Rescuing Texas History, 2009 - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Arthur Macroni Radio Tower]

Description: Photograph of Arthur Marconi Radio Tower at Lamar State College. On each side of the tower, there are cut out shapes in the form of "LS." Buildings and trees surround the tower; one building is identified as the Ruby Ruth Fuller Building. Guglielmo Marconi patented wireless telegraphy, and was a close friend of John W. Gates. Marconi personally built and installed the fifty feet tall antenna mounted on top of the 130 feet tall tower. The tower is part of the National Register of Historic Places, and Ruby Ruth Fuller Building is a Texas Historic Landmark.
Date: 2009
Partner: Port Arthur Public Library

[Gates Memorial Library]

Description: Photograph of a building identified as Gates Memorial Library, a National Register Historic Place. There are columns in the front of the building. In the foreground, there is a round courtyard with four flower beds and four flag poles with the American flag, Texas flag, and two unknown. A bust on a cement slab and a street light are in the center.
Date: 2009
Partner: Port Arthur Public Library

[Lamar State College]

Description: Photograph of Lamar State College campus. In the foreground, there is a round courtyard with four flower beds and four flag poles with the American flag, Texas flag, and two unknown. In the background, there are buildings and a radio tower; one building is identified as Ruby Ruth Fuller Building, a recorded Texas Historic Landmark, and the tower is named Marconi Radio Tower, a National Register Historic Place.
Date: 2009
Partner: Port Arthur Public Library

[Lamar State College]

Description: Photograph of an exterior view of the Lamar State College theatre facilities. In front of the building, there are groups of people standing and walking on sidewalks. On the building above a set of doors, text says "Lamar Theater."
Date: 2009
Partner: Port Arthur Public Library

Dedication of Marker for Saint Rose Cemetery in Beeville, Texas

Description: Saint Rose Cemetery was designated a Texas Historical Cemetery during a dedication ceremony in August 2008. Dr. Barbara Welder, chair of the Bee County Historical Commission, spoke at the dedication which was attended by Lawrence Oaks, Executive Director of the Texas Historical Commission. This historical African American burial ground was formally deeded in 1921. However, some burials took place prior to that; with the earliest known burial being that of a former slave, Nancy Williams, dating from 1901. Among the prominent individuals interred here are Mose Lott and Allen Canada, the two men who built the first Beeville schoolhouse for African Americans; several veterans of conflicts dating back to World War I; and Mrs. Mary Canada, who was a mediator between the black and white communities during the “incident free” desegregation of the Beeville Independent School District.
Date: August 2008
Partner: Bee County Historical Commission

Bee County Sesquicentennial Seal 2008

Description: An illustration of the 2008 Sesquicentennial Seal for Bee County donated to the Bee Picayune as a modification of the 1858 Centennial Seal designed by Lincoln Borglum. . As in the original 1958 Borglum seal, Bee County is projected from its geographical location in Texas. The jet on the seal represents the importance of Chase Field, the Hereford bull represents the importance of the Cattle Industry to the economy of Bee County, the cotton bale represents the importance of agriculture, the oil field represents the importance of oil and gas production in the county, the broom represents the Fortuna Broom Factory and other businesses in Bee county.
Date: 2008
Partner: Bee County Historical Commission

Cravendale

Description: Photograph of Cravendale. The scene is of a house surrounded by trees with a pond in front.
Date: June 22, 2006
Partner: Arlington Historical Society’s Fielder House Museum

Post Office, Arlington, Texas

Description: Photograph of the Post Office in Arlington. The building has windows, a door, and steps in front. There are power lines and trees around it.
Date: June 22, 2006
Partner: Arlington Historical Society’s Fielder House Museum

[Gulf Oil Refinery Office Building]

Description: Photograph of an exterior view of a brick building identified as an old Gulf Oil Refinery office building, on west Seventh Street at Gulf Docks. The building is several stories high, and a sign near the building says "Chevron Port Arthur Refinery." In front of the building, there is a truck and a fence.
Date: December 8, 1993
Creator: Everett, James
Partner: Port Arthur Public Library

[Ronald Reagan Shaking Watt Matthews' Hand]

Description: Photograph of President Ronald Regan congratulating Watt Reynolds Matthews at the Cowboy Hall of Fame. The men are facing the camera shaking hands and standing in front of a blue backdrop. Written on the mat below the photo is the inscription: "To Watt Matthews With Best Wishes - Ronald Regan." Photo is labeled on the back: "Cowboy Hall - July 21, 1989 WATT MATTHEWS."
Date: July 21, 1989
Partner: Matthews Family and Lambshead Ranch

[Queen of Vietnam Shrine]

Description: Photograph of the Queen of Vietnam Shrine on the 900 block of Ninth Avenue. The shrine consists of statue of a woman wearing robes with her hands outstretched while holding a rosary; there is a sacred heart symbol on her chest and a crown on her head. The statue is located under an Asian-style gazebo. A walkway leads to the shrine, and plants and a garden surround it. In the background, there are buildings. The shrine was built in 1986.
Date: 1989
Partner: Port Arthur Public Library

[Whitehaven House]

