Texas History Collection - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

Main Street at US Highway 75, Richardson, Texas

Description: Looking north west, the intersection of Main Street / Belt Line Rd. and the east-side frontage road of U. S. Highway 75 (Northbound). A pile of dirt/rocks is on the left foreground; center front is an eroded ditch that is covered by a concrete culvert at Main Street. Two cars are visible on Main Street, and 2 more are parked north of Main Street, on the right side of the photograph. Multiple real estate/housing development signs are on the intersection corners. Buildings are visible in the right background, through leafless trees and shrubs. Signs: Carter Built Homes - AZALEA PARK - Carter Const Co TEX-ANN Lutheran Church ...ier Homes - Mimosa & Cypress Drive ..5-2527 FINESSE HOMES
Date: 1958
Creator: Martin, Jerry
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Richardson Public Library

Main Street (Belt Line Rd) and Central Expressway (US Hwy 75) Intersection, 1988, Richardson, Texas

Description: Intersection of multi-lane, partially divided street with expressway access road. Motor vehicles are shown parked in a parking lot with angled parking. To the right/east is a strip of retail businesses. On the left/west is the northbound access road to an elevated portion of North Central Expressway. West Main Street extends under the Expressway. On the center horizon is a multi-story building (FirstCity Bank) with horizontal rows of windows. Right/east of that building the top of a water tower is just visible above trees. Three flags on poles are on the north side of West Main, at the edge of the bank parking lot. Motor vehicles are visible on all streets. Signs on buildings: FirstCity Bank, Barton & Howell Dry Cleaners, The Shoemaker Shoe Service, Ali's Master[?] Alterations, Custom Cloth[?]. Signs on poles: Pizza Villa, Central Center / Dry Cleaning, Laundry & Cleaning. Also: Street lights on poles, traffic signs and signals. Additional Information: Shown is the 300 block of West Main St. (which is Belt Line Rd east and west of the downtown area).
Date: 1988
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Richardson Public Library

Main Street, Elevated View, Richardson, Texas

Description: Elevated view of Main Street (Belt Line) from a water tower, looking southwest. The main commercial block has brick and wooden buildings, most with awnings, many with false fronts. Four cross streets are visible; Main Street curves off just at the right edge of the photograph. The railroad, with crossings signs, is in the horizontal center of the picture. Also visible are residences, a long storage/warehouse railroad structure to the left of Main Street and the Train Station to the right of Main Street. Automobiles are parked on the commercial block and are visible on Main Street. Plowed/cultivated fields and a few buildings are visible on the horizon.
Date: 1927
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Richardson Public Library

Main Street, Richardson, Texas

Description: View down an unpaved street, wheel tracks visible, with buildings visible on both sides. On the left is a 3 or 4 store row of false fronted buildings with awnings in front. Behind them is a single building with the gabled ends perpendicular to the street. A railroad crossing sign is visible. On the horizon is a large barn. Both sides of the street have electrical/utility poles. On the right is a row of buildings/stores with awnings, some with false fronts. It looks as if there is a cross street just in front of the blocks of buildings, with another at the railroad crossing sign. View is to the west, of Main Street, Richardson, which is continuous with (and connects) East & West Belt Line Rds.
Date: 1910
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Richardson Public Library

Main Street, with wagons, Richardson, Texas

Description: View down an unpaved street, with buildings visible on both sides. On the left is a partially visible building, buildings and cranes in the background, and a one-horse cart or buggy. On the right are electrical poles, a pitched roofed building, a row of three storefronts, the near two with false fronts. In front of the storefronts are 2 large wagons, with the wheels of a third barely visible. The wagons are facing away and appear to be filled with crops, silage, corn or hay. The wagons are hitched to pairs of mules or horses. View is to the west, of Main Street, Richardson, which is continuous with (and connects) East & West Belt Line Road.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Richardson Public Library

Maple Street at Abrams Road, Richardson, Texas

Description: Unpaved, uncurbed, street, intersecting with a paved street. The unpaved street has wood-clad houses on both sides. Those on the left side are more visible. Just the roof of one house is visible on the right. Some, but not all, homes have front sidewalks. There are utility poles and lines on both sides of the street. At the intersection, in the foreground of the picture, a street sign is on the left, and a fire hydrant is on the right. Most houses have shrubbery and trees, with more mature trees in the background and horizon. A delivery van/truck is just visible at the back end of the street, and the back of one car is on the right edge, in a driveway. Additional information: This is the 300 block of Maple Street, looking east from Abrams Road, toward Greenville Ave. The houses were built in the late 1940s and early 1950s.
Date: August 1959
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Richardson Public Library

