Rescuing Texas History, 2007 - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

Alamo Hotel

Description: Exterior view of The Alamo Hotel at 400 W. 6th Street. Kash-Karry Grocery sign is visible in background at left. Wesley's Distinctive Dry Cleaning storefront is visible to the right of the hotel. The cleaners was located at 606 Guadalupe.
Date: January 25, 1957
Creator: Douglass, Neal
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Allen, C. B. Reunion #1]

Description: Large group of family members at the C. B. Allen Family Reunion.
Date: 1950~/1959~
Creator: Blewitt, William
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Bosque County Historical Commission

[Allen, C. B. Reunion #2]

Description: Group of adults, seated, older couple in center, she is wearing corsage
Date: 1950~/1959~
Creator: Blewitt, William
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Bosque County Historical Commission

[Allen, C. B. Reunion #3]

Description: Group of twelve young people, younger ones seated in front.
Date: 1950~/1959~
Creator: Blewitt, William
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Bosque County Historical Commission

[Allen, C. B. Reunion #4]

Description: Large family group - 19 adults, 9 children surrounding Mr and Mrs Allen.
Date: 1950~/1959~
Creator: Blewitt, William
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Bosque County Historical Commission

Allred Finance Banquet

Description: Banquet for Allred Finance, includes Mr. Davis
Date: December 21, 1956
Creator: Douglass, Neal
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[American-Statesman typesetting machines]

Description: Photograph of a man working on a typesetting machine at the Austin American-Statesman newspaper facilities.
Date: August 31, 1953
Creator: Douglass, Neal
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[American-Statesman typesetting machines]

Description: Photograph of a room full of typesetting machines at an Austin American-Statesman newspaper facility.
Date: August 31, 1953
Creator: Douglass, Neal
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Amundson-Sommerfeld Wedding #3]

Description: Photograph of a bride and groom walking up the aisle. People are visible in the pews on either side of the aisle.
Date: [1950..1959]
Creator: Blewitt, William
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Bosque County Historical Commission

[Anderson Campground - Brushy Creek Arbor]

Description: This is a photo of the Anderson County Campground. There is a Texas Historical Commission Marker at the site, which was dedicated on September 6, 1981. That same day a National Register of Historic Places designation was also given to the site. Commonly called the Brushy Creek Arbor, Anderson Campground has a long and well known history. During the 1850's, the nearby area was settled with families, most of whom had come from a place called Brushy Creek, which was in Anderson County, South Carolina. By the 1870's a religious campground was constructed, with water provided from a nearby Artesian spring. Families came and stayed for days, bringing their own food, bedding, and supplies. Sermons were preached several times a day. Religious camp meetings were popular in the late 1800's and early 1900's, although there are few visible signs remaining. This arbor is one of the few that has survived intact for over 130 years. Both the church associated with it, Brushy Creek United Methodist, and the arbor itself have changed very little. The total area covers 5.6 acres. Although the last camp meetings were held in the 1930's, the arbor continued to be used for weeklong summer revivals into the 1950's. On the first Sunday of each September, a large homecoming of descendants of the early Brushy Creek families is held at the arbor. A program, business meeting, and meal are part of the agenda, plus a guest speaker and recognition of families. the annual homecoming is a popular, well-attended event. Many descendants still live in the county.
Date: 1950~
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Anderson County Courthouse]

Description: Photograph of the southwest corner of the Anderson County Courthouse, located at 500 N. Church in Palestine, Texas. The three-story building has Classical Revival-style elements including Ionic columns across the front. There is a dome topped with a statue of Lady Justice in the center of the roof and there are awnings on all of the windows.
Date: 1950~
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[Anderson County Courthouse]

Description: Photograph of the west side of the Anderson County Courthouse, located at 500 N. Church in Palestine, Texas. The three-story building has Classical Revival-style elements including Ionic columns across the front. There is a dome topped with a statue of Lady Justice in the center of the roof and there are awnings on all of the windows.
Date: 1950~
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library