Rescuing Texas History, 2009 - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Arthur Macroni Radio Tower]

Description: Photograph of Arthur Marconi Radio Tower at Lamar State College. On each side of the tower, there are cut out shapes in the form of "LS." Buildings and trees surround the tower; one building is identified as the Ruby Ruth Fuller Building. Guglielmo Marconi patented wireless telegraphy, and was a close friend of John W. Gates. Marconi personally built and installed the fifty feet tall antenna mounted on top of the 130 feet tall tower. The tower is part of the National Register of Historic Places, and Ruby Ruth Fuller Building is a Texas Historic Landmark.
Date: 2009
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Port Arthur Public Library

[Gates Memorial Library]

Description: Photograph of a building identified as Gates Memorial Library, a National Register Historic Place. There are columns in the front of the building. In the foreground, there is a round courtyard with four flower beds and four flag poles with the American flag, Texas flag, and two unknown. A bust on a cement slab and a street light are in the center.
Date: 2009
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Port Arthur Public Library

[Lamar State College]

Description: Photograph of Lamar State College campus. In the foreground, there is a round courtyard with four flower beds and four flag poles with the American flag, Texas flag, and two unknown. In the background, there are buildings and a radio tower; one building is identified as Ruby Ruth Fuller Building, a recorded Texas Historic Landmark, and the tower is named Marconi Radio Tower, a National Register Historic Place.
Date: 2009
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Port Arthur Public Library

[Lamar State College]

Description: Photograph of an exterior view of the Lamar State College theatre facilities. In front of the building, there are groups of people standing and walking on sidewalks. On the building above a set of doors, text says "Lamar Theater."
Date: 2009
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Port Arthur Public Library

Dedication of Marker for Saint Rose Cemetery in Beeville, Texas

Description: Saint Rose Cemetery was designated a Texas Historical Cemetery during a dedication ceremony in August 2008. Dr. Barbara Welder, chair of the Bee County Historical Commission, spoke at the dedication which was attended by Lawrence Oaks, Executive Director of the Texas Historical Commission. This historical African American burial ground was formally deeded in 1921. However, some burials took place prior to that; with the earliest known burial being that of a former slave, Nancy Williams, dating from 1901. Among the prominent individuals interred here are Mose Lott and Allen Canada, the two men who built the first Beeville schoolhouse for African Americans; several veterans of conflicts dating back to World War I; and Mrs. Mary Canada, who was a mediator between the black and white communities during the “incident free” desegregation of the Beeville Independent School District.
Date: August 2008
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Bee County Historical Commission

Bee County Sesquicentennial Seal 2008

Description: An illustration of the 2008 Sesquicentennial Seal for Bee County donated to the Bee Picayune as a modification of the 1858 Centennial Seal designed by Lincoln Borglum. . As in the original 1958 Borglum seal, Bee County is projected from its geographical location in Texas. The jet on the seal represents the importance of Chase Field, the Hereford bull represents the importance of the Cattle Industry to the economy of Bee County, the cotton bale represents the importance of agriculture, the oil field represents the importance of oil and gas production in the county, the broom represents the Fortuna Broom Factory and other businesses in Bee county.
Date: 2008
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Bee County Historical Commission

Cravendale

Description: Photograph of Cravendale. The scene is of a house surrounded by trees with a pond in front.
Date: June 22, 2006
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Arlington Historical Society’s Fielder House Museum

Post Office, Arlington, Texas

Description: Photograph of the Post Office in Arlington. The building has windows, a door, and steps in front. There are power lines and trees around it.
Date: June 22, 2006
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Arlington Historical Society’s Fielder House Museum

[Maxine & Lutrell Watts: Statement by Lutrell]

Description: Statement written by Lutrell Watts giving a brief history of his and his wife's experience teaching the the Lower Valley Community and ultimately having an elementary school named after them.
Date: 1999~
Creator: Watts, Lutrell
Item Type: Text
Partner: Northeast Lakeview College

[Gulf Oil Refinery Office Building]

Description: Photograph of an exterior view of a brick building identified as an old Gulf Oil Refinery office building, on west Seventh Street at Gulf Docks. The building is several stories high, and a sign near the building says "Chevron Port Arthur Refinery." In front of the building, there is a truck and a fence.
Date: December 8, 1993
Creator: Everett, James
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Port Arthur Public Library

