Rescuing Texas History, 2010 - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Ark and Bimah, main sanctuary at Beth-El Congregation]

Description: Photograph, taken in 2000, of the "bimah" or altar in the main sanctuary at Beth-El Congregation, 207 W. Broadway, Fort Worth. The building was constructed in 1920, rebuilt in 1948 after a fire gutted the interior, and remodeled in 1981. The 1948 rebuilding and redesign were by the Hungarian-American interior designer Erno Fabry. His design ideas include the stone wall behind the altar, built with reddish Colorado travertine, the ark (which contained the Torahs) framed with gray-veined cremo-Italian marble, as well as the gate with its Art Deco design, and the copper-colored menorahs flanking the ark. In 1981, architect-designer John Mike Cohen of St. Louis oversaw a major remodeling of the sanctuary with peach carpet, chairs, and fiberglass lights resembling a flock of dove.
Date: 2000
Creator: Lauer, Ralph
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives

[Beth-El Congregation Building Committee]

Description: Photograph of Beth-El's Building Committee. Four of the committee members are seated around a wooden table, the other four members are standing behind them. Handwritten notes on the back of the photograph say "Briarhaven Planning Committee" "from Len S. Construction book" and list the persons in the photo from left to right. Front row: Lynny Sankary, [Committee Chairman] Irwin Krauss, Judith Cohen, Billy Rosenthal Back row: Ken Baum, Rabbi Ralph Mecklenburger, Dr. Ira Hollander, Shelden Anisman.
Date: 1999
Creator: Schweitzer, Leonard
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives

[Beth-El Congregation Building Committee Discussing Plans]

Description: Photograph of Beth-El's Building Committee. The committee members are standing around a wooden table looking at the building plans. Handwritten notes on the back of the photograph say "Briarhaven Planning Committee" "from Len S. Construction book" and list the persons in the photo from left to right. Clockwise from left: David Stanford (architect), [Committee Chairman] Irwin Krauss, Ken Baum, Lynny Sankary, Sheldon Anisman, Jane Manning & Bob Wagnon (designers), Rabbi Ralph Mecklenburger, Judith Cohen.
Date: 1999
Creator: Schweitzer, Leonard
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives

[Beth-El Congregation's First Synagogue]

Description: Photograph of Temple Beth-El, the first house of worship for Beth-El, Fort Worth's Reform Jewish congregation. It was a two-story, neo-classical synagogue constructed of wood and stucco. Above the columned entrance was a wooden Star of David, beneath which were the Hebrew words "Y'he Or," meaning "Let There Be Light." Handwritten notes on the back of the photograph say, "Beth-El Congregation's 1st synagogue; built 1908 @ 5th & Taylor Streets. Photo from The Jewish Monitor, 1915. Greek Revival Style, The Hebrew Lettering says: 'Let there be light.'"
Date: 1915
Creator: The Jewish Monitor
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives

[Beth-El Congregation's Second Synagogue]

Description: Photograph of the entrance to the synagogue at 207 W. Broadway Ave. that served Beth-El Congregation from 1920 to 2000. The building has two stories plus a basement with a social hall and kitchen. It is constructed of red brick and limestone. In the photo, the facade has a frieze above the entry with a quote from Psalms ("Give Ear, O Lord, Unto My Prayer") as well as two limestone menorahs above the quotation. The stained-glass windows on the front and side of the building are protected by storm windows. This image shows the front of the building shortly before the congregation moved to a new location across town. Several of the decorative features, particularly the frieze and limestone arches, are stained with black marks from 80 years of air pollution. When the congregation moved in August of 2000, the frieze, menorahs, and a Ten-Commandment carving were removed from the facade and replaced with red brick.
Date: 2000
Creator: Lauer, Ralph
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives

[Beth-El Congregation's Second Synagogue]

Description: Photograph of the front entrance of the second house of worship for Beth-El Congregation, Fort Worth's Reform Jewish congregation. The two-story building at 207 W. Broadway Ave., was constructed with red brick and limestone accents. The temple's facade has a frieze above the entry with a quote from Psalms ("Give Ear, O Lord, Unto My Prayer") as well as two menorahs above the entrance. There are many stained-glass windows on the front and side of the building, protected by storm windows. At the far right of the photograph, Broadway Baptist Church is visible behind the synagogue. There is also a car in the bottom right corner, and a lamppost with the street names "Galveston" and "W. Broadway" in the foreground.
Date: 1970
Creator: Stenzler, Marty
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives

[Beth-El Congregation's Second Synagogue]

Description: Photograph of the second synagogue of Beth-El Congregation, Fort Worth's Reform Jewish house of worship. The photo appears to have been taken in 1948 after the temple was refurbished due to a 1946 fire that gutted the interior. The red-brick building, at 207 W. Broadway Ave., has two-stories plus a basement with a social hall and kitchen. The building's facade has a frieze above the entry with a quote from Psalms ("Give Ear, O Lord, Unto My Prayer") as well as two menorahs above the frieze. There are also stained-glass windows around the entrance and along the length of the building. A handwritten note on the back of the photo says, "Exterior 2nd Temple. 207 W. Broadway."
Date: 1948
Creator: J. Allison
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives

[Floating Star, Interior of Beth-El Congregation Sanctuary]

Description: Photograph of the floating star which was suspended from the ceiling as part of the interior design of the sanctuary when Beth-El was rebuilt in 1948 after the 1946 fire. The interior designer was the Hungarian-American architect Erno Fabry.
Date: 1948
Creator: Joe Weisberg
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives

[Interior of Beth-El Congregation Sanctuary]

Description: Photograph of the interior of the second house of worship for Fort Worth's Reform Jewish congregation after being remodeled in 1981. This image was taken with the main lights turned off to show the sanctuary's 72 Castelli fiberglass lights, which evoke the imagery of a flock of doves. The stained glass in the background dates to the 1948 remodeling.
Date: 2000
Creator: Lauer, Ralph
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives

[Photograph of Isidore Carb]

Description: Portrait of Isidore Carb (1852-1915) wearing a dark-colored suit, visible from the waist up. Carb, a cotton broker and real estate appraiser, was a Mississippi native who came to Fort Worth in 1882. He was one of the founding members of the Beth-El Congregation in 1902. The photograph is on a light-colored paper and attached to a dark mat board.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives

[Photograph of the Beth-El Synagogue]

Description: Photograph of the east side of Beth-El Congregation's third synagogue located at 4900 Briarhaven Rd. in Fort Worth, Texas. This image was taken shortly after the congregation moved to this location in 2000 and it shows one side of the exterior including large windows near the roof. The building was designed by Fort Worth Architect David Stanford. It was constructed by DeMoss Co.
Date: 2000
Creator: Wilson, Ray
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives

[Photograph of the Exterior Corner Detail of Beth-El Temple]

Description: Photograph is a detail of the exterior corner of Beth-El Congregation's third synagogue located at 4900 Briarhaven Rd., Fort Worth. The photo, taken shortly after the building was completed in 2000, includes close-up details of the light-colored limestone bricks and the underside of the roof with its original copper color.
Date: 2000
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives

[Photograph of the Exterior of Beth-El Temple]

Description: Photograph of the southwest corner exterior of Beth-El Congregation's third synagogue. The photo, taken shortly after the building was completed in 2000, shows the roof's copper color. There are also a few cars in the parking lot, and the lawn work is in progress. The building was designed by Fort Worth architect David Stanford. The contractor was the DeMoss Co.
Date: 2000
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives

[Photograph of the Interior of Beth-El Temple]

Description: Photograph of the interior of Beth-El Congregation's third synagogue in Fort Worth, Texas. There are multiple clear windows behind the altar and stained glass windows above the altar. The "eternal light" called a "ne'r tamid," in the shape of a bronze torch, is mounted on the wall over the ark.
Date: [2001]
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives

[Photograph of the Torah March]

Description: Photograph of the Torah March, August 8, 2000, during which members of Beth-El Congregation carry Torah scrolls from the old synagogue to the new. The march was organized to transport the congregation's six handwritten Torah scrolls 7.5 miles from the old synagogue at 207 W. Broadway Avenue to the temple's new building at 4900 Briarhaven Road. In this image, those at the front of the march include several teenagers in the temple youth group. The Torahs, usually covered with velvet mantles, are protected with white terry-cloth covers decorated with a blue Jewish star. Also at the front of the procession are members of the color guard from Jewish War Veterans Martin Hochster Post #755. Some of the other 300 congregants who participated are visible in the background.
Date: August 13, 2000
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives

[Photograph of the Torah March]

Description: Photograph of teenagers from the Fort Worth Federation of Temple Youth carrying the Torahs during the Torah march. The Torah march was organized to carry the six handwritten Torah scrolls 7.5 miles from the old synagogue at 207 W. Broadway Avenue to the new Temple Beth-El location at 4900 Briarhaven Road. In this image, five teenagers carry the Torahs (covered by white terry-cloth covers decorated with a blue Jewish star) in a line. From left to right, they are: Adam Hollander, Corey Pew, Tommy Campbell, Micah Horton, and Sarah Rausch. An unidentified young girl is visible in the foreground and parked cars are visible in the background. Handwritten text on the back of the photo says, "Beth-El Archives, Torah March, Aug. 13, 2000, FWFTY carriers of Torahs."
Date: August 13, 2000
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives

[Photograph of the Torah March]

