Rescuing Texas History, 2009 - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Arthur Macroni Radio Tower]

Description: Photograph of Arthur Marconi Radio Tower at Lamar State College. On each side of the tower, there are cut out shapes in the form of "LS." Buildings and trees surround the tower; one building is identified as the Ruby Ruth Fuller Building. Guglielmo Marconi patented wireless telegraphy, and was a close friend of John W. Gates. Marconi personally built and installed the fifty feet tall antenna mounted on top of the 130 feet tall tower. The tower is part of the National Register of Historic Places, and Ruby Ruth Fuller Building is a Texas Historic Landmark.
Date: 2009
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Port Arthur Public Library

Bee County Sesquicentennial Seal 2008

Description: An illustration of the 2008 Sesquicentennial Seal for Bee County donated to the Bee Picayune as a modification of the 1858 Centennial Seal designed by Lincoln Borglum. . As in the original 1958 Borglum seal, Bee County is projected from its geographical location in Texas. The jet on the seal represents the importance of Chase Field, the Hereford bull represents the importance of the Cattle Industry to the economy of Bee County, the cotton bale represents the importance of agriculture, the oil field represents the importance of oil and gas production in the county, the broom represents the Fortuna Broom Factory and other businesses in Bee county.
Date: 2008
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Bee County Historical Commission

Cravendale

Description: Photograph of Cravendale. The scene is of a house surrounded by trees with a pond in front.
Date: June 22, 2006
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Arlington Historical Society’s Fielder House Museum

Dedication of Marker for Saint Rose Cemetery in Beeville, Texas

Description: Saint Rose Cemetery was designated a Texas Historical Cemetery during a dedication ceremony in August 2008. Dr. Barbara Welder, chair of the Bee County Historical Commission, spoke at the dedication which was attended by Lawrence Oaks, Executive Director of the Texas Historical Commission. This historical African American burial ground was formally deeded in 1921. However, some burials took place prior to that; with the earliest known burial being that of a former slave, Nancy Williams, dating from 1901. Among the prominent individuals interred here are Mose Lott and Allen Canada, the two men who built the first Beeville schoolhouse for African Americans; several veterans of conflicts dating back to World War I; and Mrs. Mary Canada, who was a mediator between the black and white communities during the “incident free” desegregation of the Beeville Independent School District.
Date: August 2008
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Bee County Historical Commission

[Gates Memorial Library]

Description: Photograph of a building identified as Gates Memorial Library, a National Register Historic Place. There are columns in the front of the building. In the foreground, there is a round courtyard with four flower beds and four flag poles with the American flag, Texas flag, and two unknown. A bust on a cement slab and a street light are in the center.
Date: 2009
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Port Arthur Public Library

[Lamar State College]

Description: Photograph of Lamar State College campus. In the foreground, there is a round courtyard with four flower beds and four flag poles with the American flag, Texas flag, and two unknown. In the background, there are buildings and a radio tower; one building is identified as Ruby Ruth Fuller Building, a recorded Texas Historic Landmark, and the tower is named Marconi Radio Tower, a National Register Historic Place.
Date: 2009
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Port Arthur Public Library

[Lamar State College]

Description: Photograph of an exterior view of the Lamar State College theatre facilities. In front of the building, there are groups of people standing and walking on sidewalks. On the building above a set of doors, text says "Lamar Theater."
Date: 2009
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Port Arthur Public Library

Post Office, Arlington, Texas

Description: Photograph of the Post Office in Arlington. The building has windows, a door, and steps in front. There are power lines and trees around it.
Date: June 22, 2006
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Arlington Historical Society’s Fielder House Museum