Rescuing Texas History, 2010 - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Aerial Photograph of South Pharr and San Juan]

Description: Photograph of a portion of south Pharr, Texas and San Juan, Texas along Military Highway taken as part of an agricultural survey. This aerial image includes the area roughly bordered by U.S. 281 (on the left; north and south bound lanes) and Stewart Road (on the right), and just north of the Rio Grande River. Various plots of land are labeled in red with coded numbers. Identified landmarks include: J.C. Kelly Sub., Stewart Addition to Conway Gardens, San Juan Plantation Sub., Santa Ana No. 3, and Peter Doffing Est.
Date: October 26, 1968
Creator: Aeroflex Corporation. Robinson Aerial Surveys Division.
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: McAllen Public Library

[Aerial Photograph of South Pharr and South San Juan]

Description: Photograph of south Pharr, Texas and San Juan, Texas taken as part of an agricultural survey. This aerial image includes the area roughly bordered by U.S. Highway 281 (on the left), Stewart Road (on the right), and south of Hall Acres Road (on the top). Various plots of land are labeled in red with coded numbers. Identified landmarks include: J.C. Kelly Sub., San Juan Hacienda Estates, and Closner Sub.
Date: October 26, 1968
Creator: Aeroflex Corporation. Robinson Aerial Surveys Division.
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: McAllen Public Library

[Aerial Photograph of Southeast McAllen and Pharr]

Description: Aerial photograph of southeast McAllen and Pharr, Texas taken as part of an agricultural survey. This image includes downtown Pharr bordered by 2nd Street (on the left) and "I" Road (on the right; not shown). Various plots of land are labeled in red with coded numbers. Identified landmarks include: downtown Pharr, McColl Sub., and Steele-Pershing Sub.
Date: November 4, 1968
Creator: Aeroflex Corporation. Robinson Aerial Surveys Division.
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: McAllen Public Library

[Aerial Photograph of Southeast McAllen and South Pharr]

Description: Photograph of southeast McAllen, Texas and south Pharr, Texas taken as part of an agricultural survey. This aerial image includes the area roughly bordered by McColl Road (on the left), U.S. Highway 281 (on the right), and north of Military Highway (on the bottom; not shown). Various plots of land are labeled in red with coded numbers. Identified landmarks include: Steele-Pershing Sub., J.C. Kelly Sub., and the levee canal.
Date: October 21, 1968
Creator: Aeroflex Corporation. Robinson Aerial Surveys Division.
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: McAllen Public Library

[Aerial Photograph of Southeast San Juan and South Alamo between San Juan and Alamo Roads]

Description: Photograph of a portion of southeast San Juan, Texas and south Alamo, Texas taken as part of an agricultural survey. This aerial image includes the area roughly bordered by San Juan (on the left) and Alamo Roads (on the right), and north of the levee. Various plots of land are labeled in red with coded numbers. Identified landmarks include: Alamo Land and Sugar Co., John Closner Sub., and San Juan Gardens Sub.
Date: October 26, 1968
Creator: Aeroflex Corporation. Robinson Aerial Surveys Division.
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: McAllen Public Library

[Aerial Photograph of Southwest Edinburg between 2nd Street and US 281]

Description: Photograph of southwest Edinburg, Texas taken as part of an agricultural survey. This aerial image includes the Edinburg Canal and the South Pacific Railroad roughly bordered by McColl Road (on the left), U.S. 281 (on the right), and Alberta Road (on the bottom). Various plots of land are labeled in red with coded numbers. Identified landmarks include: King's Lake and the Sale Barn.
Date: November 4, 1968
Creator: Aeroflex Corporation. Robinson Aerial Surveys Division.
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: McAllen Public Library

[Aerial Photograph of West Edinburg and Pan American College]

Description: Photograph of west Edinburg, Texas and Pan American College taken as part of an agricultural survey. This aerial image includes the area roughly bordered by Mon Mack Road (on the left), U.S. Highway 281 (on the right), and north of East Canton Road (on the bottom; not shown). Various plots of land are labeled in red with coded numbers. Identified landmarks include: Edinburg High School, court house, Echo Hotel, Pan American College.
Date: November 4, 1968
Creator: Aeroflex Corporation. Robinson Aerial Surveys Division.
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: McAllen Public Library

