Rescuing Texas History, 2007 - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[212 S. Magnolia]

Description: Photograph of the front and south side of a white, two-story frame house located at 212 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It has some Queen Anne-style architecture including a 2-story porch and ornate jigsawn trim.
Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[216 S. Magnolia]

Description: Close-up photograph of a white, two-story house located at 216 S. Magnolia, Palestine, Texas. There is some decorative woodwork along the eaves and corners of the house, and there is a green awning over the front porch.
Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[220 W. Reagan - Grant House]

Description: Photograph of the west side of the "Grant House," a two-story, Queen Anne-style house located at 220 W. Reagan (on the corner of W. Reagan and S. May streets) in Palestine, Texas.
Date: 1940~
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[220 W. Reagan - Grant House]

Description: Photograph of the front and west side of the "Grant House," a yellow, two-story, Queen Anne-style house located at 220 W. Reagan (on the corner of W. Reagan and S. May streets) in Palestine, Texas.
Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[301 S. Magnolia - Bowers Mansion]

Description: Photograph of the front of the "Bowers Mansion" located at 301 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story white house with blue trim that has Victorian Italiante-style architectural elements (including a small cupola with bracketed eaves and narrow, paired windows), and a two-tiered porch with Queen Anne-style turned- and jigsawn- wood trim.
Date: February 1992
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[301 S. Magnolia - Bowers Mansion]

Description: Photograph of the front of the "Bowers Mansion" located at 301 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story white house with blue trim that has Victorian Italiante-style architectural elements (including a small cupola with bracketed eaves and narrow, paired windows), and a two-tiered porch with Queen Anne-style turned- and jigsawn- wood trim. Part of the yard is also visible, including a gazebo near the back of the house and a fountain in the front of the yard.
Date: February 1992
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[301 S. Magnolia - Bowers Mansion]

Description: Photograph of the front of the "Bowers Mansion" located at 301 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story white house with blue trim that has Victorian Italiante-style architectural elements (including a small cupola with bracketed eaves and narrow, paired windows), and a two-tiered porch with Queen Anne-style turned- and jigsawn- wood trim. Part of the yard is also visible, including a gazebo near the back of the house and a fountain in the front of the yard.
Date: February 1992
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[301 S. Magnolia - Bowers Mansion]

Description: Photograph of the north and east sides of the "Bowers Mansion" located at 301 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story house that has Victorian Italiante-style architectural elements (including a small cupola with bracketed eaves and narrow, paired windows), and a two-tiered porch with Queen Anne-style turned- and jigsawn- wood trim. Part of the yard is also visible, a fountain in the front.
Date: 1979~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[303 E. Kolstad]

Description: Photograph of the front of a white, two-story, frame house with some Classical Revival-style architectural elements, located at 303 E. Kolstad in Palestine, Texas. There is a sign in the front yard that says "Dogwood Trails Open House"; a woman and young girl are walking toward the entrance.
Date: 1970~
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[303 E. Kolstad]

Description: Photograph of the front and west side of a two-story, frame house with some Classical Revival-style architectural elements, located at 303 E. Kolstad in Palestine, Texas, taken from N. Cedar Street.
Date: unknown
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[303 E Kolstad]

Description: Photograph of the front and east side of a white, two-story, frame house located at 303 E. Kolstad in Palestine, Texas. It has some Classical Revival-style architectural elements.
Date: 1970~
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[303 E. Kolstad]

Description: Photograph of the front of a blue, two-story, frame house located at 303 E. Kolstad in Palestine, Texas. It has some Classical Revival-style architectural elements.
Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[303 E Kolstad]

Description: Photograph of the front and east side of a white, two-story, frame house located at 303 E. Kolstad in Palestine, Texas. It has some Classical Revival-style architectural elements.
Date: 1970~
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[303 S. Royall]

Description: Photograph of the front and south side of a two-story, brick and stucco Tudor Revival-style house located at 303 S. Royall in Palestine, Texas. Distinctive architectural features include the decorative half-timbered woodwork on the exterior, the steeply pitched, cross-gabled roof, the windows with small panes, and the incorporation of stone into the masonry exterior walls.
Date: 1970~
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[304 Main Street]

Description: Photograph of the entrance to a multi-story commercial building located at 304 Main Street in Palestine, Texas. It has three large, arched openings for doors and windows with decorative metalwork over them, depicting trees. Part of the adjacent building is visible on the right.
Date: 1970~
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[315 E. Kolstad]

Description: Photograph of the front of the "Greenwood House," a two-story, Queen Anne-style house located at 315 E. Kolstad in Palestine, Texas.
Date: 1970~
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[400 N. Queen - Redlands Hotel]

