Rescuing Texas History, 2007 - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[303 E Kolstad]

Description: Photograph of the front and east side of a white, two-story, frame house located at 303 E. Kolstad in Palestine, Texas. It has some Classical Revival-style architectural elements.
Date: 1970~
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[303 E. Kolstad]

Description: Photograph of the front of a blue, two-story, frame house located at 303 E. Kolstad in Palestine, Texas. It has some Classical Revival-style architectural elements.
Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[303 E Kolstad]

Description: Photograph of the front and east side of a white, two-story, frame house located at 303 E. Kolstad in Palestine, Texas. It has some Classical Revival-style architectural elements.
Date: 1970~
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[303 S. Royall]

Description: Photograph of the front and south side of a two-story, brick and stucco Tudor Revival-style house located at 303 S. Royall in Palestine, Texas. Distinctive architectural features include the decorative half-timbered woodwork on the exterior, the steeply pitched, cross-gabled roof, the windows with small panes, and the incorporation of stone into the masonry exterior walls.
Date: 1970~
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[304 Main Street]

Description: Photograph of the entrance to a multi-story commercial building located at 304 Main Street in Palestine, Texas. It has three large, arched openings for doors and windows with decorative metalwork over them, depicting trees. Part of the adjacent building is visible on the right.
Date: 1970~
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[315 E. Kolstad]

Description: Photograph of the front of the "Greenwood House," a two-story, Queen Anne-style house located at 315 E. Kolstad in Palestine, Texas.
Date: 1970~
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[400 N. Queen - Redlands Hotel]

Description: Photograph of the south and west sides of the Redlands Hotel, on the corner of Oak and Queen streets, at 400 N. Queen in Palestine, Texas. It is a Two-Part Vertical Block building that has a U-shaped plan and load-bearing masonry walls, with Renaissance Revival-style architectural elements. Noteworthy features include the quoin-like brick in the end bays of the west and south elevations, and the entablature with large brackets.
Date: 1919~
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[400 N. Queen - Redlands Hotel]

Description: Photograph of the south and west sides of the Redlands Hotel, on the corner of Oak and Queen streets, at 400 N. Queen in Palestine, Texas. It is a Two-Part Vertical Block building that has a U-shaped plan and load-bearing masonry walls, with Renaissance Revival-style architectural elements. Noteworthy features include the quoin-like brick in the end bays of the west and south elevations, and the entablature with large brackets.
Date: 1919~
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[400 N. Queen - Redlands Hotel]

Description: Photograph of the south and west sides of the Redlands Hotel, on the corner of Oak and Queen streets, at 400 N. Queen in Palestine, Texas. It is a Two-Part Vertical Block building that has a U-shaped plan and load-bearing masonry walls, with Renaissance Revival-style architectural elements. Noteworthy features include the quoin-like brick in the end bays of the west and south elevations, and the entablature with large brackets.
Date: 1950~
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[404 S. Royall]

Description: Photograph of the front of a two-story, white house located at 404 S. Royall in Palestine, Texas.
Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[404 S. Royall]

Description: Close-up photograph of the front of a two-story, white house located at 404 S. Royall in Palestine, Texas.
Date: 1970~
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[405 E. Neches]

Description: Photograph of the front of a white, two-story, Colonial Revival-style house located at 405 E. Neches in Palestine, Texas.
Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[407 E. Kolstad - Mallard Alexander House]

Description: One of the oldest homes in Palestine, this house was built using slave labor in 1848 by Judge John B. Mallard. Surrounded by stately oak and cedar trees, it continues to be on its original foundation of one and one-half foot cedar logs and has been repaired and remodeled by later owners. Marked by the State of Texas n 1952, it has been the home of the Forrest Bradberrys since 1957. Judge Mallard and his wife, the former Susan S. Scott, came to Texas from Mississippi in 1845 and settled at Old Fort Houston. In February 1846, he moved to Palestine, the new county seat of Anderson County which had been organized that same year, and purchased ten acres, known as the Mallard Block. This acreage was located just north of the then city limits which is now in Old Town Palestine. The Mallards had seven children including Mrs. Bettie Oder, a beloved teacher in Palestine for forty-six years. Mrs. Oder was born at this home in 1849 and died in Houston in 1940. Also born here was Mrs. Barbara Alexander Eppner. The first census of early Palestine was compiled n 1848 by Mrs. John Mallard, and included the families living in the original town site, a total of 148 whites and 31 negro slaves. Judge Mallard, the first lawyer to practice in Palestine, served as a member of the Fifth Texas Legislature, and was the second Chief Justice of Anderson County. In 1852, he formed a law partnership with Judge William Alexander and Judge John H. Reagan. In 1854, Judge Mallard died and on March 8, 1857, his widow married Judge Alexander. Judge William Alexander, born in Scotland on September 10, 1814, came to Galveston in 1850 and on to Palestine. In 1860, shortly before the outbreak of the ...
Date: 1900~
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[407 E. Kolstad - Mallard Alexander House]

