Rescuing Texas History, 2007 - 7,573 Matching Results

Search Results

[501 S. Magnolia]

Description: Photograph of the south side of a two-story house located at 501 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. The house is brick on the first floor with wooden siding on the front and upper floor, painted light brown or beige with dark brown shutters.
Date: unknown
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[501 S. Magnolia]

Description: Photograph of the south side of a two-story house located at 501 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. The house is brick on the first floor with wooden siding on the front and upper floor, painted light brown or beige with dark brown shutters.
Date: 1979~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[503 E. Hodges - Hearne House]

Description: Photograph of the front of the "Hearne House," a 2 1/2-story house painted red with white trim, located at 503 E. Hodges in Palestine, Texas. It has Queen Anne-style architecture including a corner tower with a conical roof on the southwest corner and a 2-tiered porch with turned balustrades.
Date: 1970~
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[503 E. Hodges - Hearne House]

Description: Close-up photograph of the "Hearne House," showing the front viewed from the west side of the yard. It is a 2 1/2-story house painted red with white trim, located at 503 E. Hodges in Palestine, Texas. It has Queen Anne-style architecture including a corner tower with a conical roof on the southwest corner and a 2-tiered porch with turned balustrades.
Date: 1970~
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[503 E. Hodges - Hearne House]

Description: Close-up photograph of the front of the "Hearne House," a 2 1/2-story house painted red with white trim, located at 503 E. Hodges in Palestine, Texas. It has Queen Anne-style architecture including a corner tower with a conical roof on the southwest corner and a 2-tiered porch with turned balustrades.
Date: 1970~
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[503 E. Hodges - Hearne House]

Description: Photograph of the "Hearne House," a 2 1/2-story house located at 503 E. Hodges in Palestine, Texas. It has Queen Anne-style architecture including a corner tower with a conical roof on the southwest corner and a 2-tiered porch with turned balustrades.
Date: unknown
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[511 S. Royall]

Description: This modest, center-passage dwelling presents another good illustration of how many late 19th century homeowners applied stylistic ornamentation to a vernacular house form. This 1-story frame residence has a front-facing gable extension and porch with turned-wood columns and jigsawn brackets, all of which are suggestive of the Queen Anne style. Rear additions are not only relatively unobtrusive to the building’s original appearance, but they also reflect the property’s physical evolution and are important architectural features. John H. Reagan built this house in the 1880s for his daughter, Bettie Reagan Ferguson, and his son-in-law, Alexander Ferguson. Mr. Ferguson was postmaster of Palestine from 1886-1890. The dwelling was later the home of the couple’s daughter, Bess Ferguson, who taught in the Palestine schools and was a librarian at the Palestine Public Library.
Date: 1970~
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[512 N. John - Eilenberger's Bakery]

Description: Photograph of a portion of Eilenberger’s Bakery located at 512 N. John in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story, brick Two-part Commercial Block building; the portion on the left is painted white with a red door and the portion on the right is red brick with siding on the lower floor. There are green awnings above the doors and windows; the one above the entrance on the left says "Eilenberger's Bake Shop."
Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[517 E. Hodges - Hodges-Darsey House]

Description: Photograph of the front and east side of the "Hodges-Darsey House," located at 517 E. Hodges in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story, white, Queen Anne-style house with Ionic columns along the front porch, which wraps slightly to either side, and a round tower near the southeast corner of the building, in the front.
Date: unknown
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[517 E. Hodges - Hodges-Darsey House]

Description: Photograph of the front and part of the east side of the "Hodges-Darsey House," located at 517 E. Hodges in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story, white, Queen Anne-style house with Ionic columns along the front porch, which wraps slightly to either side, and a round tower near the southeast corner of the building, in the front.
Date: unknown
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[517 E. Hodges - Hodges-Darsey House]

Description: Photograph of the front and east side of the "Hodges-Darsey House," located at 517 E. Hodges in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story, white, Queen Anne-style house with Ionic columns along the front porch, which wraps slightly to either side, and a round tower near the southeast corner of the building, in the front.
Date: unknown
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[517 E. Hodges - Hodges-Darsey House]

Description: Photograph of the southeast corner of the "Hodges-Darsey House," located at 517 E. Hodges in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story, white, Queen Anne-style house with Ionic columns along the front porch, which wraps slightly to either side, and a round tower near the southeast corner of the building, in the front.
Date: unknown
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[519 S. Royall]

Description: Photograph of the front of a white, two-story, brick house located at 519 S. Royall in Palestine, Texas. It has Victorian Italianate architectural embellishments, including the segmental-arched hoodmolds, bracketed eaves, and main entrance with its round-arched portal and hoodmold. Additionally, there are Queen Anne-style aspects, such as the fish-scaled, patterned shingles in the front-facing gable and the complex roof plan. There is snow on the ground and rooftops.
Date: 1979~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Location Info:
Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission

[519 S. Royall]

