Texas History Collection - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

1937 Schreiner Institute Glee Club in Uniform

Description: Photograph of the Glee Club in uniform. Twenty five cadets and club director John A. Guinn pictured. Caption from 1937 Recall yearbook page lists members from left to right as follows; "BACK ROW: Wiley; Vaughn; Hadden; Davis, C.; Terrell; Brown, S.; Pressler; Houy; Hagood; Simmons; McCord; Jenkins, K.; Guinn, director. FRONT ROW: Staples; Palacios; Browning; Wendtland; Jarvis, L.; Jaeggli; Haggard; Jenkins, R.; Newton, F.; Bush; White, M.; Woollett." Club officers are identified as Frank Newton (President) and Leslie Jarvis (Secretary). Club activities included appearances at the Kerrville Rotary Club and Schreiner Institute concerts as well as competition in the junior college men’s division voice contests held at Hardin-Simmons University in Abilene, Texas on April 3, 1937 where the chorus won first place in its division and cadet Richard Jenkins was awarded top honor in the men’s solo contest.
Date: 1937~
Partner: Schreiner University

[Antlers Hotel in Diboll, Texas]

Description: Postcard of Antlers Hotel in Diboll, Texas. Looking through gates with "Antlers" on them, of the interior of the The Antlers' Coffee Shop at the The Antlers Hotel in Diboll, Texas. A fireplace can be seen in the center of the postcard. The hotel was open from 1939 until 1954 and owned by Southern Pine Lumber Company. It was designed by John Poindexter Cammack. At one time it was also known as "The Inn." On the front of the postcard is printed the following: "The Antlers--Largest Log Hotel in the South-Diboll, Texas" and "The Antlers Coffee Shop and Its Huge, Friendly Fireplace." On the back of the postcard is printed a road map from Texas towns and cities to Diboll and the following: "The Antlers--Largest Log Hotel in the South, 'Old as Yesterday--Modern as Today', Coffee Shop in Connection, Guest Rooms Strictly Modern." Please see The History Center in Diboll, Texas, for more information on the Antlers Hotel.
Date: [1939..1954]
Partner: Tyrrell Historical Library

Cadets Stand at Attention for Federal Inspection

Description: Photograph of a company of the Schreiner Institute cadet corps standing at attention for the annual federal inspection by officers from Fort Sam Houston. The Schreiner band and sponsors may be seen in the background as an officer inspects a cadet's rifle. The text on the back of the photograph identifies inspecting officer as Colonel Theodore K. Spencer who conducted the annual inspections from 1939 to 1941.
Date: 1936
Creator: Schreiner Institute
Partner: Schreiner University

[Charles Kilgore as a Teenager]

Description: Photograph of Charles Kilgore, the youngest son of Theodore Kilgore, as a teenager. The portrait, which is positioned in a decorative frame with the year 1930 typeset at the bottom, is a school photo for League City School.
Date: 1930
Partner: League City Helen Hall Library

Color Guard in Uniform

Description: The 1931-1932 Color Guard in uniform presenting the national and school "colors" with arms. Color Sergeant R. F. Flutsch holds the American flag and Color Private Jack Randle holds the Schreiner Institute flag during military exercises at the Schreiner Institute in Kerrville.
Date: [1931..1932]
Creator: Schreiner Institute
Partner: Schreiner University

[Congregation Ahavath Sholom Confirmation Certificate, 1934]

Description: A certificate of confirmation presented to Fay Rosenthal of the 1934 confirmation class at Congregation Ahavath Sholom. The certificate is signed by congregation Vice President L. F. Shanblum, Secretary Irving Klotzman, and Rabbi Philip Graubart. The confirmation class motto reads, "An Exalted Jewish Womanhood." The certificate has a gold seal with blue and white ribbons on it. At the top of the certificate, there is a picture of the Ten Commandments tablets.
Date: 1934
Partner: Fort Worth Jewish Archives

[Congregation Ahavath Sholom Confirmation Class, 1932]

Description: Copy photograph of the 1932 confirmation class at Congregation Ahavath Sholom. There are eleven girls in white dresses, holding bouquets and standing in a line on a platform. Their teacher, Jennie Moses (Winkler), and Rabbi Philip Graubart are standing in front of them. The students are Sylvia Engler (Roberts), Jesonda Gilbert (Fox), Sadye Maye Carshon (Garsek), Bessie Resnick, Lillian Rose Rabinowitz (Rosenthal), Rebecca Laves, Pearl Paul, Gussie Kruger, Dorothy Dworkin (Glazer), Sarah Weisblatt (Kragen), and Rhoda Kershner.
Date: 1932
Partner: Fort Worth Jewish Archives

Dedication Program, Mrs. Roosevelt Giving the Introduction.

Description: Photograph of the dedication program of the Little Chapel in the Woods, on the Texas State Women's College campus in Denton, Texas. The photograph shows First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt giving the introduction at the front entrance to the chapel.
Date: November 2, 1939
Creator: United States. National Youth Administration.
Location Info:
Partner: Alexander Architectural Archive, University of Texas at Austin

Denton T.S.C.W. Chapel.

Description: Photograph of the construction of the Little Chapel in the Woods, on the Texas State Women's College campus in Denton, Texas.
Date: April 10, 1939
Creator: United States. National Youth Administration.
Location Info:
Partner: Alexander Architectural Archive, University of Texas at Austin