resembling a center-passage house There is a porch running the length of the south side of the house that has decorative jigsawn woodwork.
Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[814 S. Sycamore - Campbell - Pennybacker House]

Description: Photograph of the front of the "Pennybacker Campbell House," a 2 ½-story, white, frame, Queen Anne-style house located at 814 S. Sycamore in Palestine, Texas.
Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Pennybacker-Campbell-Wommack House]

Description: Close-up photograph of the historic marker for the Pennybacker-Campbell-Wommack House located at 814 S. Sycamore in Palestine, Texas. Text: "Silk Stocking Row" Victorian residence built in 1890. Noted as family home of Mrs. Percy V. Pennybacker (1861-1938), teacher, author of widely-used school History of Texas, first Texan president General Federation Women's Clubs. Purchased 1900 by Thomas M. Campbell (1856-1923), famous lawyer, banker, governor of Texas in 1907-1911. Enlarged by Gov. Campbell, house is now property of great-grandson, Drew Wommack, Jr. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1969.
Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[404 S. Royall]

Description: Photograph of the front of a two-story, white house located at 404 S. Royall in Palestine, Texas.
Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[1004 S. Magnolia]

Description: Photograph of the front and south side of a two-story house located at 1004 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It is painted white with green trim and has decorative shingling between the floors.
Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Cottage on S. Magnolia Street]

Description: Photograph of the front of a white, one-story, L-shaped cottage located at 922 S. Magnolia Street in Palestine, Texas. It has a wrap-around front porch and decorative woodwork around the eaves of a dormer window.
Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[House on the corner of Fowler and Kolstad Streets]

Description: Close-up photograph of the front of a house located at 115 E. Kolstad in Palestine, Texas. It has architectural elements representative of a modified L-plan house including a steeply pitched hipped roof with gabled extensions, however the exterior was remodeled with Tudor Revival-style architectural elements including brick veneer, faux half-timbering, and an entrance bay with round-arched openings and stucco and brick exterior finish.
Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library