Rescuing Texas History, 2007 - 7,029 Matching Results

Search Results

[Cottage on S. Magnolia Street]
Photograph of the front of a white, one-story, L-shaped cottage located at 922 S. Magnolia Street in Palestine, Texas. It has a wrap-around front porch and decorative woodwork around the eaves of a dormer window.
[Headstone of Flora Browning]
Photograph of the headstone for Mrs. Flora Browing, buried in the old section of the Palestine City Cemetery Complex. The headstone has an image of an open book and an open curtain above the text which says: "Sacred To The Memory of Mrs. Flora, Consort of G.W. Browing. Born June18, 1908, Died Sept. 12, 1857."
[G.E. Dilley Building - 401 W. Main]
Photograph of the front of the "Dilley Building," a two-story, brick building located at 401 and 403 W. Main in Palestine, Texas. It has a rectangular plan and load-bearing masonry walls with Victorian Italianate-style details, including an elaborately detailed parapet on the façade and the segmental-arched hoodmolds on the second floors of the south and east elevations. It is classified as a Two-Part Commercial Block building, and is part of Palestine’s central business district.
[638 S. Magnolia - Silliman House]
Photograph of the front and south side of the Silliman House, a two-story, brick Georgian Revival-style house located at 638 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It has some stone accents including light-colored quoins on the corners.
[Cunningham House]
Photograph of the front of a two-story, Victorian-style house painted yellow with white trim, located in Palestine, Texas. It was once occupied by the Cunningham Family.
[Palestine Public Library - 1101 N. Cedar]
Photograph of the front and south side of the Palestine Public Library (previously the Alamo School), a two-story, light-colored brick building located at 1101 N. Cedar in Palestine, Texas. There are brick accents around the windows and some other points. A book drop is outside the entrance and several cars are parked in the parking lot; part of a second building is partially visible on the left.
[American Home Bakery]
Photograph of a group of people posing outside the American Home Bakery, a two-story wooden building located at the corner of John and Oak streets in Palestine, Texas. There are two horse-drawn delivery wagons outside the building and the horses are being held by boys; several other people, most wearing aprons, are posed outside the entrance behind them.
[American Home Bakery]
Photograph of a group of people posing outside the American Home Bakery, a two-story wooden building located at the corner of John and Oak streets in Palestine, Texas. There are two horse-drawn delivery wagons outside the building and the horses are being held by boys; several other people, most wearing aprons, are posed outside the entrance behind them.
[St. Phillips Episcopal Church - 106 E. Crawford]
Copy negative of the front of the St. Phillips Episcopal Church, located at 106 E. Crawford in Palestine, Texas, taken from W Crawford Street. It is a brick building that has windows with pointed arches. There is a taller, square tower on the northwest corner of the building. Other buildings are partially visible on the right side of the building and automobiles are parked along the streets. Text at the bottom of the photo says "Episcopal Church, Palestine, Tex."
[St. Phillips Episcopal Church - 106 E. Crawford]
Photograph of the front and north side of the St. Phillips Episcopal Church, located at 106 E. Crawford in Palestine, Texas, taken from E. Crawford and N. Sycamore streets. It is a brick building that has windows with pointed arches. There is a taller, square tower on the northwest corner of the building.
[St. Phillips Episcopal Church - 106 E. Crawford]
Photograph of the front and south side of the St. Phillips Episcopal Church, located at 106 E. Crawford in Palestine, Texas. It is a brick building that has windows with pointed arches. There is a taller, square tower on the northwest corner of the building. Horse-drawn wagons are parked along the streets.
[303 E. Kolstad]
Photograph of the front of a white, two-story, frame house with some Classical Revival-style architectural elements, located at 303 E. Kolstad in Palestine, Texas. There is a sign in the front yard that says "Dogwood Trails Open House"; a woman and young girl are walking toward the entrance.
[303 E. Kolstad]
Photograph of the front and west side of a two-story, frame house with some Classical Revival-style architectural elements, located at 303 E. Kolstad in Palestine, Texas, taken from N. Cedar Street.
[Interior of the Dome of the Anderson County Courthouse]
Close-up photograph of the stained glass design on the inside of the dome in the Anderson County Courthouse, located at 500 N. Church in Palestine, Texas. Most of the design has plain rectangles in varying shades of brown, there is a six-pointed star in the center, surrounded by other decorative accents.
[1211 S. Sycamore]
Photograph of the front of a white, two-story house with blue accents, located at 1211 S. Sycamore in Palestine, Texas. It has Queen Anne-style architecture including an angled, two-story tower on the northwest corner.
[1209 S. Sycamore]
Photograph of the front and south side of a white, 2 ½-story house located at 1209 S. Sycamore in Palestine, Texas. It has Queen Anne-style architecture including detailing on the porch and gable ends.
[House located on the 500 Block N. Sycamore Street]
Photograph of a two-story house painted white with red and blue accents, located on the 500 block of N. Sycamore, in Palestine, Texas. It has some queen Anne-style architectural elements including decorative accents in the gable ends and jigsawn and turned-wood trim on the front porch.
