Slide of a medium-sized plaque placed within a type of stone altar. Mounted on top is a black bell with a supporting structure holding it upright. Two pots flank either side, both of which have a register of decorative schema running along their width. "Elephant ear" plants have been placed inside them. The actual plaque has an inscription of text in golden relief. It reads: "This property has been placed on the National Register of Historical Places by the United States Department of the Interior."
Slide of a pointed stone slab placed in the middle of an unkempt field of grass, amidst red and yellow flowers. An aged wooden fence can be seen in the back, creating a boundary between the stone and a larger field in the background. The slab bears an inscription just beneath a small relief of a five-pointed slab within a wreath. It reads: "Black's Fort - Built as a defense against the Indians in 1855 by William Black - 1815 - - 1907 - on land owned by him. In the stockade, constructed of cedar logs, sentries were kept on guard on moonlight nights * Guns and ammunition for public use were kept here * Abandoned in 1868."
Slide of a large tree with a thick, inclined trunk pointed to the left. To the right, there appears to be a single-story structure with a metal roof and a small fence flanking its side. Accompanying information provides the name "Indian Marker Tree" for the slide, but no other information is supplied.
Slide of a partial spinal column within a lightly excavated mound of dirt. An upturned hand on the top left holds a slender metal utensil, as if about to touch the specimen. In the back right corner, slightly out of focus, an array of both fractured and whole bones can be seen. Some of these appear to have a head, similar to that of a femur or other bones found in limbs.
Slide of Mormon Mill Falls. Taken a short distance away from the edge of the water, the image captured the waterfalls depositing into a still body of water. In the back, the landscape rises into high hills with many small bushes and trees crowding the rocks.
Slide of a long, presumably two-story, structure known as Mount Horeb Lodge. An inclined, metal roofing sits atop the blue-tinted stone structure with multiple, sequential double-hung windows. On the far right, a garage-type entry can be seen, fully opened. A narrow, dirt path leads up to a door on the far left of the structure. The State Historical Survey Committee has placed its name on the signpost in the foreground, inscribed in small print around the circle surrounding an image of the state of Texas. The line of text that follows reads: "Mount Horeb Lodge - Chartered Jan. 21, 1854; met in log schoolhouse. Erected own lodge hall 1856 on land given by grand master Sam Mather and B. K. Stewart, first floor used as church and school. A fire in 1915 razed hall. Lodge rebuilt here 1916 on land given by G. T. and W. J. Williams. (1967)"
Slide of an outdoor scene identified as Cow Creek. A sloping mountainside is seen in the background, with multiple, lush trees scattered on its ground. A wide body of water leads up to it, interrupted in its downward stream by protruding mounds of sand and rocks. Small bushes flank each side.
Slide of a pool of water lying next to and below what appears to be a walking path of sorts, judging by the picket fence that lines the top of the hill. From a center spot near the fence, a small stream of water falls down into the water, disturbing it slightly. A large tree is to the right, a short distance away from the edge of the water.
Slide of a rock wall built on an unkempt grassy area. The wall has an uneven height, composed of rocks of varying colors and size, and appears to be quite long. It recedes into the background at a sharp angle and appears to meet a tree seen in the distance. Accompanying information assigns the name "Black's Fort" to the location, but there is no other significant information supplied.
Slide of the inside of a cavernous interior filled with stalactites and stalagmites in varying sizes. A spotlight illuminates a small pool of water and its surrounding area in the back. The light appears to be coming from a small corner on the far right.
Color slide of a stone slab on a grassy hill, a short distance away from a body of water. The slab is center right, and bears an inscription just below a high relief wreath enclosing a five-pointed star. The inscription reads: "Site of A settlement made in 1851 by 20 Mormon families under the leadership of Lyman Wight 1796-1858 * * Here they built homes, lumber mills, and shops for the manufacture of furniture * Abandoned in 1853" A smaller line of text below reads: "Erected by the State of Texas 1936" Accompanying information names the settlement Mormon Mill.
Slide of a signpost demarcating the site of Strickling, Texas. The post is on the far left, in front of a wire and wood fence that has been placed among tall, unkempt grasses. Small yellow inflections of color from the foliage can be seen behind it, with trees of varying heights in the very back. On the actual signpost, a line of text follows an emblem of the state of Texas, and it reads: "Site of town of Strickling -- Once a busy rural community. Named for Mrs. Martha (Webster) Strickling, who settled here in 1853 with husband Marmaduke. As child, she survived killing of some 30 settlers in infamous Webster massacre near Leander, and months of indian captivity. Post office opened here, 1857. And Strickling became a mail terminal and stage stop. Tons of lumber and buffalo hides were hauled through here. The town had a school, churches, a doctor's office, and stores. Strickling gradually declined when bypassed by the railroad, 1882. Only the cemetery remains. (1970)"
Slide of a large expanse of terrain. A tall sloping hill is visible in the background across the width of the photograph. Several lines of trees in succession can also be seen running the width of the image, with large gaps formed by the areas which they do not occupy. In the very distance, on the left, there appears to be a single-story structure. Its gabled and light-colored roof can be seen, as well as a chimney and perhaps a patio, nestled among a group of leafy trees.
Slide of a sloping hillside known as Hickory Pass. From the vantage point of the photograph, several thick clusters of bushes can be seen dispersed all along the terrain. In the distance, a narrow winding road recedes into the distance.
Slide of small, single-story structure constructed out of horizontal wooden posts. The gable roof is missing its pediment, revealing a dark interior. On both sides, it is flanked by a short rock wall, with tall, unkempt grasses crowding it. Additionally, there appears to be a kind of outdoor chimney on the left side of the house, behind the wall. Near the foreground, a few species of flowers can be seen, as well as a wire fence. Accompanying information assigns the name "Black's Fort" to the location.