Rescuing Texas History, 2009 - 100 Matching Results

Search Results

Burning Oil Well

Description: Photograph on postcard of the burning of the National Oil Well. Flames shoot high into the air, and smoke billows from the flames.
Date: unknown
Creator: The Texas Studio
Partner: Permian Basin Petroleum Museum, Library and Hall of Fame

Burning Oil Well

Description: Photograph on postcard of the C.L. Perkins No. 5 oil well on fire near Ranger, Texas in 1919. Fire and smoke reach high in the sky, towering over the nearby trees.
Date: 1919
Partner: Permian Basin Petroleum Museum, Library and Hall of Fame

A. C. Jones Home

Description: Postcard of the two-story Baroque architecture styled home of Mrs A. C. Jones located at 611 East Jones St. Philanthropist and supporter of local schools, Mrs. A.C. (Jane Field) Jones (1842-1918) built the house on this site after her husband Captain Jones’ death in 1906. Governors and other Texas leaders were welcomed here. Located on the hill where the college stands today, the first and much grander A.C. Jones home was sold to the John Flournoy and moved into town by mule and wagon. It stood facing Flournoy Park until it was razed in 1946.
Date: January 7, 1907
Partner: Bee County Historical Commission

Calypso

Description: "Calypso, one of nearly 20 fantastic rides that dot the landscape of Fiesta Island and the areas about the Tower of the Americas. Many of these are imported; many to be shown here for the first time."
Date: 1967
Partner: UT San Antonio Libraries Special Collections

Car in Front of House

Description: Photograph on postcard of a house in Eastland, Texas. The house, partially hidden behind trees in the yard, is the Wolf residence. There is an early model car with an old style license plate in the driveway.
Date: unknown
Partner: Permian Basin Petroleum Museum, Library and Hall of Fame

Carlos Merida mural

Description: "Abstract, impelling symbolism of Carlos Merida mural in San Antonio Convention Center captures the spirit of the HemisFair '68 theme: Confluence of Civilizations in the Americas."
Date: 1967
Partner: UT San Antonio Libraries Special Collections

Chase Field Swimming Pool

Description: Postcard of the "Swimming Pool, Chase Field, Beeville, Texas" as printed at the bottom of the card. On June 1, 1943, Chase Field was commissioned as a Naval Air Auxiliary Station to train naval aviators during World War II. The base was named for Lt. Cmdr. Nathan Brown Chase, who went down in the Pacific on a training flight in 1925. After the war, Chase Field was closed until 1953, when it was reopened during the Korean War to help with the over-crowding at NAS Corpus Christi. In July 1968, Chase Field was elevated in status to a full naval air station. With the end of the Cold War and the dissolution of the Soviet Union, the number of armed forces was greatly reduced and on July 1, 1991, Chase Field was put on the list for closure. VT-26 was decommissioned May 22, 1992, with VT-24 and VT-25 de-commissioned on September 18, 1992. Finally, on February 1, 1993, Chase Field was officially disestablished, bringing an end to fifty years of service in naval training.
Date: unknown
Partner: Bee County Historical Commission

Cleveland Street in Early Beeville

Description: Postcard of Cleveland Street in Beeville. The large church on the right side of the street is the First Methodist Church which was erected in 1904-1905.
Date: unknown
Partner: Bee County Historical Commission

Commercial Hotel in Skidmore 1912

Description: Postcard showing people sitting on the porch of the "Commercial Hotel" in Skidmore. The picture was taken on December 4, 1912. The names of the individuals sitting on the porch are on the back of the postcard going from left to right. The Commercial Hotel was destroyed by fire.
Date: unknown
Partner: Bee County Historical Commission

Courthouse and Town

Description: Photograph on postcard of Eastland, Texas. A few businesses anc a large building are visible. The large brick building on the right is the old Eastland County Courthouse (demolished in 1926).
Date: unknown
Partner: Permian Basin Petroleum Museum, Library and Hall of Fame

Derrick in Breckenridge

Description: Photograph on postcard of a wooden oil derrick set up in the town of Breckenridge, Texas. Cars and people cover the towns streets around the derrick.
Date: unknown
Creator: The Texas Studio
Partner: Permian Basin Petroleum Museum, Library and Hall of Fame