Description: Photograph of Rozanne and Billy Rosenthal holding two of the Torahs (covered by white terry-cloth covers decorated with a blue Jewish star) at the Torah march, August 13, 2000. The Torah march was organized to carry the six handwritten Torah scrolls 7.5 miles from the old synagogue at 207 W. Broadway Avenue to the new Temple Beth-El located at 4900 Briarhaven Road. In this image, the Rosenthals are posing with the Torahs outside of a building; they are both wearing baseball caps with the words "Torah Toter" written across the front. Some of the other 300 congregants who participated are visible in the background.
Date: August 13, 2000
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives

[Photograph of the Torah March]

Description: Photograph of congregation members from Temple Beth-El in Fort Worth, Texas during the Torah March including a color guard from Jewish War Veterans Martin Hochster Post #755 who led the final stretch. The Torah march was organized to carry the six handwritten Torah scrolls 7.5 miles from the old synagogue at 207 W Broadway Avenue to the new Temple Beth-El at 4900 Briarhaven Road. In this photograph, the color guard includes (from left to right) Ted Hoffman carrying the American flag, George Seff with the Lone Star flag, Gary Baum carrying the post banner, and Zac Shlachter, a teen in the congregation's youth group.
Date: August 13, 2000
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives

[Photograph of the Torah March]

Description: Photograph of congregation members from Temple Beth-El in Fort Worth, Texas during the Torah march. The Torah march was organized to carry the six handwritten Torah scrolls 7.5 miles from the synagogue at 207 W. Broadway Avenue to the new Temple Beth-El location at 4900 Briarhaven Road. In this image, a group of people are in Forest Park during part of the march. The three people in the foreground are Sandra free (chair of the event), Steven Ginsberg holding a Torah (covered by terry-cloth covers that are white with a blue Jewish star), and Jeanne Ginsberg. Some of the other 300 congregants who participated are visible in the background.
Date: August 13, 2000
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives

[Portrait of Simon Gabert]

Description: Photocopy of a portrait of Simon Gabert (1836-1911), visible from the chest up. He is dressed in a Knights of Pythias Uniform including a jacket and hat. Gabert was a German immigrant who worked as a cotton broker. He came to Fort Worth, Texas in 1856 and returned after fighting for the Union during the Civil War; he was among the founders of Beth-El Congregation.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives

[Stained Glass Window Pane of a Breastplate]

Description: Photograph of a stained-glass window pane depicting a breastplate with twelve squares of color, representing the vestments worn by the Levites, the priestly tribe. Each of the twelve squares, colored like a precious gem, stands for one of the 12 Tribes of Israel. It is one of more than two dozen circular stained-glass discs created in 1947 for the sanctuary of Fort Worth's Temple Beth-El; most of the images were copied from a book on Jewish treasures to represent a collection of Judaica in miniature. This pane was transferred to a window in the Hall of Remembrance when Beth-El Congregation moved to 4900 Briarhaven Rd. in the summer of 2000.
Date: 1999
Creator: Lauer, Ralph
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives

[Stained Glass Window Pane of a Buck]

Description: Photograph of a stained-glass window pane depicting a deer or antelope that symbolizes the adventurous descendants of the Tribe of Naphtali. It is one of more than two dozen circular stained-glass discs created in 1947 for the sanctuary of Fort Worth's Temple Beth-El; most of the images were copied from a book on Jewish treasures to represent a collection of Judaica in miniature. This pane was transferred to a window in Beth-El's Hall of Remembrance when the congregation moved to 4900 Briarhaven Rd. in the summer of 2000.
Date: 1999
Creator: Lauer, Ralph
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives

[Stained Glass Window Pane of a Bull and a Unicorn]

Description: Photograph of a stained-glass window pane depicting two animals, a bull and a unicorn, to represent Joseph's two sons, Ephraim and Manasseh. The one-horned animal, representing the Tribe of Manasseh, roamed the wilderness in ancient Assyria and is extinct; the bull represents the Tribe of Ephraim including Ephraim and his descendants. It is one of more than two dozen circular stained-glass discs created in 1947 for the sanctuary of Fort Worth's Temple Beth-El; most of the images were copied from a book on Jewish treasures to represent a collection of Judaica in miniature.This pane was transferred to a window in Beth-El's Hall of Remembrance when the congregation moved to 4900 Briarhaven Rd. in the summer of 2000.
Date: 1999
Creator: Lauer, Ralph
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives

[Stained Glass Window Pane of a Candelabra]

Description: Photograph of a stained-glass window pane depicting a Krakow candelabra with three branches. It is one of more than two dozen circular stained-glass discs created in 1947 for the sanctuary of Fort Worth's Temple Beth-El; most of the images were copied from a book on Jewish treasures to represent a collection of Judaica in miniature. This image depicts the original candelabra created in Krakow, Poland, during the 18th century by a coppersmith. The metalwork includes a pair of frolicking deer in reference to the opening lines of Psalm 42: "As the deer pants after the water brooks, so my soul pants after thee, O God." When the congregation moved in 2000, this pane was removed and stored in the Temple Archives.
Date: 1999
Creator: Lauer, Ralph
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives