Description: Photograph of the marker for Fort Johnson in Pottsboro, Texas. Text: Established by William G. Cooke in 1840 as a part of the defense of the military road from Red River to Austin, named in honor of Colonel Francis W. Johnson (1799-1888), commander of the Texas army at the capture of San Antonio, December 10, 1835. Place of rendezvous for the Snivley Expedition which set out April 25, 1843. The settlement in the vicinity was known as Georgetown.
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West