Rescuing Texas History, 2010 - 58 Matching Results

Search Results

[Ark and Bimah, main sanctuary at Beth-El Congregation]

Description: Photograph, taken in 2000, of the "bimah" or altar in the main sanctuary at Beth-El Congregation, 207 W. Broadway, Fort Worth. The building was constructed in 1920, rebuilt in 1948 after a fire gutted the interior, and remodeled in 1981. The 1948 rebuilding and redesign were by the Hungarian-American interior designer Erno Fabry. His design ideas include the stone wall behind the altar, built with reddish Colorado travertine, the ark (which contained the Torahs) framed with gray-veined cremo-Italian marble, as well as the gate with its Art Deco design, and the copper-colored menorahs flanking the ark. In 1981, architect-designer John Mike Cohen of St. Louis oversaw a major remodeling of the sanctuary with peach carpet, chairs, and fiberglass lights resembling a flock of dove.
Date: 2000
Creator: Lauer, Ralph
Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives

[Beth-El Congregation's Second Synagogue]

Description: Photograph of the entrance to the synagogue at 207 W. Broadway Ave. that served Beth-El Congregation from 1920 to 2000. The building has two stories plus a basement with a social hall and kitchen. It is constructed of red brick and limestone. In the photo, the facade has a frieze above the entry with a quote from Psalms ("Give Ear, O Lord, Unto My Prayer") as well as two limestone menorahs above the quotation. The stained-glass windows on the front and side of the building are protected by storm windows. This image shows the front of the building shortly before the congregation moved to a new location across town. Several of the decorative features, particularly the frieze and limestone arches, are stained with black marks from 80 years of air pollution. When the congregation moved in August of 2000, the frieze, menorahs, and a Ten-Commandment carving were removed from the facade and replaced with red brick.
Date: 2000
Creator: Lauer, Ralph
Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives

[Candidates for Sheriff]

Description: Photograph of candidates for sheriff at a political forum held at St. Philip's College MLK campus under the arches. Three candidates are seated at a table. The Campus Center building is visible behind them. A microphone is visible in the foreground.
Date: 2005
Partner: St. Philips College

[Culinary Arts Students]

Description: Photograph of Culinary Arts students working in a kitchen. One student appears to be movinga table with warming trays. Another student is partially visible behind him. Two other students are visible, one in the right of the photograph and another in the background. Tables, plates and tools hanging on the wall are visible in the background. All four students are wearing chef uniforms.
Date: 2003
Partner: St. Philips College

[Dr. Boykin's House]

Description: Photograph of the exterior of the two-story house of Dr. Boykin in Wilson County, Texas. There is a wrap-around porch on both floors to the left.
Date: October 12, 2009
Creator: Grammer, Shirley
Partner: Wilson County Historical Society

[Four Men by Fence]

Description: Photograph of four men, identified as Gene Maeckel, John Grammer, Allen Kosub, and Bobby Hastings, standing at the site of the 40-Mile Hole in Wilson County, Texas. A wire fence is visible to the left.
Date: February 27, 2009
Partner: Wilson County Historical Society

[Historians at Alvin Kuykendal Ranch]

Description: Photograph of several historians standing on a dirt road at the Alvin Kuykendal Ranch in Wilson County, Texas. Those in the back are, from left to right, John Grammer, Regina Kosub, and Maurine Liles, and those in the front are Allen Kosub, Gene Maeckel, and Alvin Kuykendal.
Date: 2009
Creator: Grammer, Shirley
Partner: Wilson County Historical Society

[Interior of Beth-El Congregation Sanctuary]

Description: Photograph of the interior of the second house of worship for Fort Worth's Reform Jewish congregation after being remodeled in 1981. This image was taken with the main lights turned off to show the sanctuary's 72 Castelli fiberglass lights, which evoke the imagery of a flock of doves. The stained glass in the background dates to the 1948 remodeling.
Date: 2000
Creator: Lauer, Ralph
Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives

[Man on Ranch]

Description: Photograph of Johnnie Zaiontz walking past a house surrounded by trees on the Tom Callaway Ranch in La Vernia, Texas.
Date: April 5, 2005
Creator: Grammer, Shirley
Partner: Wilson County Historical Society