Rescuing Texas History, 2009 - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Postcard by James Sutherlin to his parents - 09/03/1944]

Description: Postcard of a painted scene of the Brooklyn bridge. On the back of the card is a note from James Edgar Sutherlin saying that he is OK in New York and tired of walking.
Date: unknown
Creator: Sutherlin, James E
Partner: Private Collection of the Sutherlin Family

[Naval Auxiliary Air Station - Cabaniss Field Naval Air Training Center - Service Pamphlet]

Description: Pamphlet detailing the "Order of Service for Morning Worship" on February 13, 1944 at the Cabaniss Field Naval Air Training Center in Corpus Christi, Texas. It has a list of prayers, readings, songs and the times and locations for the services for the Protestant, Catholic and Jewish worshipers. The pamphlet, folded in the form of a post-card was addressed from James Edgar Sutherlin to his father, Edgar B. Sutherlin, on February 14, 1944. On the very back of the pamphlet is a list of Bible excerpts handwritten by James.
Date: unknown
Creator: Sutherlin, James E.
Partner: Private Collection of the Sutherlin Family

[Postcard from James Sutherlin to his father - 02/14/1943]

Description: Plain postcard containing a letter from James E. Sutherlin to his father asking for extra spending money because he spent what was given to him by his sister Waneta.
Date: unknown
Creator: Sutherlin, James E.
Partner: Private Collection of the Sutherlin Family

[Postcard from James Sutherlin to his parents - 02/07/1944]

Description: Postcard of a plaza in Corpus Christi. The back of the card is a note from James Sutherlin to his parents notifying them of his safe arrival in Corpus Christi.
Date: unknown
Creator: Sutherlin, James E.
Partner: Private Collection of the Sutherlin Family

[Postcard from James Sutherlin to his parents - 03/30/1944]

Description: Postcard of a painted scene of a Blue Bonnet field in and a star showing the state capital. On the back of the card is a note from James Edgar Sutherlin to his parents letting them know when he will be home
Date: unknown
Creator: Sutherlin, James E.
Partner: Private Collection of the Sutherlin Family

Burning Oil Tank

Description: Photograph on postcard of smoke towering over the landscape near Breckenridge, Texas. The smoke is from a large burning oil tank.
Date: unknown
Creator: The Texas Studio
Partner: Permian Basin Petroleum Museum, Library and Hall of Fame

Burning Oil Well

Description: Photograph on postcard of the burning of the National Oil Well. Two men look on as flames shoot high into the air, and smoke towers over the landscape.
Date: unknown
Creator: The Texas Studio
Partner: Permian Basin Petroleum Museum, Library and Hall of Fame

Burning Oil Well

Description: Photograph on postcard of the burning of the National Oil Well. Flames shoot high into the air, and smoke billows from the flames.
Date: unknown
Creator: The Texas Studio
Partner: Permian Basin Petroleum Museum, Library and Hall of Fame

Derrick in Breckenridge

Description: Photograph on postcard of a wooden oil derrick set up in the town of Breckenridge, Texas. Cars and people cover the towns streets around the derrick.
Date: unknown
Creator: The Texas Studio
Partner: Permian Basin Petroleum Museum, Library and Hall of Fame

Gulf Oil Gusher

Description: Photograph on postcard of a Gulf Oil Company oil well in Breckenridge, Texas spouting a 12,000 bbl. gusher. Oil is blasted high into the air over the derrick.
Date: unknown
Creator: The Texas Studio
Partner: Permian Basin Petroleum Museum, Library and Hall of Fame

Oil Tanks

Description: Photograph on postcard of several huge oil tanks at the Stoker No. 2 oil well near Breckenridge, Texas.
Date: unknown
Creator: The Texas Studio
Partner: Permian Basin Petroleum Museum, Library and Hall of Fame

After A Few Minor Problems

Description: Postcard from the 1968 World's Fair known as HemisFair '68, held from April to October 1968 in San Antonio, Texas.
Date: 1968
Partner: University of Texas at San Antonio

Along the Road in Bee County

Description: Postcard of a scene showing the area "Along the Highway Near Beeville, Texas" as printed at the bottom of the postcard. Note the electrical lines along the road. Beeville first connected with the outside world by telegraph on July 20, 1885, when the first telegraph office opened on the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railroad, even before the tracks were completed. Later, in 1891, Wright Van Meter set telephone poles along the Beeville-Refugio Road to Quincy’s Land and Colonization Company. Before 1900, Beeville had two telephone companies, the Southwestern Telephone and Telegraph Company and Eureka Telephone Company. Electrical lights went on in Beeville on November 30, 1896. L.D. Rhodes set up a plant near the Sims gin. Before 1900, lights were turned on and off because too many preferred the oil lamp. Central Power and Light came to Beeville in 1925 and the R.E.A. served all other rural areas.
Date: unknown
Partner: Bee County Historical Commission