Description: Photograph of an exterior view of a building identified as Whitehaven, the home of Dr. and Mrs. H. D. Morris on 2545 Lakeshore Drive. The house is two stories high, and columns in the front reach the second story. Bushes and shrubs line the house. The house was built in 1915, and is now owned and operated by Lamar State College. Facilities were donated to the college by the Port Arthur Daughters of the American Revolution in 2000.
Date: 1988
Partner: Port Arthur Public Library

[Whitehaven House]

Description: Photograph of an exterior view of a building identified as Whitehaven, the home of Dr. and Mrs. H. D. Morris on 2545 Lakeshore Drive. The house is two stories high, and columns in the front reach the second story. There is a flag pole and a circle driveway in the front yard. Text at the top of the photograph says "White Haven 1988." The house was built in 1915, and is now owned and operated by Lamar State College. Facilities were donated to the college by the Port Arthur Daughters of the American Revolution in 2000.
Date: 1988
Partner: Port Arthur Public Library

[Farm Royale]

Description: Photograph of a building identified as Farm Royale on 2701 Memorial Boulevard. The front of the building features cut-outs of a cartoon cow, chicken, and pig. Signs along the width of the restaurant say "Coca-Cola," "Fried Chicken," "Farm Royale," and "Barbecue Chicken." A sign running vertical on the roof of the building says "Farm Royale." In the background, there are houses.
Date: 1987
Creator: Everett, James
Partner: Port Arthur Public Library

[Port Arthur City Hall]

Description: Photograph of a building identified as Port Arthur City Hall on 444 Fourth Street. The building is several stories high, and there are windows along the corners and top of it. There are several trees and a parking lot with cars in the foreground.
Date: 1986
Partner: Port Arthur Public Library

[Aerial View of Government Complex]

Description: Photograph of an aerial view of a governmental complex. The complex includes a sub-courthouse, city hall, and post office. Other buildings and a body of water are also visible. Text below the photograph says "Governmental Complex Port Arthur, Texas August, 1985."
Date: August 1985
Partner: Port Arthur Public Library

[Restored Stone Ranch]

Description: Photograph of ranch buildings in a field. A small building with a chimney is sitting to the left of a larger building that has a chimney on either side, two windows, and a door.
Date: 1985
Creator: Parks, David
Partner: Matthews Family and Lambshead Ranch

[CavOILcade Parade]

Description: Photograph of eight women sitting on a parade float for the CavOILcade Parade. Two women are identified as Mrs. Merle Murphy (standing far right) and Mrs. George (Martha) Gray (front row, far right). All but one of the women are wearing historical dresses. There is an embroidery hoop to the left of the women, one woman is holding a parasol, and another woman is holding a quilt. A sign on the front of the float says "Civic Club."
Date: 1984
Creator: J. C. Watkins Photography
Partner: Port Arthur Public Library

[Crowd Seated for an Event at a Stele]

Description: Photograph of a crowd of people seated before a large rock. The crowd, left, is made up of various ages and races of people, with some standing along the edge of the mass. To the right, a group of people are situated in a line to the sides of a rock that is half again the size of a person. The rock is broad and thin and has a hide on its front. A man in a pink shirt (Bob Green) leans against the rock to the right, while another man (Joe Blanton)stands in front of it. Cars can be seen parked in the background.
Date: 1984~
Creator: Doss, Keller
Partner: Matthews Family and Lambshead Ranch

[Elders in a Field]

Description: Photograph of four elderly people in a field. Three elderly sisters (Sallie, Lucile, and Ethel) are seated in the field with the elderly Watt Matthews standing behind them with his hands on the first and third lady. A prickly pear cactus grows to the right of the group.
Date: 1984~
Creator: Doss, Keller
Partner: Matthews Family and Lambshead Ranch

[Group of People outside of a Ranch House]

Description: Photograph of over twenty people at various stages in their adult lives who are gathered in front of a stone ranch house. Three elderly sisters (Sallie, Lucile, and Ethel) sit in chairs in front of the group.
Date: 1984~
Creator: Doss, Keller
Partner: Matthews Family and Lambshead Ranch

[Stone Building Under Construction]

Description: Photograph of a stone building under construction. Stone blocks are scattered among the foreground in front of the partially built wall. A group of people stand near a doorway that is being propped up with lumber.
Date: 1983~
Partner: Matthews Family and Lambshead Ranch

[Stone Wall Under Construction]

Description: Photograph of a stone wall under construction. Stones are scattered in front of the wall near a indention that is being held up with lumber. Wooden poles protrude upward from the wall.
Date: 1983~
Partner: Matthews Family and Lambshead Ranch

[Laura Wilson, Richard Avedon, and Watt Matthews in the Cookshack]

Description: Photograph of (left to right) Laura Wilson, Richard Avedon, and Watt Reynolds Matthews sitting in the cookshack at Matthews Ranch headquarters. Wilson is holding a notepad, and she and Avedon appear to be listening to Matthews as he talks. Avedon is wearing a cowboy hat given to him by Matthews. In the background are two picnic tables with checkered table cloths.
Date: 1981~
Partner: Matthews Family and Lambshead Ranch