Description: Photograph of the south and west sides of the Redlands Hotel, on the corner of Oak and Queen streets, at 400 N. Queen in Palestine, Texas. It is a Two-Part Vertical Block building that has a U-shaped plan and load-bearing masonry walls, with Renaissance Revival-style architectural elements. Noteworthy features include the quoin-like brick in the end bays of the west and south elevations, and the entablature with large brackets.
Date: 1919~
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[400 N. Queen - Redlands Hotel]

Description: Photograph of the south and west sides of the Redlands Hotel, on the corner of Oak and Queen streets, at 400 N. Queen in Palestine, Texas. It is a Two-Part Vertical Block building that has a U-shaped plan and load-bearing masonry walls, with Renaissance Revival-style architectural elements. Noteworthy features include the quoin-like brick in the end bays of the west and south elevations, and the entablature with large brackets.
Date: 1919~
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[400 N. Queen - Redlands Hotel]

Description: Photograph of the south and west sides of the Redlands Hotel, on the corner of Oak and Queen streets, at 400 N. Queen in Palestine, Texas. It is a Two-Part Vertical Block building that has a U-shaped plan and load-bearing masonry walls, with Renaissance Revival-style architectural elements. Noteworthy features include the quoin-like brick in the end bays of the west and south elevations, and the entablature with large brackets.
Date: 1950~
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[404 S. Royall]

Description: Photograph of the front of a two-story, white house located at 404 S. Royall in Palestine, Texas.
Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[404 S. Royall]

Description: Close-up photograph of the front of a two-story, white house located at 404 S. Royall in Palestine, Texas.
Date: 1970~
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[405 E. Neches]

Description: Photograph of the front of a white, two-story, Colonial Revival-style house located at 405 E. Neches in Palestine, Texas.
Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[407 E. Kolstad - Mallard Alexander House]

Description: One of the oldest homes in Palestine, this house was built using slave labor in 1848 by Judge John B. Mallard. Surrounded by stately oak and cedar trees, it continues to be on its original foundation of one and one-half foot cedar logs and has been repaired and remodeled by later owners. Marked by the State of Texas n 1952, it has been the home of the Forrest Bradberrys since 1957. Judge Mallard and his wife, the former Susan S. Scott, came to Texas from Mississippi in 1845 and settled at Old Fort Houston. In February 1846, he moved to Palestine, the new county seat of Anderson County which had been organized that same year, and purchased ten acres, known as the Mallard Block. This acreage was located just north of the then city limits which is now in Old Town Palestine. The Mallards had seven children including Mrs. Bettie Oder, a beloved teacher in Palestine for forty-six years. Mrs. Oder was born at this home in 1849 and died in Houston in 1940. Also born here was Mrs. Barbara Alexander Eppner. The first census of early Palestine was compiled n 1848 by Mrs. John Mallard, and included the families living in the original town site, a total of 148 whites and 31 negro slaves. Judge Mallard, the first lawyer to practice in Palestine, served as a member of the Fifth Texas Legislature, and was the second Chief Justice of Anderson County. In 1852, he formed a law partnership with Judge William Alexander and Judge John H. Reagan. In 1854, Judge Mallard died and on March 8, 1857, his widow married Judge Alexander. Judge William Alexander, born in Scotland on September 10, 1814, came to Galveston in 1850 and on to Palestine. In 1860, shortly before the outbreak of the ...
Date: 1900~
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[407 E. Kolstad - Mallard Alexander House]

Description: Photograph of a light-colored house surrounded by a lawn and trees. One of the oldest homes in Palestine, this house was built using slave labor in 1848 by Judge John B. Mallard. Surrounded by stately oak and cedar trees, it continues to be on its original foundation of one and one-half foot cedar logs and has been repaired and remodeled by later owners. Marked by the State of Texas n 1952, it has been the home of the Forrest Bradberrys since 1957. Judge Mallard and his wife, the former Susan S. Scott, came to Texas from Mississippi in 1845 and settled at Old Fort Houston. In February 1846, he moved to Palestine, the new county seat of Anderson County which had been organized that same year, and purchased ten acres, known as the Mallard Block. This acreage was located just north of the then city limits which is now in Old Town Palestine. The Mallards had seven children including Mrs. Bettie Oder, a beloved teacher in Palestine for forty-six years. Mrs. Oder was born at this home in 1849 and died in Houston in 1940. Also born here was Mrs. Barbara Alexander Eppner. The first census of early Palestine was compiled n 1848 by Mrs. John Mallard, and included the families living in the original town site, a total of 148 whites and 31 negro slaves. Judge Mallard, the first lawyer to practice in Palestine, served as a member of the Fifth Texas Legislature, and was the second Chief Justice of Anderson County. In 1852, he formed a law partnership with Judge William Alexander and Judge John H. Reagan. In 1854, Judge Mallard died and on March 8, 1857, his widow married Judge Alexander. Judge William Alexander, born in Scotland on September 10, 1814, came to Galveston in 1850 and ...
Date: 1950~
Partner: Palestine Public Library