[Maxine & Lutrell Watts: Statement by Maxine]

Description: Statement written by Maxine Watts giving a brief history of her own and her husband's experiences teaching the the Lower Valley Community and participation in the Lions Club.
Date: 1990
Creator: Watts, Maxine
Item Type: Text
Partner: Northeast Lakeview College

[Ronald Reagan Shaking Watt Matthews' Hand]

Description: Photograph of President Ronald Regan congratulating Watt Reynolds Matthews at the Cowboy Hall of Fame. The men are facing the camera shaking hands and standing in front of a blue backdrop. Written on the mat below the photo is the inscription: "To Watt Matthews With Best Wishes - Ronald Regan." Photo is labeled on the back: "Cowboy Hall - July 21, 1989 WATT MATTHEWS."
Date: July 21, 1989
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Matthews Family and Lambshead Ranch

[Queen of Vietnam Shrine]

Description: Photograph of the Queen of Vietnam Shrine on the 900 block of Ninth Avenue. The shrine consists of statue of a woman wearing robes with her hands outstretched while holding a rosary; there is a sacred heart symbol on her chest and a crown on her head. The statue is located under an Asian-style gazebo. A walkway leads to the shrine, and plants and a garden surround it. In the background, there are buildings. The shrine was built in 1986.
Date: 1989
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Port Arthur Public Library

HemisFair Luncheon, 1988

Description: Speech given at HemisFair Luncheon commemorating the 20th anniversary of HemisFair '68.
Date: 1988
Item Type: Text
Partner: University of Texas at San Antonio

[Whitehaven House]

Description: Photograph of an exterior view of a building identified as Whitehaven, the home of Dr. and Mrs. H. D. Morris on 2545 Lakeshore Drive. The house is two stories high, and columns in the front reach the second story. Bushes and shrubs line the house. The house was built in 1915, and is now owned and operated by Lamar State College. Facilities were donated to the college by the Port Arthur Daughters of the American Revolution in 2000.
Date: 1988
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Port Arthur Public Library

[Whitehaven House]

Description: Photograph of an exterior view of a building identified as Whitehaven, the home of Dr. and Mrs. H. D. Morris on 2545 Lakeshore Drive. The house is two stories high, and columns in the front reach the second story. There is a flag pole and a circle driveway in the front yard. Text at the top of the photograph says "White Haven 1988." The house was built in 1915, and is now owned and operated by Lamar State College. Facilities were donated to the college by the Port Arthur Daughters of the American Revolution in 2000.
Date: 1988
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Port Arthur Public Library

[Farm Royale]

Description: Photograph of a building identified as Farm Royale on 2701 Memorial Boulevard. The front of the building features cut-outs of a cartoon cow, chicken, and pig. Signs along the width of the restaurant say "Coca-Cola," "Fried Chicken," "Farm Royale," and "Barbecue Chicken." A sign running vertical on the roof of the building says "Farm Royale." In the background, there are houses.
Date: 1987
Creator: Everett, James
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Port Arthur Public Library

Lower Valley School Reunion

Description: Pamphlet from the first reunion of Lower Valley School alumni which includes the program from the even, and text containing a history of the Lower Valley School and surrounding community as well as a timeline of the known teachers who worked at the school and a list of school trustees.
Date: 1987
Item Type: Pamphlet
Partner: Northeast Lakeview College

[Port Arthur City Hall]

Description: Photograph of a building identified as Port Arthur City Hall on 444 Fourth Street. The building is several stories high, and there are windows along the corners and top of it. There are several trees and a parking lot with cars in the foreground.
Date: 1986
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Port Arthur Public Library

[Aerial View of Government Complex]

Description: Photograph of an aerial view of a governmental complex. The complex includes a sub-courthouse, city hall, and post office. Other buildings and a body of water are also visible. Text below the photograph says "Governmental Complex Port Arthur, Texas August, 1985."
Date: August 1985
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Port Arthur Public Library

[Restored Stone Ranch]

Description: Photograph of ranch buildings in a field. A small building with a chimney is sitting to the left of a larger building that has a chimney on either side, two windows, and a door.
Date: 1985
Creator: Parks, David
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Matthews Family and Lambshead Ranch