Description: Photograph of a light-colored house surrounded by a lawn and trees. One of the oldest homes in Palestine, this house was built using slave labor in 1848 by Judge John B. Mallard. Surrounded by stately oak and cedar trees, it continues to be on its original foundation of one and one-half foot cedar logs and has been repaired and remodeled by later owners. Marked by the State of Texas n 1952, it has been the home of the Forrest Bradberrys since 1957. Judge Mallard and his wife, the former Susan S. Scott, came to Texas from Mississippi in 1845 and settled at Old Fort Houston. In February 1846, he moved to Palestine, the new county seat of Anderson County which had been organized that same year, and purchased ten acres, known as the Mallard Block. This acreage was located just north of the then city limits which is now in Old Town Palestine. The Mallards had seven children including Mrs. Bettie Oder, a beloved teacher in Palestine for forty-six years. Mrs. Oder was born at this home in 1849 and died in Houston in 1940. Also born here was Mrs. Barbara Alexander Eppner. The first census of early Palestine was compiled n 1848 by Mrs. John Mallard, and included the families living in the original town site, a total of 148 whites and 31 negro slaves. Judge Mallard, the first lawyer to practice in Palestine, served as a member of the Fifth Texas Legislature, and was the second Chief Justice of Anderson County. In 1852, he formed a law partnership with Judge William Alexander and Judge John H. Reagan. In 1854, Judge Mallard died and on March 8, 1857, his widow married Judge Alexander. Judge William Alexander, born in Scotland on September 10, 1814, came to Galveston in 1850 and ...
Date: 1950~
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[407 E. Kolstad - Mallard Alexander House]

Description: One of the oldest homes in Palestine, this house was built using slave labor in 1848 by Judge John B. Mallard. Surrounded by stately oak and cedar trees, it continues to be on its original foundation of one and one-half foot cedar logs and has been repaired and remodeled by later owners. Marked by the State of Texas n 1952, it has been the home of the Forrest Bradberrys since 1957. Judge Mallard and his wife, the former Susan S. Scott, came to Texas from Mississippi in 1845 and settled at Old Fort Houston. In February 1846, he moved to Palestine, the new county seat of Anderson County which had been organized that same year, and purchased ten acres, known as the Mallard Block. This acreage was located just north of the then city limits which is now in Old Town Palestine. The Mallards had seven children including Mrs. Bettie Oder, a beloved teacher in Palestine for forty-six years. Mrs. Oder was born at this home in 1849 and died in Houston in 1940. Also born here was Mrs. Barbara Alexander Eppner. The first census of early Palestine was compiled n 1848 by Mrs. John Mallard, and included the families living in the original town site, a total of 148 whites and 31 negro slaves. Judge Mallard, the first lawyer to practice in Palestine, served as a member of the Fifth Texas Legislature, and was the second Chief Justice of Anderson County. In 1852, he formed a law partnership with Judge William Alexander and Judge John H. Reagan. In 1854, Judge Mallard died and on March 8, 1857, his widow married Judge Alexander. Judge William Alexander, born in Scotland on September 10, 1814, came to Galveston in 1850 and on to Palestine. In 1860, shortly before the outbreak of the ...
Date: 1930~
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[408 E. Neches]

Description: Close-up photograph of part of the front of a two-story, Tudor Revival-style brick house located at 408 E. Neches in Palestine, Texas. Perhaps the most noteworthy architectural element is the decorative half-timbered construction on parts of the exterior.
Date: 1970~
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[408 E. Neches]

Description: Photograph of the front of a two-story, Tudor Revival-style brick house located at 408 E. Neches in Palestine, Texas. Perhaps the most noteworthy architectural element is the decorative half-timbered construction on parts of the exterior.
Date: November 1991
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[410 Avenue A - First Presbyterian Church]

Description: Photograph of the front of the First Presbyterian Church, located at 410 Avenue A in Palestine, Texas. It is a red-brick building with white stone accents that has a Gothic architecture design including leaded stained glass and Tiffany memorial windows. There is a tall silver spire above the tower on the left side of the building. A sign outside the front entrance has information about worship services.
Date: unknown
Location Info:
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[410 Avenue A - First Presbyterian Church]

Description: Copy negative of the front of the First Presbyterian Church, located at 410 Avenue A in Palestine, Texas. It is a red-brick building with white stone accents that has a Gothic architecture design including leaded stained glass and Tiffany memorial windows. There is a tall silver spire above the tower on the left side of the building. A smaller building is visible to the left.
Date: 1900~
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[410 Avenue A - First Presbyterian Church]

Description: Photograph of the northeast corner of the First Presbyterian Church, located at 410 Avenue A in Palestine, Texas. It is a red-brick building with white stone accents that has a Gothic architecture design including leaded stained glass and Tiffany memorial windows. There is a tall silver spire above the tower on the corner of the building.
Date: unknown
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[410 Avenue A - First Presbyterian Church - Palestine]

Description: Photograph of the front of the First Presbyterian Church, located at 410 Avenue A in Palestine, Texas. It is a red-brick building with white stone accents that has a Gothic architecture design including leaded stained glass and Tiffany memorial windows. There is a tall silver spire above the tower on the left side of the building. A sign outside the front entrance has information about worship services.
Date: unknown
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[410 Avenue A - Palestine Daily Herald Building]

Description: Copy negative of the Palestine Herald building on the 300 Block of Avenue A in Palestine, Texas. It is a one-story, red-brick building with white masonry accents; the word "Herald" is in white stone in the center, near the top.
Date: 1940~
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[411 S. Sycamore - A.S. Fox Home]

Description: Photograph of a family on the lawn of the A.S. Fox home, located at 411 S. Sycamore in Palestine, Texas. There are two young girls wearing light-colored dresses, standing on the left side of the image and looking at a spouting fountain in the yard; a man is standing on the right side of the image, holding a toddler. The house is visible in the background. It is a two-story, light-colored building with two chimneys and a widow's walk on the room, as well as a wrap-around front porch with woodwork. A woman is standing on the porch looking toward the camera. A smaller, more ornate building is also visible on the far left of the image.
Date: 1900~
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[412 S. Royall - Royall House]

Description: Copy negative of the front of a two-story house located at 416 S. Royall in Palestine, Texas. There are people on the porch and in the front yard.
Date: 1900~
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library