Texas History Collection - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

Life of J. W. Holston

Description: Handwritten manuscript by John Willis Holston. Chronicles his family's journey to Texas from Mississippi in 1869. Includes stories from his days as a cowboy on a cattle drive, and his two year service as a Texas Ranger.
Date: 1930~
Creator: Holston, John Willis
Item Type: Book
Partner: UNT Libraries

Texas Navy

Description: A survey of the Texas Navy during the Texas Revolution and the Republic Era. Includes maps, sketches, a list of ships of the Texas Navy, and a chronology. Also includes photographs of 20th century U.S. Navy ships named after Texans or Texas locations.
Date: January 1, 1968
Creator: U.S. Navy Department. Naval History Division.
Item Type: Book
Partner: UNT Libraries

[Bell County Ex Confederate Association Ledger]

Description: A ledger that chronicles Confederate veterans who settled in Bell County, Texas, after the Civil War. The ledger lists members by the state they enlisted in, and often includes notes on where a particular person fought, and may note a date of death.
Date: 1888
Creator: Bell County Ex Confederate Association
Item Type: Book
Partner: Lena Armstrong Public Library

Interurban Depot, Richardson, Texas

Description: Interurban Express Depot, Richardson, Texas. Standing in front of building: J. T. Pierce, Station Manager 1900-1916 (wearing suit). Unidentified men and boy.
Date: 1908
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Richardson Public Library

Richardson Medical Center, B. B. Owen Memorial Hospital, Richardson, Texas

Description: White brick masonry multi-story, multi-level building. The tallest, center portion has a sign at the top, RICHARDSON MEDICAL CENTER B. B. OWEN MEMORIAL HOSPITAL. This center portion is flanked on both sides by the main portion of the building, which is shorter and has vertical columns of windows. In the front of the picture is the lowest portion of the building, with ground-level windows and one inset doorway. The doorway and windows are partially hidden by curving lines of low shrubs in the picture foreground. Portions of equipment, perhaps ventilation, are visible on roof areas. Additional information: Dallas Morning News, Dec. 18, 1975 "A 5-story hospital, scheduled for completion in August, 1977, will be built at 401 W. Campbell Rd. ... The building contract was given to J. A. Jones Construction Co." The hospital was dedicated Saturday, May 27, 1977. It was named in memory of Dallas businessman B. B. Owen. The hospital opened for business Tuesday, May 30, 1977. Bennie Bryan Owen was born on September 11, 1897, in Cisco, Eastland County. As a young man, he moved to Dallas County where he was principally involved with investments and investment loans. He was also involved in agriculture as he owned land in Dallas County. In the late 1960s, Owen moved to Collin County where he made his residence until his death on April 24, 1972.
Date: 1975/1977
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Richardson Public Library

First Christian Church, Richardson, Texas

Description: Wooden frame church, white clapboard siding. The middle section of the front (gable end) entends forward to form an entrance and upward to form a [bell?] tower. The double entrance door is covered with a decorative braced awning with a closed dormer. A sign over the door reads "First Christian Church." The roof is shingled, maybe wooden. A signpost is at the right edge of the picture, with the name of the church and the pastor's name. To the left of the main building is a lower building/annex with multiple doors and a side porch supported by posts. Trees are to the right and left of the mail building. Both buildings are surrounded by shrubs or low plants. The area is front of the building is paved. This photograph was probably taken at the location at Greenville Ave. and Polk St., Richardson, Texas. The church relocated to 601 E Main in April, 1958.
Date: 1940/1958
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Richardson Public Library

Huguley Gin, Richardson, Texas

Description: Huguley cotton gin, wood frame building. 9 men standing, 1 man seated in 1-horse buggy - in front of building. Abe (Abraham) M. Cain (wearing apron), 4th from left. 2 barrels, 1 saw-horse, construction materials visible. Additional information: Abe (Abraham) M. Cain, son of William Daniel & Fannie Cain, was an early alderman, went to work at age 13; did carpentry, built many buildings including the red [brick] school [administration] building. "Huguley" sometimes spelled Hugley.
Date: 1910/1915
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Richardson Public Library

