Rescuing Texas History, 2007 - 84 Matching Results

Search Results

[George W. Michaels]

Description: Photograph of George W. Michaels around 1880.
Date: 1880~
Partner: Heritage House Museum

First Catholic Church built in 1880

Description: First Catholic church built in 1880 at Pine and Sixth Streets. This church was formerly known as St. Vitalis
Date: 1880~
Partner: Heritage House Museum

[Steamboat Pearl Plant]

Description: Photograph of steamboat "Pearl Plant" near Front at Third Street. There are many people on the decks on the boat. The steamboat has two large smoke stacks. There is a man smoking a pipe on the bottom left of the photograph.
Date: 1880~/1889~
Partner: Heritage House Museum

[Third Anderson County Courthouse]

Description: Copy negative of the third Anderson County Courthouse in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story brick building with stone accents and a taller tower on one corner. It is viewed from the other side of a dirt road.
Date: 1885~
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Third Anderson County Courthouse]

Description: Photograph of the third Anderson County Courthouse in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story brick building with stone accents and a taller tower on one corner.
Date: [1885..1916]
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[Unidentified Man]

Description: Photo of an unidentified man.
Date: 1880~
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[Amende School]

Description: Amende School was a private girls school which was located in Palestine before the advent of free public schools.
Date: 1880~
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[Palestine Brass Band]

Description: Photo of a brass band that was based in Palestine in the mid 1880's. Left to right: - Dillar P.A. Kolstad Prof Armenda John Hunter Lee Wallace P. Burkett Ezell A.O. Lovely Michen Micheaux J.B. McKnight James Swinney - Olsen
Date: 1885~
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[Palestine Building - Corner of Spring and N. Sycamore]

Description: Photo of the building at the corner of Spring and N. Sycamore streets. This building was occupied by Durr's Book Store, Kolstad's Jewelry Store and A.W. Gregg's Law Office was in the front of the second floor. You can see the steeple of the St. Phillips church in the background. This church has since been moved to the opposite side of the street. At the rear end, north, was the Post Office. The Watson Hotel was across the street on the corner of N. Sycamore. The Episcopal church then stood where Bratton Drug Store was later located. The man on the horse is Dr. H.H. Link, the father of Drs. E.W. and H.R. Link. Standing alongside is Mr. Ben Broyles, George Broyles father. West on Spring Street were Barnes's Tin Shop, owned by Dr. George Barnes's father; Mr. John Hearne's Drug Store; at least two saloons, one owned by Joe Ampson and one by Sam Stein and in one of the saloons was a billiard hall. Mr. Stein was Mrs. J.W. Henry's father.
Date: 1880~
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[Palestine Fire Department]

Description: Photo of the men of the Palestine Fire Department, posing outside of firehouse #1, home of the Hope Hook and Ladder Company.
Date: 1880~
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[Palestine Fire Department]

Description: Photo of the men of the Palestine Fire Department, posing outside of firehouse #1, home of the Hope Hook and Ladder Company. They were apparently getting ready to be in some sort of parade as there is a float in the background.
Date: 1880~
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[Stern Wheeler H.A. Harvey Jr.]

Description: Photo of the Stern Wheeler H.A. Harvey Jr. This boat set a speed record of four days for completing the trip from Magnolia in southern Anderson County to Galveston, while fully loaded with cotton and other freight. In the picture, the steamboat is shown tied up at the Commerce Street landing in Dallas. After plying the Trinity River for several years, it was sold and sailed to Louisiana in 1898 when Trinity River navigation died out.
Date: 1880~
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[1885 Fire Wagon]

Description: Photograph and description of Orange's volunteer firemen standing by a fire wagon in 1885. This is the oldest known picture of an Orange scene.
Date: 1885
Partner: Heritage House Museum

[George Wright Home - 900 Block S. Sycamore]

Description: Photo of the George Wright home, which was located in the 900 block of S. Sycamore. It was demolished when the Memorial Hospital was built.
Date: 1880~
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Gideon Gooch, J.P. Allen, N.W. Hunter and an Unidentified Man]

Description: The man sitting left was Mr. N.W. Hunter, the son of the pioneer, Dr. James Hunter, who came to Texas in 1838 and lived in Ft. Houston. Mr. N.W. Hunter was the father of Miss Kate Hunter, Mrs. J.L. Carson, and Miss Pauline Hunter. He was also the great grandfather of Malcolm Hunter. Mr. Gideon Gooch stands on the left and Mr. J.P. Allen stands on the right. The man sitting on the right is unidentified.
Date: 1880~
Creator: Rose, Philip H.
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[Caroline McGuire and Caroline McGuire Street]

Description: Caroline McGuire Street, born Jan 2, 1880, and her Aunt Caroline McGuire, who raised young Caroline after her mother died when she was 18 mos. old.
Date: 1881~
Partner: Private Collection of Caroline R. Scrivner Richards

[Caroline McGuire Street]

Description: Caroline McGuire Street, born Jan 2, 1880.
Date: 1882~
Partner: Private Collection of Caroline R. Scrivner Richards

[Caroline McGuire Street]

Description: Caroline McGuire Street, born Jan 2, 1880.
Date: 1884~
Partner: Private Collection of Caroline R. Scrivner Richards

[Caroline McGuire Street]

Description: Caroline McGuire Street, born Jan 2, 1880.
Date: 1884~
Partner: Private Collection of Caroline R. Scrivner Richards