Derricks from Train Roof

Description: Photograph on postcard of several oil derricks from the roof of a train. The hand brakes and walkway for the brakeman are visible.
Date: unknown
Partner: Permian Basin Petroleum Museum, Library and Hall of Fame

Derricks in Breckenridge

Description: Photograph on postcard of the town of Breckenridge, Texas. Oil derricks rise above the buildings all over the town.
Date: unknown
Partner: Permian Basin Petroleum Museum, Library and Hall of Fame

Derricks in Desdemona

Description: Photograph on postcard of Desdemona, Texas. Oil derricks tower over the other buildings, seemingly hundreds visible stretching back to the horizon.
Date: unknown
Partner: Permian Basin Petroleum Museum, Library and Hall of Fame

Derricks over Desdemona

Description: Photograph on postcard of Desdemona, Texas from the south side. Oil derricks tower over the other buildings, hundreds visible stretching back to the horizon.
Date: unknown
Partner: Permian Basin Petroleum Museum, Library and Hall of Fame

Downtown Arlington

Description: Postcard of a street in downtown Arlington in 1909. People are gathered in front of stores by the street. Some are in cars, including a Studebaker. J. H. Douglass Grocery store and Coulter and Sons Drug Store are pictured. The postcard is primarily black and white, but has some items spot colored red.
Date: 1909
Partner: Arlington Historical Society’s Fielder House Museum

Downtown Beeville in 1917

Description: Postcard of Washington Street in Beeville in 1917. The person who sent it mentioned going on an "auto ride".
Date: unknown
Partner: Bee County Historical Commission

Drilling Rig

Description: Photograph on postcard of a Gulf Oil Company drilling rig surrounded by trees.
Date: unknown
Partner: Permian Basin Petroleum Museum, Library and Hall of Fame

Drilling Rig

Description: Photograph on postcard of a Gulf Oil Company drilling rig (wooden derrick) surrounded by trees.
Date: unknown
Partner: Permian Basin Petroleum Museum, Library and Hall of Fame

Electric Light Ice Plant and Waterworks

Description: Postcard of the power plant, water works, and ice plant in Arlington around 1900. There are buildings and power lines along the street. A water tower stands in the middle. There are two horses pulling a wagon and another standing in the street.
Date: 1900~
Partner: Arlington Historical Society’s Fielder House Museum

El Encanto de un Pueblo

Description: Exhibit hall with brightly colored exterior walls, one red with a geometric sun, one orange and one blue with a light blue crescent moon with a face. This is where the Alexander Girard Foundation collection of folk art, with over 10,000 pieces of Latin American folk art was exhibited. The mini-monorail can be seen just at the right edge.
Date: 1967
Partner: UT San Antonio Libraries Special Collections

Espectacular Magnifica Gradiosa Maravillosa Estupendo Colosal

Description: Postcard from the 1968 World's Fair known as HemisFair '68, held from April to October 1968 in San Antonio, Texas. The image on the card shows the head of a mustachioed man wearing a tall sombrero that covers his eyes and a scarf. The text "Espectacular Magnifica Gradiosa Maravillosa Estupendo Colosal" appears above the image.
Date: 1968
Partner: UT San Antonio Libraries Special Collections

Even an old grouch like you would like HemisFair '68

Description: A comical folding postcard with a grinch-like frowning face printed on the front with the words "Even an old grouch like you". The message continues on the other side "...would like HemisFair '68". The side of the card for writing addresses includes a picture of the Tower of the Americas with an idealized view of downtown San Antonio. with "HEMISFAIR' 68" at the bottom of the card. A HemisFair'68 held from April to October.
Date: 1968~
Partner: UT San Antonio Libraries Special Collections

First Methodist Church Beeville

Description: Postcard of First Methodist Church of Beeville, Texas. In 1861, three years after Bee County was organized, the Rev. Berry Merchant of Corpus Christi assisted Beeville Methodist in establishing the Methodist-Episcopal Church. Circuit-riding preachers served the congregation and held services in the courthouse until the early 1870’s, when they built their first church on the corner of Bowie and Monroe Streets. Relocated to 106 East Cleveland in 1904, and blessed with a new sanctuary in 1955, the church continues its role in the religious life of the community.
Date: unknown
Partner: Bee County Historical Commission