Texas History Collection - 24 Matching Results

Search Results

[Antlers Hotel in Diboll, Texas]

Description: Postcard of Antlers Hotel in Diboll, Texas. Looking through gates with "Antlers" on them, of the interior of the The Antlers' Coffee Shop at the The Antlers Hotel in Diboll, Texas. A fireplace can be seen in the center of the postcard. The hotel was open from 1939 until 1954 and owned by Southern Pine Lumber Company. It was designed by John Poindexter Cammack. At one time it was also known as "The Inn." On the front of the postcard is printed the following: "The Antlers--Largest Log Hotel in the South-Diboll, Texas" and "The Antlers Coffee Shop and Its Huge, Friendly Fireplace." On the back of the postcard is printed a road map from Texas towns and cities to Diboll and the following: "The Antlers--Largest Log Hotel in the South, 'Old as Yesterday--Modern as Today', Coffee Shop in Connection, Guest Rooms Strictly Modern." Please see The History Center in Diboll, Texas, for more information on the Antlers Hotel.
Date: [1939..1954]
Partner: Tyrrell Historical Library

Dedication Program, Mrs. Roosevelt Giving the Introduction.

Description: Photograph of the dedication program of the Little Chapel in the Woods, on the Texas State Women's College campus in Denton, Texas. The photograph shows First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt giving the introduction at the front entrance to the chapel.
Date: November 2, 1939
Creator: United States. National Youth Administration.
Location Info:
Partner: Alexander Architectural Archive, University of Texas at Austin

Denton T.S.C.W. Chapel.

Description: Photograph of the construction of the Little Chapel in the Woods, on the Texas State Women's College campus in Denton, Texas.
Date: April 10, 1939
Creator: United States. National Youth Administration.
Location Info:
Partner: Alexander Architectural Archive, University of Texas at Austin

Front and East Perspective. T.S.C.W. Chapel.

Description: Photograph of the front entrance and east side of the Little Chapel in the Woods, on the Texas State Women's College campus in Denton, Texas. It is an stone building and has a round, stained-glass window above the entrance.
Date: December 18, 1939
Creator: United States. National Youth Administration.
Location Info:
Partner: Alexander Architectural Archive, University of Texas at Austin

History of Armstrong County, Volume 1

Description: The Armstrong County Histories are a compilation of biographical stories about the Armstrong County pioneers prior to 1900. According to the foreward: "Information supplied by members of these families make stories rich in romance, tragedy and humor, revealing the sturdy character of those who built our county. The book is made up of these family histories supplemented by ranch and community histories, articles of civic interest, church and cemetery stories, 'tall tales' by old timers."
Date: 1939
Creator: The Woman's Development Club
Partner: Armstrong County Museum

History of Armstrong County, Volume 2

Description: The Armstrong County Histories are a compilation of biographical stories about the Armstrong County pioneers prior to 1900. According to the foreward in Volume I: "Information supplied by members of these families make stories rich in romance, tragedy and humor, revealing the sturdy character of those who built our county. The book is made up of these family histories supplemented by ranch and community histories, articles of civic interest, church and cemetery stories, 'tall tales' by old timers."
Date: 1939
Creator: The Woman's Development Club
Partner: Armstrong County Museum

[The Kilgore Home]

Description: Photograph of the Kilgore home, a two-story house with a large, enclosed front porch. A long line of manicured bushes borders the property. According to accompanying information, the house is on Kansas and 4th Street in League City. It was the house where Theodore Kilgore and his wife Zonnie died, in 1955 and 1959, respectively. The house was then sold in 1959.
Date: August 1939
Partner: League City Helen Hall Library

[Man Fishing at Clear Creek]

Description: Photograph of Chester Knight, father of Zonnie Knight Kilgore, fishing in a row boat on the banks of Clear Creek in League City. The bridge in the background is Clear Creek Bridge; it was once the connection between Galveston County to Harris County. It was demolished upon construction of Highway 3.
Date: August 1939
Partner: League City Helen Hall Library

[Man in a Watermelon Patch]

Description: Photograph of Theodore Kilgore standing in a watermelon patch on land belonging to Frank Outlaw. According to accompanying information, Theodore hired a man named Pat Felts to plant 10 acres of watermelons on Frank Outlaw's property. The land is now the location of the Countryside South neighborhood.
Date: August 1939
Partner: League City Helen Hall Library

[Photograph of Shroder Livery Stable]

Description: Photograph of the Schroder livery stable, a stone barn and a lot filled with debris to the left of it, taken from a 3/4 angle. In front of the barn is part of a fence, a large tire, and a metal receptacle. Behind the lot are more buildings and a windmill. Trees surround the buildings on the rear and right sides. A decorative border surrounds the photo, and on the back, there are notes about the stable and the printer of the photograph.
Date: 1939~
Creator: Fox Company
Partner: Patrick Heath Public Library

Routh Family Reunion, Routh Home, Plano, Texas

Description: Family group, informal portrait. 5 informal rows, some faces partially hidden. 52 faces visible, some partially. One torso, far right. Children seated in front. 2 women, center, appear to be wearing dark hats or bonnets with large black ribbons. 1 man, seated, holding hat, wears eye patch on right eye. Written on back: on back: about 1938 - Routh family reunion, Routh Home - Plano. BACK ROW: Vivian S Barron, Madge Carver Barron, Cecil Thornton Barron, Stanley J Jr Mendenhall, Stanley J Mendenhall, Stanton J Barron, Haskel Roach, Jake Barron or Jimmy Rogers, Jake Barron or Jimmy Rogers, UNK, UNK, UNK, Robert Webb, Roy Patton Howell, UNK, UNK SECOND ROW: John M Campbell, UNK, UNK, Pauline Mendenhall, Bertha Mendenhall, UNK, UNK, UNK, Rosa Routh, Clara Routh, Virginia Roach, Mildred C Rogers, Julia Mendenhall, Florence Rogers, UNK, UNK, UNK, UNK BOTTOM ROW: UNK, Mary Ann Coit, UNK, Louise Rogers, all others unidentified
Date: 1939~
Partner: Richardson Public Library

T. S. C. W. Chapel. Front and East Perspective.

Description: Photograph of the front entrance and east side of the Little Chapel in the Woods, on the Texas State Women's College campus in Denton, Texas. It is an early modern stone building and has a round, stained-glass window above the entrance.
Date: December 18, 1939
Creator: United States. National Youth Administration.
Location Info:
Partner: Alexander Architectural Archive, University of Texas at Austin

TSCW Chapel.

Description: Photograph of the construction of the Little Chapel in the Woods, on the Texas State Women's College campus in Denton, Texas.
Date: 1939~
Creator: United States. National Youth Administration.
Location Info:
Partner: Alexander Architectural Archive, University of Texas at Austin

View of Denton Chapel.

Description: Photograph of the construction of the Little Chapel in the Woods, on the Texas State Women's College campus in Denton, Texas.
Date: March 10, 1939
Creator: United States. National Youth Administration.
Location Info:
Partner: Alexander Architectural Archive, University of Texas at Austin

View of Denton Chapel. Front and East Perspective.

Description: Photograph of front entrance and east side of the Little Chapel in the Woods, on the Texas State Women's College campus in Denton, Texas. It is an early modern stone building and has a round, stained-glass window above the entrance.
Date: November 3, 1939
Creator: United States. National Youth Administration.
Location Info:
Partner: Alexander Architectural Archive, University of Texas at Austin