Maple Street at Abrams Road, Richardson, Texas

Description: Intersection of two paved streets. A street sign at the left side of the photo reads "Abrams Rd" "and "Maple St." Houses on the left side of Maple St [center of the photograph] have light-colored roofs and front driveways. Most yards have small trees. There are no sidewalks. Two cars are on the street, and other cars are visible near the horizon, in driveways. Additional information: This is the 400 block of Maple Street, looking east from Abrams Rd. Maple terminates on the east at Grace Dr. Many of the houses were built in 1953.
Date: August 1959
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Richardson Public Library

Maple Street at Abrams Road, Richardson, Texas

Description: [This is a slightly different view of V 28b.] Unpaved, uncurbed, street, intersecting with a paved street. The unpaved street has wood-clad houses on both sides. Some, but not all, homes have front sidewalks. There are utility poles and lines on both sides of the street. Most houses have shrubbery and trees, with more mature trees in the background and horizon. A delivery van/truck is just visible at the back end of the street, and the one car is parked in a driveway on the right side. The left edge of the street has tire-tracks visible. Additional information: This is the 300 block of Maple Street, looking east from Abrams Road, toward Greenville Ave. The houses were built in the late 1940s and early 1950s.
Date: August 1959
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Richardson Public Library

Matt Turner and wife, Richardson, Texas

Description: Copy of a photograph, a man and a woman, head and chest visible. The formal portrait is a horizontal oval mounted on stock. The man has a beard and moustache, is wearing a suitcoat and vest, with shirt and tie. The woman is wearing a dark dress, with dark moire satin bow at the neck, a brooch on her left side, and an earring visible on her left ear.
Date: 1890/1910
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Richardson Public Library

McKamy Springs, Richardson, Texas

Description: Natural spring, with a stone and concrete structure built around and over it. A half-dome stone-trimmed 'grotto' covers the spring. A man-made canal channels the visible water. A plaque is set into a stone/cement low monument inside the canal. It reads: "The Yoiuane tribe of the Caddo group of Indians lived here as early as 1690 to 1840. They hunted buffalo and deer on the prairie. They used McKamy Spring as a watering place. It was from these friendly Tejas Indians that Texas got her name." The spring is located within a 2 acre park, called McKamy Spring Park, in south-east Richardson. Native people last known to have camped at the spring were of a Caddoan-speaking tribe. The Bowser family once owned the property, and then T. F. McKamy (1925-1927). Part of the old stagecoach route extending from Breckenridge ran near this site as well.
Date: 1920/1930
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Richardson Public Library

Newt Harris Barber Shop, Richardson, Texas

Description: Barber shop interior, with 3 chairs facing a mirrored counter, and 2 men visible. No sinks, individual shaving mugs reflected in mirror, gas light. Electrical or pneumatic equipment visible.
Date: May 16, 1919
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Richardson Public Library

Newt Harris Barber Shop, Richardson, Texas

Description: Barbershop interior, left to right: Newt [Thomas Newton] Harris owner, Walter Parks, Jack Echols, Dock Echols. 1 sink, ceiling fan, several electric lights, 2 barber chairs. Flag bunting draped above mirror. Additional information: Left to right: Newt [Thomas Newton] Harris owner, Walter Parks, Jack Echols, Dock Echols - Dallas Morning News 8/22/1984. Thomas Newton Harris, 30 Oct 1870 - 29 Jun 1952.
Date: 1930/1935
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Richardson Public Library

Pacific Circle, Richardson, Texas

Description: Cul-de-sac paved and curbed street (Pacific Circle), intersecting with paved and divided four-lane street (300 block, North Bowser Road). The street sign reads Bowser Rd and Pacific Cir [sign is incorrectly oriented]. Two houses, with front driveways, are visible; one car, a Volkswagen Beetle; 3 medium trees, various shrubs, utility poles and lines. The houses have chainlink fencing to their sides. Along the horizon, behind the houses, is the elevated railroad. Additional information. Written on back: Looking west into Pacific Circle. Note that street marker has been turned. Nov. 25, 1968
Date: November 25, 1968
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Richardson Public Library

Palm Circle, Richardson, Texas

Description: U-shaped paved and curbed street, intersecting a divided, four-lane, street (200 block, North Bowser Road). The u-shaped street (Palm Circle) has an island with low planting. Two houses, with front driveways and light-colored roofs, are on the street. Two cars are parked. A street sign shows Boswer Rd and Palm Cir. The houses are landscaped with small trees and shrubbery. Additional information: Written on back: Looking west into Palm Cir. showing railroad in the background Nov. 25, 1968
Date: November 25, 1968
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Richardson Public Library