Cotton Gin "Old Red", Richardson, Texas

Description: Cotton gin, two-story wooden frame building. Four 2-horsedrawn wagons containing cotton. 15 men visible. Telephone pole in foreground. Numerous outbuildings. Additional information: Telephone service in Richardson was established in 1900.
Date: 1900
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Richardson Public Library

Telephone Switchboard, Richardson, Texas

Description: Woman switchboard operator, seated at manual switchboard, wearing earphones. Pictures on wall, including advertisement for Remington typewriter with female typist. Numerous wires and connectors visible. The woman has been identified variously as Stella Moody, Mayfair Griffin, and Mrs. Strait, wife of Bill Strait, telephone lineman.
Date: 1900~
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Richardson Public Library

Richardson Telephone Company Exchange, Richardson, Texas

Description: Oliver Harben standing; Mayfair? Griffin, operator, sitting in front of telephone switchboard equipment; Mattie Lucas Lawler Blewett Parks sitting against wall. Tall cabinet in foreground. Written on back: Written on back: Oliver Harben [standing], Mayfair? Griffin [sitting, wearing headphones], Mattie Lucas Lawler Blewett Parks [sitting]
Date: 1900~
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Richardson Public Library

Gulf [Gasoline] Station, Richardson, Texas

Description: Gulf gasoline station with covered drive-through, 4 pumps, 2 air compressors, corner of Main Street and Greenville Avenue. Advertising pole with 2 lights. Tillman Jones standing in front of station; young child standing near building. Water tower in background. Additional information: Corner of Main Street and Greenville Avenue.
Date: 1934
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Richardson Public Library

Stratton Bros. Brick Garage, Richardson, Texas

Description: Exterior of garage, brick construction. Three Stratton brothers standing in front: left to right, Kenneth Stratton, Jim Stratton, William Statler (Bill) Stratton. "Ford (tm) Authorized Service Station" sign on front. One gas pump in front of building.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Richardson Public Library

Stratton Bros. Garage interior, Richardson, Texas

Description: Left to right: William (Bill) Statler Stratton, Kenneth Stratton, Jim Stratton. Visible on the left is the Model T they built from new and used parts. "Goodrich Tires - Best in the Long Run" sign hanging from the ceiling. Various machinery and parts.
Date: 1919
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Richardson Public Library

Stansell Brothers, Richardson, Texas

Description: Seven men standing in back of store. Canned, bottled, and bagged goods visible. Bins and other containers holding vegetables. "We Sell Black Bear" standing card on counter.
Date: 1898~
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Richardson Public Library

Reddick Grocery Store, Richardson, Texas

Description: Three men standing in grocery store. Unknown McKamy (left), Tom McKamy (center), Charlie Reddick (right.) Fresh fruits and vegetables, canned goods, banana stalk hanging from ceiling hook.
Date: 1910/1920
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Richardson Public Library

Country Store [Grocery], Richardson, Texas

Description: Fred [P] Winkler (owner), Morgan Gant, Billy Giles, James Tune, Clarence Hastedt and Tillman Jones, youths Ronny Clark and Jackie Fielder, all wearing aprons, standing in an aisle. Assortment of groceries, some brand names visible, on left and right. Written on back: Fred Winkler, Morgan Gant, Billy Giles, James Tune, Clarence Hastedt and Tillman Jones. 1953. (2 youths, Ronny Clark and Jackie Fielder, standing in front) all wearing aprons. Additional information: [Richardson 1959-1960 Directory, paid listing: COUNTRY STORE, Fresh Meats and Groceries, 100 East Main Street, Fred P. Winkler, Owner, Phone ADams 5-5351]
Date: 1953
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Richardson Public Library