Texas History Collection - 14 Matching Results

Search Results

[Calder Place house]

Description: Photograph of a house on Calder Place that was designed by Steinman and Golemon, Architects. The ornamental steel seen on the windows and patio were designed and provided by John Dollinger Jr., Inc. The back of the photo is stamped "Business Men's Studio 201 Main Street Beaumont, Texas"
Date: [1940..1949]
Partner: Tyrrell Historical Library

[Downtown and Port of Beaumont]

Description: Postcard of the Port of Beaumont on the Neches River with downtown Beaumont in the background. In the foreground, written in the grass, is "Port of Beaumont." At least five ships and a tugboat are visible at the port. The Kansas City Southern Lift Bridge is visible on the right side of the photograph and in the background downtown Beaumont buildings can be seen including the Jefferson County Courthouse. On the back of the postcard is printed the following: "The City of Beaumont is one of the Nation's most fascinating. It offers a wonderful climate and the warmest of Texas hospitality, blended with the salt tang of a major sea port and the brisk air of a mushrooming metropolis." The following companies are credited on the back of the postcard: "Color by Business Men's Studio" "The Edwards News Co., Beaumont, Texas" and "Plastichrome by Colourplate, Boston, Mass."
Date: [1940..1969]
Creator: The Edwards News Co.
Partner: Tyrrell Historical Library

First Christian Church, Richardson, Texas

Description: Wooden frame church, white clapboard siding. The middle section of the front (gable end) entends forward to form an entrance and upward to form a [bell?] tower. The double entrance door is covered with a decorative braced awning with a closed dormer. A sign over the door reads "First Christian Church." The roof is shingled, maybe wooden. A signpost is at the right edge of the picture, with the name of the church and the pastor's name. To the left of the main building is a lower building/annex with multiple doors and a side porch supported by posts. Trees are to the right and left of the mail building. Both buildings are surrounded by shrubs or low plants. The area is front of the building is paved. This photograph was probably taken at the location at Greenville Ave. and Polk St., Richardson, Texas. The church relocated to 601 E Main in April, 1958.
Date: 1940/1958
Partner: Richardson Public Library

[The Kilgore Family]

Description: Photograph of the Kilgore family standing together outdoors. Standing on the far left are Theodore Kilgore and Zonnie Knight Kilgore, the patriarch and matriarch of the family. In the middle of the group is Edna, Ullmann's wife, and Ullmann himself, holding their infant son, Theodore Jr., aka Teddy. The younger Kilgore sons, Joseph and Charles, are standing on the right.
Date: 1940
Partner: League City Helen Hall Library

[Long Street house]

Description: Photograph of a house on Long Street that was designed by Steinman and Golemon, Architects. The ornamental steel on the house was designed and provided by John Dollinger Jr., Inc. An automobile is parked in a garage to the far right.
Date: [1940..1949]
Partner: Tyrrell Historical Library

Pecan shellers of San Antonio: the problem of underpaid and unemployed Mexican labor

Description: A book about the livelihood of migrant Mexican pecan shellers. The book contains information concerning: the pecan-shelling industry in San Antonio, the earnings of the pecan shellers in 1938, the social lives of the pecan shellers, and the potential prospects of the pecan shellers.
Date: 1940
Creator: Menefee, Selden C.; Cossmore, Orin C. & Webb, John N.
Partner: UNT Libraries

[Thomas Road house]

Description: Photograph of a house on Thomas Road that was designed by Stone and Pitts, Architects. The ornamental steel around the windows and upper patio was designed by John Dollinger Jr., Inc. Two cars can be seen to the right of the house, one in the garage and another parked to the side. The back of the photo is stamped "Business Men's Studio 201 Main Street Beaumont, Texas"
Date: [1940..1949]
Partner: Tyrrell Historical Library

Wood's Cafe, early 1940s, McKinney

Description: High vantage point photo of the inside of the cafe, looking towards front door. This is a very busy lunch hour. Most of the men have either hung their hats on the wall rack or still have them on. Only two people have noticed the photographer, the rest are occupied by their meal or conversation. The door to the cafe is propped open, leaving the screen door to allow any sort of breeze in.
Date: 1940~
Partner: North Texas History Center