Bee County Courthouse, 1912

Description: Postcard showing the Bee County Courthouse built in 1912. The Bee County Courthouse was built in 1912 by local architects W.C. Stephenson and F.W. Heldenfels. It is the county’s fourth courthouse. Recorded as a Texas Historical Landmark in 2000, the county courthouse is part of the Texas historical Courthouse Preservation Program. In 2006, after a large scale restoration, a rededication ceremony took place. Features original to the courthouse, such as the rotuda and district court balcony, as well as the details of the tile and marble, were carefully restored. After being repaired and regilded, Lady Justice was returned to the top of the courthouse in 2005. Unlike most representations of Justice, this lady reigns from her top-of-dome perch, not with a blindfold, but with her eyes open. W.C. Stephenson sculpted Lady Justice. The Courthouse is also on the National Register, and is located on the courthouse square which borders Washington, Houston, Corpus Christi, and St Marys Streets.
Date: unknown
Partner: Bee County Historical Commission

Bee County Jail, 1893

Description: Postcard of the "Bee County Jail, Beeville Texas" 1893. The first Bee County jail was built in 1874 west of the courthouse on the courtyard, or public square. Prior to its completion, prisoners were guarded by private citizens who were paid by the county. Nineteen years later, in 1893, this new jail was built. The first jail, a wooden building whose jail cells were lined with cast-iron material, was moved and is now preserved on the grounds of the Sheriff’s Office at 1511 E. Toledo. This second Bee county jail was completed in January of 1893. It was a two-story brick structure that, for almost half of a century, stood as a symbol of Bee County law enforcement. It was torn down and a new facility was built in 1936. In 1989, it was replaced by the present modern jail on Toledo Street.
Date: unknown
Partner: Bee County Historical Commission

Beeville Main Street 1909

Description: A 1909 postcard of Washington Street facing north in downtown Beeville. On the left of the card a corner of the Grand Opera House is visible. The First National Bank of Beeville can also be seen at the corner of Bowie and Washington on the same side of the street as the Grand Opera House. Washington Street is not paved in this picture. It will be 1921 before Beeville paved her principal streets.
Date: unknown
Partner: Bee County Historical Commission

Beeville Main Street 1914

Description: View of Washington Street in 1914 looking north. The red brick three stories building on the left was the first “skyscraper” for Beeville. It was the Grand Opera House, built by A.F. Rees and E.J. Kinkler at the corner of Washington and Bowie Streets in 1907, and opened in 1908. Many Broadway stage plays, musical comedies, and light operas were presented in the opera house. The building was destroyed by fire in 1919. The building to the left of the Grand Opera House was Beeville’s first bank, the First National Bank of Beeville, which opened in 1890, and moved to this location by 1894. This postcard shows the modes of transportation available in the early 1900’s, a buggy, automobile, wagon and horse. By 1908 automobiles were owned by several individuals in Beeville.
Date: September 29, 1914
Partner: Bee County Historical Commission

Beeville Post Office

Description: In 1857, Michael Seeligson was the first postmaster at Beeville-on the Medio (originally Medio Hill in Goliad County), five miles northeast of the present town of Beeville. In the new county seat after 1889, the Beeville Post Office was moved several times. Opened on June 5, 1918, the present neoclassical building was built under Secretary of the Treasury William G. McAdoo, with Supervising Architect James A. Wetmore. During construction, on May 7, 1917, contractor Robert B. Brown shot and killed Drayman J.P. Hermes. Found guilty of homicide in federal court, Brown appealed. In 1921, U.S. Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Homes ruled that Brown acted in self defense, thus establishing the right to stand one’s ground in federal law. With the WWII boom and Chase Naval Air Field, the Beeville Post Office was upgraded to a first-class post office in 1944. Other changes followed, such as the end of mail contracts for the railroads in December of 1952. In 1961, the size of the building was doubled by the matched addition of the north half of the present structure. Much needed parking space was provided on the south side of the building in 1989. One block from the courthouse, this historic building and its postal services continue to be vital to the life of the town.
Date: 1918
Partner: Bee County Historical Commission

Bravo

Description: Postcard from the 1968 World's Fair known as HemisFair '68, held from April to October 1968 in San Antonio, Texas. The illustration on the card shows a mustachioed grinning character wearing a sombrero with the word "Bravo" above it.
Date: 1968
Partner: University of Texas at San Antonio

Burning Oil Well

Description: Photograph on postcard of the C.L. Perkins No. 5 oil well on fire near Ranger, Texas in 1919. Fire and smoke reach high in the sky, towering over the nearby trees.
Date: 1919
Partner: Permian Basin Petroleum Museum, Library and Hall of Fame

A. C. Jones Home

Description: Postcard of the two-story Baroque architecture styled home of Mrs A. C. Jones located at 611 East Jones St. Philanthropist and supporter of local schools, Mrs. A.C. (Jane Field) Jones (1842-1918) built the house on this site after her husband Captain Jones’ death in 1906. Governors and other Texas leaders were welcomed here. Located on the hill where the college stands today, the first and much grander A.C. Jones home was sold to the John Flournoy and moved into town by mule and wagon. It stood facing Flournoy Park until it was razed in 1946.
Date: January 7, 1907
Partner: Bee County Historical Commission

Calypso

Description: "Calypso, one of nearly 20 fantastic rides that dot the landscape of Fiesta Island and the areas about the Tower of the Americas. Many of these are imported; many to be shown here for the first time."
Date: 1967
Partner: University of Texas at San Antonio