Pittman Street and Grove Road, 1968, Richardson, Texas

Description: Intersection of Pittman Street and Grove Road, looking northeast. Taken from Pittman Street, the photograph shows the NW corner of the "T" intersection (Pittman Street terminates). At the corner is the street sign, a fire hydrant, and a support cable for a utility pole. That corner of the intersection has concrete curbs and sidewalks. To the east of Grove Road is a large, cut/mowed. field. One small clump of trees is on the left, and a small area of un-cut grass/crop is on the right. The elevated railroad is on the horizon. Just visible above the hydrant is the railroad underpass on Frances Way. Low, long, light-colored roofs are behind the left portion of the railroad. Just left/north of the underpass, behind the railroad, is a water tower.
Date: November 25, 1968
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Richardson Public Library

Pittman Street, East from Abrams Road, 1959, Richardson, Texas

Description: Pittman Street, 300 block, looking east from Abrams Rd. The streets are blacktop with no curbs or sidewalks. Utility poles on the right/north side of Pittman carry lines to houses on both sides of the street. The home partially visible on the left has a television antenna attached. An alley, proceeding right/north, with a culvert, is on the right/north of the street. Large trees line the eastern portion of the street as it approaches the horizon.
Date: August 1959
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Richardson Public Library

Pittman Street, West from Abrams Road, 1959, Richardson, Texas

Description: Pittman Street, 400 block, looking west, from Abrams Road. This block of Pittman is paved, with curbs. Five houses are visible on the left/north side of Pittman. The houses with the white roofs were built ca 1953. The house with the darker rook has a chimney. The 300 block of Pittman, in the lower left corner, is blacktop, with no curbs. A school zone sign and the street sign are at the NE corner of the intersection.
Date: August 1959
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Richardson Public Library

Polk Street, 1988, Richardson, Texas

Description: Polk Street, looking east, slightly elevated, from the northbound access road of North Central Expressway. Polk Street is four lanes, with curbs and sidewalks. On either side are retail buildings: Business signs on the left: Auto Insurance 644-000; Ray Vernon Optician; Lee's Catfish. Two cars are moving east on Polk at Sherman Street. On the left horizon is the Southwestern Bell Telephone building. One bicycle rider is in the center of the street, moving east.
Date: 1988~
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Richardson Public Library

Polk Street and Central Street, Richardson, Texas

Description: Polk Street, looking east. This photograph is a close-up view of the center of photograph RPL007d. The North Texas Lumber Company building on the right/south is between Central Street and the Houston & Texas Central Railroad. On the rails is a Southern Pacific boxcar. In front of the rail car is a long flatbed truck partially loaded with cargo.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Richardson Public Library

Polk Street at North Central Expressway, Richardson, Texas

Description: Polk Street, looking west, toward North Central Expressway, which is elevated. Polk Street terminates at the northbound access road of the Expressway. The center and right side of the picture show the grassy area between Polk Street and the Floyd Branch of Cottonwood Creek. A concrete culvert is to the right of Polk Street, but the area over it is not paved. Two cars are stopped at the intersection, and the tops of two cars can be seen on the expressway. There are trees and utility poles and lines. On the right/north side of the photograph, behind/west of the expressway, is a water tower.
Date: August 1959
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Richardson Public Library

Polk Street Bridge, Richardson, Texas

Description: Polk Street, bridge over Floyd Branch of Cottonwood Creek, looking northeast toward Main Street. Sherman Street extends south from the left side of the photograph (not visible). The street sign is just to the left/west of the bridge. There is a gap in the north/south pavement between Polk and Main Streets where Sherman Street might extend north toward Main Street. Leafed trees are along both sides of the picture, beyond the bridge. Utility lines and poles go along both sides of the right-of-way. Buildings and cars are visible. Past the intersection with Main Street, on the left/west is Children's Wonderworld, 113 Sherman, a toy and hobby store. This photograph appears to have been taken at the same time as RPLv007a.
Date: August 1959
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Richardson Public Library

Polk Street Bridge, Richardson, Texas

Description: Polk Street, bridge over Floyd Branch of Cottonwood Creek, looking north toward Main Street. Sherman Street extends south from the left side of the photograph (not visible). There is a gap in the north/south pavement between Polk and Main Streets where Sherman Street might extend north toward Main Street. Leafed trees are along both sides of the picture, beyond the bridge. Utility lines and poles go along both sides of the right-of-way. Buildings and cars are visible. Past the intersection with Main Street, on the left/west is Children's Wonderworld, 113 Sherman, a toy and hobby store.
Date: August 1959
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Richardson Public Library