Network maintenance July 27th between 7:30AM and 8:00AM CDT may cause service disruptions.

Texas History Collection - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[1940 Buick Convertible]

Description: Photograph of a 1940 red Buick convertible that belonged to Joseph Kilgore. The car is heading down a small dirt road in League City.
Date: 1941
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: League City Helen Hall Library

[Cafeteria Employees' Banquet, c. 1942]

Description: Group portrait of participants in a banquet for Texas State College for Women's African American cafeteria employees and their wives, c. 1942. Pictured, back row, left to right are: Luther Lambert, Anna Lambert, Othello Hill, T. C. Hill, Velma Berry, Mr. Hollis, Norvell Hill Williams, Sanford Williams, Amanda Mohair, and Noble Holland. Pictured, front row, left to right are: C. J. Peace, Erma Peace, Mr. Miller, Dilly Miller, Dorothy Fox Fox, James Otis Fox, Lavada Hamilton, and Cliff Hamilton.
Date: c. 1942
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Other

[Cafeteria Employees' Banquet, c. 1942_digitally restored]

Description: Group portrait of participants in a banquet for Texas State College for Women's African American cafeteria employees and their wives, c. 1942. Pictured, back row, left to right are: Luther Lambert, Anna Lambert, Othello Hill, T. C. Hill, Velma Berry, Mr. Hollis, Norvell Hill Williams, Sanford Williams, Amanda Mohair, and Noble Holland. Pictured, front row, left to right are: C. J. Peace, Erma Peace, Mr. Miller, Dilly Miller, Dorothy Fox Fox, James Otis Fox, Lavada Hamilton, and Cliff Hamilton.
Date: c. 1942
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Other

[Calder Place house]

Description: Photograph of a house on Calder Place that was designed by Steinman and Golemon, Architects. The ornamental steel seen on the windows and patio were designed and provided by John Dollinger Jr., Inc. The back of the photo is stamped "Business Men's Studio 201 Main Street Beaumont, Texas"
Date: [1940..1949]
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Tyrrell Historical Library

[Congregation Ahavath Sholom Confirmation Class, 1949]

Description: Photograph of the 1949 confirmation class of at Congregation Ahavath Sholom. There are four girls in white dresses, holding bouquets and standing in a line. One boy stands at the center in the front row in a dark suit and tie. The teachers, Helen Levenson and Charlotte Siegel, and Rabbi Charles Blumenthal and Rabbi Isadore Garsek are standing behind them. The group is posed on the bimah (altar) at the synagogue. The students are Sandra Zaetler, Pearl Katz, David Rubin, Barbara Walensky, and Lillian Sankary.
Date: May 29, 1949
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Fort Worth Jewish Archives

[Dallas Park Board Minutes, Book 11]

Description: Minutes for the Dallas Park Board containing a record of the group's discussions, decisions, and other business. Indexes start after page 600.
Date: 1946/1953
Creator: Dallas (Tex.). Park Department.
Item Type: Book
Partner: Dallas Municipal Archives

[Display Window at T.A. Kilgore Grocery Store]

Description: Photograph of the display window at T.A. Kilgore Grocery Store in Dickinson, Texas. Cans of Bee Brand products set in pyramid formations line the bottom of the window. Above the cans are five posted signs advertising various produce for sale. The reflection of a building across the street is visible in the glass. A handwritten note on the back of the photo reads, "This is a picture of the window by the produce stand. On one of the signs you will notice my mistake I told you about. The window has a display of Bee Brand products on it."
Date: 1942
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: League City Helen Hall Library

[Downtown and Port of Beaumont]

Description: Postcard of the Port of Beaumont on the Neches River with downtown Beaumont in the background. In the foreground, written in the grass, is "Port of Beaumont." At least five ships and a tugboat are visible at the port. The Kansas City Southern Lift Bridge is visible on the right side of the photograph and in the background downtown Beaumont buildings can be seen including the Jefferson County Courthouse. On the back of the postcard is printed the following: "The City of Beaumont is one of the Nation's most fascinating. It offers a wonderful climate and the warmest of Texas hospitality, blended with the salt tang of a major sea port and the brisk air of a mushrooming metropolis." The following companies are credited on the back of the postcard: "Color by Business Men's Studio" "The Edwards News Co., Beaumont, Texas" and "Plastichrome by Colourplate, Boston, Mass."
Date: [1940..1969]
Creator: The Edwards News Co.
Item Type: Postcard
Partner: Tyrrell Historical Library

The Early History of Floyd County

Description: This book discusses the history of Floyd County, Texas, including the general organization of the county, the first settlers and settlements, battles, expeditions, and notable individuals. The index begins on page 141.
Date: 1947
Creator: Hall, Claude V.
Item Type: Book
Partner: UNT Libraries

First Christian Church, Richardson, Texas

Description: Wooden frame church, white clapboard siding. The middle section of the front (gable end) entends forward to form an entrance and upward to form a [bell?] tower. The double entrance door is covered with a decorative braced awning with a closed dormer. A sign over the door reads "First Christian Church." The roof is shingled, maybe wooden. A signpost is at the right edge of the picture, with the name of the church and the pastor's name. To the left of the main building is a lower building/annex with multiple doors and a side porch supported by posts. Trees are to the right and left of the mail building. Both buildings are surrounded by shrubs or low plants. The area is front of the building is paved. This photograph was probably taken at the location at Greenville Ave. and Polk St., Richardson, Texas. The church relocated to 601 E Main in April, 1958.
Date: 1940/1958
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Richardson Public Library