Rescuing Texas History, 2009 - 16 Matching Results

Search Results

Ben Hur Temple Benefit Football Game

Description: Photograph of an announcement for the 9th annual benefit game for Crippled Children's Clinic sponsored by the Ben Hur Shrine Temple. The game was played between the Texas freshmen and the A&M freshmen and was held at Memorial Stadium on November 19, 1955.
Date: November 8, 1955
Creator: Douglass, Neal
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

Checker Front Grocery Store

Description: Photograph of Checker Front Grocery Store #20 which was located at 5028 Fairview Drive in Highland Park. Kelly Smith Cleaners and Highland Park Pharmacy are also pictured.
Date: May 18, 1955
Creator: Douglass, Neal
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[Family Being Served at Christmas Dinner Table]

Description: Photograph of a family being served Christmas dinner. From left to right: Patty Blanton; Joe Matthews; Richard King (serving); May Blanton; woman serving; Matt Blanton; Anne Blanton; and an unknown diner. A woman and child can be seen in a back room dining at a different table. The foremost dinner table is set with a red tablecloth, plates, glasses, and lit candles. A china cabinet is sitting in the left corner near Richard King.
Date: December 1955
Creator: Blanton, Joseph Edwin
Partner: Matthews Family and Lambshead Ranch

[Family Being Served at Christmas Dinner Table]

Description: Photograph of a family being served Christmas dinner. From the lower left corner of the table to the lower right: Three unknown dinner guests; Edna Blanton; Tom Blanton (in back); Watt Matthews is seated at the head of the table; a woman in white serving; Richard King stands in a white uniform in the upper right of the photo; Two unidentified male guests; and Louise Matthews. The table is set with a red tablecloth, plates, wine glasses, bowls, lit candles, and a cooked bird. Floral curtains, windows, and a green plant are in the rear.
Date: December 1955
Creator: Blanton, Joseph Edwin
Partner: Matthews Family and Lambshead Ranch

[Gates Memorial Library Staff]

Description: Photograph of the Gates Memorial Library Staff standing outside the library. They are identified as Lucy Stiefel, Elizabeth Karle (Director), Mary Ann Canfil, Shirley Bragg, Betty, Mary Bray, Gwen Foster, and Emily Maxwell. Text on the front of the library says "Memorial Library A Gift of Dellora R. Gates to the People of Port Arthur."
Date: 1955
Creator: Beryl Crist Photography
Partner: Port Arthur Public Library

Magnolia Mobilgas Service Station

Description: Photograph of the exterior of a new Magnolia Mobilgas service station at 2901 Cherrywood Rd. during its grand opening on April 30, 1955. Helmer Johnson was the owner. Attendants are servicing a Studebaker and a Mercury.
Date: April 30, 1955
Creator: Douglass, Neal
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

[March of Dimes and Port Arthur Police]

Description: Photograph of the Port Arthur Police supporting the March of Dimes. Two unidentified men are both holding a piece of paper; a man identified as Charles Brazil (City Manager) is standing to the right of the two men. In the background, several men and women, some wearing uniforms, are standing in front of a wall decorated with a striped star background.
Date: 1955
Partner: Port Arthur Public Library

[March of Dimes and Port Arthur Police]

Description: Photograph of a group of people at a March of Dimes fundraiser on Procter Street. A group of policemen are standing beside a group of women wearing uniforms. In front of the group, there are three men wearing suits; two of the men are holding a piece of paper in between them. One man is identified as J. C. Enright. The police raised $2,908 for the charity.
Date: January 13, 1955
Partner: Port Arthur Public Library

Restoration & Repair to Legation de France, Austin, Texas. For The Daughters of the Republic of Texas

Description: These are the blueprints of the restoration of the Legation de France, now the French Legation Museum maintained by the Daughters of the Republic of Texas. The architectural renderings were drawn in white on three sheets, each of which is labeled in part of the title box at the bottom of every page (in the lower right corner). The first page includes three drawings. The main drawing shows a floor plan of the building and is labeled: First Floor Plan. Scale 1/4:=1'-0". To the right, a tilted drawing shows the "Plot Plan" and a smaller drawing below is labeled: Column Detail. Scale 3"=1'-0" The title box in the lower right corner includes a revision date (11-1-'55) and there is a stamp of a seal above the box. Also at the bottom of the page are two signatures granting approval for the project including Mrs. Barclay Megarity (text below, "For Owner: Mrs. Margaret Megarity) and Louis Runnels (text below, "Contractor: Louis Runnels). The second page has only a single perspective and is labeled: Second Floor Plan. Scale 1/4"=1'-0". The third sheet includes four different drawings. To the left, "East Elevation" at the top and "South Elevation" at the bottom, each with a scale of 1/4"=1'-0". To the right, a small drawing shows "F.S. Section, Rail" and the fourth drawing below it shows a cross-section, labeled: Section. Scale 1/4"=1'-0". The title box in the bottom right corner lists the revision date as 11-4-55. Courtesy of Cushing Memorial Library and Archives, Texas A&M University
Date: November 1955
Creator: Raiford Stripling Associates, Inc.
Partner: French Legation Museum

[Sinclair Service Station]

Description: Photograph of H & L Sinclair Service Station at 5517 Cameron Rd. Demolished. Photo shows two station attendants pumping gas and checking the engine of a customer's automobile.
Date: November 26, 1955
Creator: Douglass, Neal
Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library