Description: Color slide of a stone slab on a grassy hill, a short distance away from a body of water. The slab is center right, and bears an inscription just below a high relief wreath enclosing a five-pointed star. The inscription reads: "Site of A settlement made in 1851 by 20 Mormon families under the leadership of Lyman Wight 1796-1858 * * Here they built homes, lumber mills, and shops for the manufacture of furniture * Abandoned in 1853" A smaller line of text below reads: "Erected by the State of Texas 1936" Accompanying information names the settlement Mormon Mill.
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Burnet County Historical Commission