Aerial View of Downtown Richardson

Description: Photograph of an aerial view of downtown Richardson, Texas. Streets intersecting in the foreground are Main Street and Greenville Avenue. The City Hall complex can be seen in the bottom-right corner of the image. Other buildings and cars are visible.
Date: 195?/196?
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Richardson Public Library

[Aerial View of White Rock Lake]

Description: Aerial photograph of White Rock Lake. In the photograph, hundreds of cars are parked on a peninsula.
Date: unknown
Creator: Dallas (Tex.)
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Dallas Municipal Archives

[Aero Unit Van for the Dallas Fire Department]

Description: Photograph of an Aero Unit Van used by the Dallas Fire Department. It is parked in front of an open structure, and a firetruck is parked behind it.
Date: 1980~/1989~
Creator: Dallas (Tex.)
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Dallas Firefighters Museum

[Aerobics Class]

Description: Photograph of Virginia Myers teaching an aerobics class. She and seven students are shown in profile in a lunge position. There is a room-length mirror in the background.
Date: 1990
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: St. Philips College

[Ahavath Sholom Minutes]

Description: Handwritten list of the thirty one members of the Ahavath Sholom Congregation in 1895 in Fort Worth, Texas. The front of the document lists the members of the congregation, and the back of the document lists the officers. When the list was created, Ahavath Sholom was the only synagogue in Fort Worth.
Date: October 6, 1895
Creator: Levenson, Ben
Item Type: Text
Partner: Fort Worth Jewish Archives

[Ahavath Sholom Sunday School Students]

Description: Photograph of the Ahavath Sholom Congregation Sunday School students. They are standing on the front steps outside the synagogue in the 800 block of Taylor Street in Fort Worth, Texas. From left to right, top to bottom, the students in the photograph are: Row 1: Betty Carshon, Rachel Kruger, Dora Laves, Lena Rovinsky, Udys Weinstein, Lily Dworkin, Joe Ray Schwartzberg. Row 2: Charlie Anton, Milton Mehl, Arthur Rosenbaum, Charlotte Ray, Lily Levine, Molly Finger, Freda Hurwitz, Rae Carshon, Mary Bliss, Sylvia Shosid. Row 3: Alex Victor, William Hurwitz, Irving Kershman, Julius Scolnic, Mary Resnick, Sophia Blum, Mary Herman, Ida Berg, Beatrice Frankrich, Reva Nebrat, Gertrude Ellis, Raymond Dan. Row 4: Sidney Deutch, David Tuck, Rubin Anton, Norma Resnick, Lily Alpert, Rose Chicotsky, Hannah Chicotsky, Anna Gordon, Martha Daiches. Row 5: Nathan Frankel, Abe Goldstein, Abe Shosid, Paul Herman, Johanna Winer, Sadie Rovinsky, Sarah Garston, Irving Rosenthal. Row 6: Sidney Marks, Minnie Snofsky, Esther Klimist, Rebecca Lutsky, David Bernstein, Max Perlman, Sarah Kruger, Rosalie Bliss. Row 7: Morris Schwartz, Grace Dworkin, Lola Bozokofsky, Hyman Jacobson, Cecil Bozokofsky, Helen Kassover, Sonia Gulila, Sam Weisblatt, Florence Kassover, Patricia Jacobson.
Date: 1925
Creator: Jernigan Studios
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Fort Worth Jewish Archives

[Ahavath Sholom Synagogue]

Description: Congregation Ahavath Sholom's fourth synagogue, designed by architect Martin Growald, constructed by contractor Perry McCord and completed in December 1980. The $3.5 million synagogue was located on 12 acres at the corner of Hulen Street and Briarhaven Road. The photograph is taken at night time, and there are lights shining on the building's white stone facade. The words "Congregation Ahavath Sholom" and the congregation's logo are on the exterior of the building.
Date: 1980
Creator: Photo by David Luskey
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Fort Worth Jewish Archives

[Ahavath Sholom Synagogue]

Description: Photograph of the Ahavath Sholom Congregation's second synagogue, located in the 800 block Taylor Street, Fort Worth, Texas. The synagogue, constructed in 1906 at a cost of $15,000, was a two-story brick building with stained-glass windows, a sanctuary with a balcony for women, and basement classrooms. The Hebrew phrase above the door translates to: "1906 Ahavath Sholom." The congregation worshiped in this synagogue from 1906 to 1951. The building was torn down to create a parking lot.
Date: 1960~
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Fort Worth Jewish Archives

[Ahavath Sholom Synagogue]

Description: Photograph of the Ahavath Sholom Congregation's third synagogue, located at the intersection of Eighth Avenue and Myrtle Street in Fort Worth, Texas. The $400,000 building, designed by architect Charles O. Chromaster and built by Rambo Construction Co., was completed in the Fall of 1952.The congregation remained at that location until December 1980.
Date: September 1952
Creator: W. D. Smith Commercial Photography
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Fort Worth Jewish Archives

[Ahavath Sholom Synagogue Construction]

Description: Photograph of the Ahavath Sholom Congregation's fourth synagogue under construction. In the image, only the frame of the synagogue has gone up and there is a crane parked to the right of the building. Construction on the synagogue began in 1979 at the corner of Hulen Street and Briarhaven Road, in Fort Worth, Texas.
Date: 1979
Creator: Photo by David Luskey
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Fort Worth Jewish Archives

[Alamo Community College District Board of Trustees]

Description: Photograph of the Board of Trustees: W.W. McAllister, Jr., John T. Steen, Jesse N. Fletcher, G.S. McCreless, James M. Goodman, W.G. Conway and (missing) Manuel C. Gonzales. The six men are seated around a table with papers in front of them. They are all wearing a jacket and tie. Two men are wearing eyeglasses.
Date: 1970
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: St. Philips College

[Alamo Lumber Co.]

Description: Photograph of a building labeled "Alamo Lumber Co. Office" in Wilson County, Texas. A water tower is visible in the background.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Wilson County Historical Society

[Albert and Ada Morgan]

Description: Photograph of Albert Elonza Morgan and Ada Fisher Morgan of Longview, Texas. Mr. and Mrs. Morgan are pictured outside a house covered in ivy. They are buried at Grace Hill Cemetery in Longview.
Date: 1942~
Creator: The Fotoshop
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Longview Public Library

Alec Ormand

Description: Photograph of Mr Alec Ormand on the night of the Butler's dance. Mr. Ormand appears to be quite young. He is wearing a three piece suit, white shirt and tie and a watch fob. In his left hand, he holds a thin cane or walking stick. His a felt hat is hanging from a fence post to his left. His right fist rests on his hip with his elbow cocked. This appears to be a posed photograph by a professional photographer. At the bottom of the photo are the words "Barr B San Antonio Texas", which may be the photographer's logo. His hair is dark and slicked back and he looks quite dapper.
Date: 1892/12/01
Creator: Barr Photographs
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Wilson County Historical Society

Alledo School

Description: Photograph of children in front of school house. Pictured in photo are left to right: Top Row; Clara Kinsey, Verna Teague, Gussie Cox, Emma Kinsey 2nd Row; Unknown, Unknown, Unknown, Alfonso Grassel, Garvey Odom, Bryan Teague, Euclid Peavey 3rd Row: Edith Teague, Unknown, Bessie Cox, Etwell Peavy 4th Row; Arthur Smith, Unknown, Raymond Peavy, Vincent Grassell
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Wilson County Historical Society

Allen & Bazoon Garage

Description: Photograph of a local garage. There is a jeep parked under the drive-through part of the building. A pick up truck and several cars are parked on the side street. Note that the name of the establishment on the window is backwards... installer put it in backwards and was never corrected.
Date: 1960
Creator: Young, Moon
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Cleveland Historic Society

[Alley Near Dallas Farmer's Market ]

Description: Photograph of an alleyway. Crates are stacked against the back wall of a building. A car is parked behind them.
Date: July 23, 1958
Creator: Dallas (Tex.)
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Dallas Municipal Archives