Rescuing Texas History, 2009 - 100 Matching Results

Search Results

Men Placing Boilers

Description: Photograph on postcard of men setting up boilers to put out an oil fire at the C.L. Perkins No. 5 oil well in Eastland County, Texas in 1919. Smoke from the fire can be seen over the workers.
Date: 1919
Partner: Permian Basin Petroleum Museum, Library and Hall of Fame

Beeville Post Office

Description: In 1857, Michael Seeligson was the first postmaster at Beeville-on the Medio (originally Medio Hill in Goliad County), five miles northeast of the present town of Beeville. In the new county seat after 1889, the Beeville Post Office was moved several times. Opened on June 5, 1918, the present neoclassical building was built under Secretary of the Treasury William G. McAdoo, with Supervising Architect James A. Wetmore. During construction, on May 7, 1917, contractor Robert B. Brown shot and killed Drayman J.P. Hermes. Found guilty of homicide in federal court, Brown appealed. In 1921, U.S. Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Homes ruled that Brown acted in self defense, thus establishing the right to stand one’s ground in federal law. With the WWII boom and Chase Naval Air Field, the Beeville Post Office was upgraded to a first-class post office in 1944. Other changes followed, such as the end of mail contracts for the railroads in December of 1952. In 1961, the size of the building was doubled by the matched addition of the north half of the present structure. Much needed parking space was provided on the south side of the building in 1989. One block from the courthouse, this historic building and its postal services continue to be vital to the life of the town.
Date: 1918
Partner: Bee County Historical Commission

[Photo-postcard to Watt Matthews]

Description: Postcard sent to Watt Matthews by photographer Richard Avedon and writer/photographer Laura Wilson. Image on the postcard is of Wilson and Avedon in a hay field. Wilson is lying on top of a bale of hay. To her left, Avedon is jumping with a cowboy hat in his hand. Message on the back reads: "Still on the road. Still grateful." Signed: "Laura and 'Old' Dick."
Date: 1981
Partner: Matthews Family and Lambshead Ranch

Interurban at Lake Erie

Description: Slide of a postcard featuring the Interurban train at Lake Erie in Fort Worth. The train has a banner on the side reading "Lake Erie To-night." Some people are on the train, and others are walking beside it. There are fields and trees in the background. The postcard is stamped April 18, 1908.
Date: unknown
Partner: Arlington Historical Society’s Fielder House Museum

T&P Depot

Description: Postcard of the T&P railroad station at 110 N. Center St. in Arlington. There is a building beside the tracks with some equipment in the area. Power lines are behind the station. Jack D. Caffey's address is on the back of the postcard.
Date: unknown
Partner: Arlington Historical Society’s Fielder House Museum

Downtown Arlington

Description: Postcard of a street in downtown Arlington in 1909. People are gathered in front of stores by the street. Some are in cars, including a Studebaker. J. H. Douglass Grocery store and Coulter and Sons Drug Store are pictured. The postcard is primarily black and white, but has some items spot colored red.
Date: 1909
Partner: Arlington Historical Society’s Fielder House Museum

Historic Downtown Arlington

Description: Postcard of Main Street in Arlington on Trades Day. There are people with cars, horses and wagons gathered in the street. Buildings stand on the left and right including a bank and the Corner Drug Store. There is a note from Belle to Mr. J. M. Anderson on the back.
Date: unknown
Partner: Arlington Historical Society’s Fielder House Museum

Masonic Home for the Aged, 1921

Description: Postcard of the Masonic Home for the Aged in Arlington in 1921. The front of the postcard features a photograph of the building and garden in front with the sky hand colored blue.
Date: 1921
Partner: Arlington Historical Society’s Fielder House Museum

Interurban Station

Description: Postcard of Interurban Station in Arlington around 1900. The Interurban Depot is on the left with people in front of it. A trolley is in the middle with people boarding it. Another building with "Capadura" advertised on the side is on the right.
Date: 1900~
Partner: Arlington Historical Society’s Fielder House Museum

Electric Light Ice Plant and Waterworks

Description: Postcard of the power plant, water works, and ice plant in Arlington around 1900. There are buildings and power lines along the street. A water tower stands in the middle. There are two horses pulling a wagon and another standing in the street.
Date: 1900~
Partner: Arlington Historical Society’s Fielder House Museum

Mineral Water

Description: Postcard of the mineral water well in downtown Arlington at around 1900. To the left and right of the well are businesses, including a bank, hardware store, and real estate business. There are power lines along the street. A water tower stands behind the buildings on the left.
Date: 1900~
Partner: Arlington Historical Society’s Fielder House Museum

IBM Lakeside Pavilion

Description: A postcard of the IBM Lakeside pavilion at the 1968 World's Fair known as HemisFair '68, held from April to October 1968 in San Antonio, Texas. IBM had two pavilions at HemisFair and the Lakeside Pavilion featured an informative movie explaining the operation of modern computers. The picture shows people watching the movie inside the pavilion. The picture was included in the Souvenir book of HemisFair published in 1967.
Date: 1967
Partner: UT San Antonio Libraries Special Collections

Pearl Pavilion at HemisFair '68

Description: A postcard of a three-dimensional model of the pavilion of the Pearl Brewing Company with its indoor and outdoor dining facility including refreshment and entertainment areas. In the picture some people are shown canoeing in front of the building.
Date: 1967?
Partner: UT San Antonio Libraries Special Collections

Theatre and Rivercourt

Description: Photo on a postcard of the Theatre of the Performing Arts, which was used to house special HemisFair '68 attractions. The building is fronted with a mural by Juan O'Gorman. In the foreground of the photo is the River Court, where visitors arrived at the fair on colorful boats. The Tower of the Americas is in the background.
Date: 1968?
Partner: UT San Antonio Libraries Special Collections

U.S. Exhibit Pavilion

Description: Postcard of the U.S. Exhibit Pavilion, one of two buildings that comprised the United States exhibit at HemisFair '68. The Exhibit Pavilion's theme was "Confluence, U.S.A."
Date: 1967?
Partner: UT San Antonio Libraries Special Collections

Mini-monorail

Description: "Mini-Monorail is one of the chief transportation means on the HemisFair '68 site. It is quick, colorful and provides a breathtaking view of the exposition's entire 92 acres. Here it passes by the Plaza of Flags representing the twenty-six ethnic groups which have contributed to the greatness of the Americas."
Date: 1967
Partner: UT San Antonio Libraries Special Collections

El Encanto de un Pueblo

Description: Exhibit hall with brightly colored exterior walls, one red with a geometric sun, one orange and one blue with a light blue crescent moon with a face. This is where the Alexander Girard Foundation collection of folk art, with over 10,000 pieces of Latin American folk art was exhibited. The mini-monorail can be seen just at the right edge.
Date: 1967
Partner: UT San Antonio Libraries Special Collections

Calypso

Description: "Calypso, one of nearly 20 fantastic rides that dot the landscape of Fiesta Island and the areas about the Tower of the Americas. Many of these are imported; many to be shown here for the first time."
Date: 1967
Partner: UT San Antonio Libraries Special Collections

Carlos Merida mural

Description: "Abstract, impelling symbolism of Carlos Merida mural in San Antonio Convention Center captures the spirit of the HemisFair '68 theme: Confluence of Civilizations in the Americas."
Date: 1967
Partner: UT San Antonio Libraries Special Collections

Las Plazas del Mundo at HemisFair '68

Description: Postcard of an architect's model of Las Plazas del Mundo (Plazas of the World) HemisFair’s international area, where foreign governments had exhibits. More than 20 countries participated in HemisFair '68.
Date: 1967
Partner: UT San Antonio Libraries Special Collections

Howdy You-All From Us All

Description: Postcard from the 1968 World's Fair known as HemisFair '68, held from April to October 1968 in San Antonio, Texas.
Date: 1968
Partner: UT San Antonio Libraries Special Collections

If I had a penny for every time I've thought about you

Description: Postcard from the 1968 World's Fair known as HemisFair '68, held from April to October 1968 in San Antonio, Texas. The text "If I Had a Penny for Every Time I've Thought About You ..." appears against a black background.
Date: 1968
Partner: UT San Antonio Libraries Special Collections

Love and Kisses

Description: Postcard from the 1968 World's Fair known as HemisFair '68, held from April to October 1968 in San Antonio, Texas. The words "Love and" appear on the postcard but the images of 'kisses' in the form of lips, rather than the actual word appears below the text.
Date: 1968
Partner: UT San Antonio Libraries Special Collections

Bravo

Description: Postcard from the 1968 World's Fair known as HemisFair '68, held from April to October 1968 in San Antonio, Texas. The illustration on the card shows a mustachioed grinning character wearing a sombrero with the word "Bravo" above it.
Date: 1968
Partner: UT San Antonio Libraries Special Collections