Description: Photograph of the front of a white, two-story, brick house located at 519 S. Royall in Palestine, Texas. It has Victorian Italianate architectural embellishments, including the segmental-arched hoodmolds, bracketed eaves, and main entrance with its round-arched portal and hoodmold. Additionally, there are Queen Anne-style aspects, such as the fish-scaled, patterned shingles in the front-facing gable and the complex roof plan.
Date: unknown
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[519 S. Royall - Gardner, Gooch, Kolstad House]

Description: Close-up photograph of part of the front of the "Gardner, Gooch, Kolstad House," a white, two-story, brick house located at 519 S. Royall in Palestine, Texas. It has Victorian Italianate architectural embellishments, including the segmental-arched hoodmolds, bracketed eaves, and main entrance with its round-arched portal and hoodmold. Additionally, there are Queen Anne-style aspects, such as the fish-scaled, patterned shingles in the front-facing gable and the complex roof plan. There is snow on the roof and the plants in the yard.
Date: 1970~
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[519 S. Royall - Gardner, Gooch, Kolstad House]

Description: Close-up photograph of part of the northeast corner of the "Gardner, Gooch, Kolstad House," from the front. It is a white, two-story, brick house located at 519 S. Royall in Palestine, Texas. It has Victorian Italianate architectural embellishments, including the segmental-arched hoodmolds, bracketed eaves, and main entrance with its round-arched portal and hoodmold. Additionally, there are Queen Anne-style aspects, such as the fish-scaled, patterned shingles in the front-facing gable and the complex roof plan.
Date: 1970~
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[519 S. Royall - Gooch, Gardner, Kolstad House]

Description: Close-up photograph of the front of the "Gooch, Gardner, Kolstad House," a white, two-story, brick house located at 519 S. Royall in Palestine, Texas. It has Victorian Italianate architectural embellishments, including the segmental-arched hoodmolds, bracketed eaves, and main entrance with its round-arched portal and hoodmold. Additionally, there are Queen Anne-style aspects, such as the fish-scaled, patterned shingles in the front-facing gable and the complex roof plan.
Date: 1970~
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[600 Block S. May - Dilley's Iron Foundry]

Description: Illinois-native George Mansfield Dilley, the prominent railroad-building contractor who played an instrumental role in the expansion of railroads throughout Texas and the South, established this foundry in 1873, one year after the railroad arrived in Palestine. The George M. Dilley & Son Foundry, located adjacent to the I&GN tracks, at one time contained more than ten buildings. The enterprise manufactured some farm equipment and machinery, but its primary output was gray iron and brass castings for Texas railroads. The elder Dilley moved to Dallas in the 1880s, but the foundry continued to be run by his son, George Edward Dilley – one of Palestine’s most prominent citizens of the late 19th century. G.E. Dilley continued operations at the foundry until his death in 1932; his son Clarence V. Dilley then took over until his own death five years later. In the mid-1930s, the plant had an average payroll of about twenty thousand dollars, for a workforce of twenty to twenty-five men. The foundry ceased operations in the late 1930s. All that remains today are the frame office building, the nearby brick brass furnace building, and a lengthy iron fence which borders the property and faces May Street (which local historians believe was named after G.M. Dilley’s infant daughter, Edna May Dilley, who died in 1872).
Date: 1875~
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[600 Block S. May - Dilley's Iron Foundry]

Description: Illinois-native George Mansfield Dilley, the prominent railroad-building contractor who played an instrumental role in the expansion of railroads throughout Texas and the South, established this foundry in 1873, one year after the railroad arrived in Palestine. The George M. Dilley & Son Foundry, located adjacent to the I&GN tracks, at one time contained more than ten buildings. The enterprise manufactured some farm equipment and machinery, but its primary output was gray iron and brass castings for Texas railroads. The elder Dilley moved to Dallas in the 1880s, but the foundry continued to be run by his son, George Edward Dilley – one of Palestine’s most prominent citizens of the late 19th century. G.E. Dilley continued operations at the foundry until his death in 1932; his son Clarence V. Dilley then took over until his own death five years later. In the mid-1930s, the plant had an average payroll of about twenty thousand dollars, for a workforce of twenty to twenty-five men. The foundry ceased operations in the late 1930s. All that remains today are the frame office building, the nearby brick brass furnace building, and a lengthy iron fence which borders the property and faces May Street (which local historians believe was named after G.M. Dilley’s infant daughter, Edna May Dilley, who died in 1872).
Date: 1875~
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[601 E. Hodges - Elmwood]

Description: Photograph of the front and east side of "Elmwood," a white, two-story house located at 601 E. Hodges in Palestine, Texas. The house has a wrap-around porch and a two-story pedimented portico with Ionic-style columns; these elements altered the original Queen Anne-style architecture.
Date: 1950~
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library

[601 E Hodges - Elmwood]

Description: Photograph of the front and west side of "Elmwood," a white, two-story house located at 601 E. Hodges in Palestine, Texas. The house has a wrap-around porch and a two-story pedimented portico with Ionic-style columns; these elements altered the original Queen Anne-style architecture.
Date: 1970~
Location Info:
Partner: Palestine Public Library