Description: Photo of the volunteers of the Palestine Service Men's Club, which operated to serve soldiers passing through the city. It was organized in June of 1942 by area residents, and was inspired by, but independent from, the USO club. Volunteers offered refreshments, letter-writing materials, music, dancing and conversation in the club's room at the O'Neill hotel, which was located across Spring street from the Railroad tracks. The women also took sandwiches and cookies to distribute to the soldiers unable to leave the trains. Additionally, the Palestine group financially supported a separate Negro Service Club that served African American Troops who often rode at the back of the trains farther down the line from this point. The club stayed active through the final days of the war and the last troop train came through town on January 1, 1946. Many military service people from around the country voiced their gratitude for their services.
Date: c. 1945
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission