Description: Photograph of a commemorative historical marker on a dirt plot of land that has been tilled. In the background, there appears to be a church, judging by the spire structure that sits on top of the roof, and the hollow space just beneath it that seems to hold a church bell. This structure is bordered by a small line of bushes. The text of the marker reads: "Danevang ('Danish Meadow') The first successful Danish community in Texas. Established in 1894 on a portion of 25,000 acres secured through option by Danish Folk Society from Texas Land and Cattle Company. Most immigrants came first to the northern United States, where other Danes had settled, and then to Texas, desiring to preserve their national culture, language, and religion. A Lutheran church was erected in 1895. Hardships included disease, insects, poorly drained land, and primitive transportation; but hard work, farming ability, and cooperation brought success. (1970)."
Item Type: Refine your search to only Photograph
Partner: Danish Heritage Preservation Society