[1404 N. Queen - Apartment Building]
Photograph of a two-story, brick, 4-unit apartment building located at 1404 N. Queen Street in Palestine, Texas. It has decorative brickwork around the windows and roofline, as well as an arch around the front entrance.
[918 S. Magnolia]
Photograph of the front of a one-story, L-plan house located at 918 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It is painted blue with white trim and has Queen Anne-style embellishments including carved wooden posts and decorations along the front porch and shingling on the front gable end.
[1108 N. Sycamore]
Photograph of the front of a one-story house painted blue with white trim, located at 1108 N. Sycamore Street in Palestine, Texas. It has square columns along the front porch with decorative wooden trim.
[House in Palestine]
Photograph of a white, one-story house located somewhere in Palestine, Texas. It has some Queen Anne-style architectural elements including shingling and decorative woodwork around the front porch.
[House at 408 S. Sycamore]
Photograph of the front and part of the south side of a blue, one-story frame house with white accents, located at 408 S. Sycamore in Palestine, Texas. The house has some Queen Anne-style details, including cut-away corners on the side bay and decorative woodwork around the front porch; it also has stained-glass windows in the upper, dormer window. Part of a neighboring house and a stone fence are visible on the right of the image.
[Trinity Presbyterian Church - 1220 S. Sycamore]
Photograph of the front and west side of Trinity Presbyterian Church, a two-story, red-brick building located at 1220 S. Sycamore Street in Palestine, Texas, taken from E. Cook Street. A sign to the left of the door includes the name of the church and a cross symbol.
[House at 1248 S. Royall]
Photograph of the front of a white, two-story, Four Square-style frame house located at 1248 S. Royall in Palestine, Texas. It has a wrap-around porch with double columns on red-brick piers. A tree is in the foreground, to the right of the front walk.
[Unidentified People at a Tree Planting]
Photograph of three unidentified people at a tree planting. One man is crouched on the left side of the image, next to the tree; a second man and a woman are standing together on the right and the man is holding a shovel. A stream and trees are visible in the background.
[House at 204 S. Magnolia]
Photograph of the front and south side of a two-story, light-colored house with white trim, located at 204 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It has Queen Anne-style architecture including decorative wordwork around the front porches on both stories, and shingling in the front gable; it also has a stained-glass window in an upper-story window. Cars parked on the street, in front of the house.
[Hous at 818 N. Tennessee]
Photograph of a one-story, modified L-plan house painted pink with white trim, located at 818 N. Tennessee in Palestine, Texas. The wrap-around front porch has Doric-like columns and a small fence.
[House at 605 S. Royall]
Photograph of the front of a white, two-story, Queen Anne-style frame house located at 605 S. Royall in Palestine, Texas. Architectural details include the vertical emphasis, the jigsawn- and turned-wood porch trim, and a steep, hipped roof. It also has partially-enclosed side porches.
[Unidentified Men in Palestine]
Photograph of a group of unidentified men standing in front of a business in downtown Palestine, Texas. Several of the men are wearing uniforms that include red jackets and are holding a long red ribbon; other men are standing in the background and one man on the right is holding a pair of scissors that have a red bow on them.
[Unidentified Men in Palestine]
Photograph of a group of unidentified men in front of a business in downtown Palestine. The men in the front are all wearing uniforms that include red jackets and are holding a long red ribbon; a man in the center of the image is holding a stack of cards and appears to be speaking.
[Blue House in Palestine]
Photograph of the front of a one-story cottage painted blue with white trim, located in Palestine, Texas. Trees are visible in the front yard, in the foreground.
[House at 606 S. Sycamore]
Photograph of the front of a white, two-story house with two-story square columns, located at 606 S. Sycamore in Palestine, Texas.
[601 S. Sycamore - Pearlstone / Maier House]
Photograph of the front of the "Pearlstone/Maier House," a two-story house with brick veneer, located at 601 S. Sycamore in Palestine, Texas. It has Spanish Colonial Revival-style architectural details.
[Construction on the First Presbyterian Church - Palestine]
Photograph taken during the construction of a new section of the First Presbyterian Church, located at 410 Avenue A in Palestine, Texas. There are two men doing brickwork on a corner, around a stone plaque that says "First Presbyterian Church, Educational Building Erected 1972, Rev. W. S. Blanton Pastor."
[Courthouse Square - Palestine]
Photograph of several commercial buildings on the west side of N. Church Street in Palestine, Texas, across the street from the Anderson County Courthouse. There are four connected buildings; the first three on the left are single-story buildings of brick and/or stucco. The one on the far left has columns built into the front and a decorative triangular section above; the second is plain with a sidewalk cover and the third is plain with a cloth awning. On the far right, the fourth building is two stories with decorative brickwork and a roof over the sidewalk. Some signs are visible including an "Anderson County Abstract Company" sign on the third building and cars are parked on both sides of the street.
[Courthouse Square - Palestine]
Photograph of a series of connected commercial businesses on the west side of N. Church Street in Palestine, Texas, across the street from the Anderson County Courthouse. Storefronts for five buildings are visible; each of the buildings are single stories and have various sidewalk covers and roofs. The buildings all seem to be stone or brick, and several of the buildings have detailed brick- or stonework around the rooflines and edges. Cars are parked on the street outside the stores.
[Photograph of Oldest Section of the Palestine City Cemetery Complex]
Photograph of the oldest section of the Palestine city cemetery complex, taken from Market Street. Several markers are inside a decorative metal fence and others are outside. Buildings are visible in the background.
[Three Past Chair-Persons of the Anderson County Historical Commission]
Frame containing three portraits, side-by-side, of past chairpersons of the Anderson County Historical Commission: (left to right) Bonner Frizzell, Oliver McReynolds, and Johnnie Bell McDonald Ballard. Frizzell is visible from the waist up, wearing a pinstripe suit, and is posing seated, reading an open book in his lap. McReynolds is visible from the chest up, wearing a dark suit and patterned tie. Ballard is visible from the shoulders up and is wearing a light-colored shirt with a darker jacket.
[Hotel O'Neill - 313 Spring Street]
Copy negative of storefronts on Spring Street in Palestine, Texas. There are two connected brick buildings, two stories on the left and four stories on the right; they have some brick embellishments around the windows. The first building appears to have two storefronts that have a sidewalk cover across the front and a barber's pole on the left corner as well as the words "Bus Station" on one window. To the right, a store labeled "O'Neill Drug Store" is in the larger building, and a roof with a second-story balcony is visible on the far right, over another entrance. There are cars parked along the street and several people visible outside the buildings.
[Hotel O'Neill - 313 Spring Street]
Photograph of the front and one side of Hotel O'Neill, which was located at 313 Spring Street in Palestine, Texas. It is a four-story brick building with some architectural embellishments around the windows; it also has a roof over the front entrance with a "Hotel O'Neill" sign. Cars are parked on the street in front of the building. This building was razed in 1983.
[Texas Theater - 213 W. Crawford]
Photograph of the front of the Texas Theater, part of the 200 Block of W. Crawford Street in Palestine, Texas. The building is made of brick and has masonry embellishments on the facade. There is a "Texas" sign on the front of the building and several signs are visible above the box office, one says "The Brasher Dubloon."
[Anderson County Pasture]
Photograph of a pasture filled with trees in Anderson County, Texas.
[Anderson Campground - Brushy Creek Arbor]
Photograph of the Anderson County Campground (commonly called the Brushy Creek Arbor), a historic site in Anderson County, Texas. It is an open structure with wooden posts and fencing and a wood and metal roof. The area is surrounded by trees.
[411 S. Sycamore - A.S. Fox Home]
Photograph of a family on the lawn of the A.S. Fox home, located at 411 S. Sycamore in Palestine, Texas. There are two young girls wearing light-colored dresses, standing on the left side of the image and looking at a spouting fountain in the yard; a man is standing on the right side of the image, holding a toddler. The house is visible in the background. It is a two-story, light-colored building with two chimneys and a widow's walk on the room, as well as a wrap-around front porch with woodwork. A woman is standing on the porch looking toward the camera. A smaller, more ornate building is also visible on the far left of the image.
[Aerial Photo of Osjetea Briggs' Home]
Aerial photo of the home of Osjetea Briggs, which was located just out of the Palestine, Texas city limits on the highway going toward Rusk.
[Anchor from the Steamboat Ruthven]
Photograph of an anchor from the steamboat Ruthven after she sank, exhibited on the lawn of the Young Men's Business League (later the Chamber of Commerce) in Palestine, Texas. Storefronts are visible lining the opposite side of a street in the background and a horse-drawn carriage is stopped in the street behind the anchor.
[Aerial Photo of Palestine]
Aerial view of the city of Palestine looking toward the north; Magnolia and Sycamore streets are visible, running north-to-south and crossing Main Street near the center of the image.
[The Arbor at the Anderson County Camp Ground - Brushy Creek]
Close-up photograph of a portion of the Arbor at the Anderson County Camp Ground in Anderson County, Texas. It is an open structure with wooden poles and rafters; there are rows of wooden benches under the roof.
[Don Sims]
Headshot portrait of Don Sims wearing a naval uniform including a dark shirt with light stripes and hat. It is inscribed on back: " These pictures wouldn't have been half as good as they were if it hadn't been for you. I'll never forget them. You made it seem so easy, and now I say Thanks from the bottom of my heart. "Till I come Home" As Ever, Don."
[Donald Bowden]
School portrait of Donald Bowden when he was a first grade student at Rusk School in Palestine, Texas. Bowden is seated and visible from the waist up, wearing a light-colored shirt and overalls. There is a line border around the image with the word "Palestine" written at the bottom and the date "1947'48" written along the right side.